PDA

View Full Version : New owner with 2.6 Avant

pockets
27-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi there, I've just bought a 1994 Audi Avant 2.6 Auto and I don't have any manuals so I have a few questions:1zhelp:.

There is a fluid reservoir on the passenger inner wing, it contains red fluid and the notice on it says Hydraulic fluid only-is this for gearbox? I hope to god its not got self leveling rear suspension because the power steering pump has packed up and they are far more expensive if it has self leveling although the Audi parts dept chappie looked up the spec of the car and thought id didn't have self leveling.

The speedo packed up (thats two major problems I've had within one day of ownership!) but it packed up after I pressed the button to reset the trip odo-I had the instrument cluster out but nothing looked out of the ordinary. Any suggestions? the fact that it died after pressing the reset knob leads me away from the transducer in the box.

The fourth button in the instrument cluster looks pushed in but its supposed to sit there judging but the innards, what does it do? is it some sort of calibrating device for the fuel guage?

The only information I could find regarding cambelts said inspect every 36k miles, nothing about actual replacement-is this normal?

The central locking doesn't work, is it nearly always the vacuum pump in the boot or could it be any componant in the system?

Does the 2.6 ABC engine have any weak areas or indeed the cars themselves? looking at the crank case breathing system there appears to be a few hoses blanked off around the nearside bank of cylinders, they don't go anywhere-does this sound standard?

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Rich

mattyc94
28-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Flip quite the first post...

Fluid reservoir - brake fluid? will check tomorrow.
Speedo - my odometer stopped ticking over for a while but after giving the dash a good seeing to ;) it started working again.
Fourth button - only two knobs I have of use is the one for the clock and one for odometer.
Cambelt - when was it last changed? many miles on her?
Central Locking - vacuum pump, had the same issue with mine.
Not sure about your engine but the Audis in general are normally very well engineered.

Welcome and good luck!!

Matt

mattyc94
28-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Speedo :beerchug: - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52758

pockets
28-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Cheers Matt,

I did think transducer but then realised that it only stopped working after I pushed the odo reset button unless that is one hell of a coincidence.

I think the fluid tank on the nearside wing is probably power steering, it contains red fluid which is what threw me because isn't VW/Audi power steering fluid supposed to be green?

Mileage of the car is 75,000 also found different info saying every 80k but I thought it was either a time OR mileage thing whatever came first?

thanks

zollaf
28-11-2008, 11:44 AM
the fourth button is for calibrating the fuel guage, but quite how to do this im not sure . i did post the question on here a while back with no results.
if your hydraulic resevoir is full of red atf, i think you need to get it out asap, and replaced with green mineral oil, as atf can cause problems with seals etc...that is probably why you pas pump has gone.

pockets
28-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Do you think its worth trying to replace the seal on the top of the pump by the big cross headed screw or do you think i'd be better just getting a re-con?
I wonder if I'll get any problems with the rack if its had the wrong oil in it.

johnlyn
06-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I replaced the rubber `O` ring seal under the big cross head screw approx 20K ago with no probs since, with regards to the atf in system, I cleaned my hydraulic system with Citroen hydraflush, used approx one gallon to flush system about four times then topped up with Audi mineral oil.
Good luck

pockets
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Well today I replaced the power steering pump-I have a 2500 mile trip to make so I needed piece of mind, the brakes started to play up as well as the brake booster is connected to the pump so rather than risk it I'd replace it-cost me £160 just for a re-con pump:( bit better than the £434 Audi wanted though.

Had I just used the car around here then yes I'd be quite happy to try to replace the seal first, just didn't fancy any issues on the trip.