PDA

View Full Version : Puncture

brybrybry
27-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi guys and gals, just wondered what your opinion on home puncture repair kits are.

I seem to have the worst luck and am now on my fourth puncture on my rear nearside tyre, previously they have been punctured right on the edge of the tyre near the wall, which every garage I have taken the tyre to say is unrepairable but this time it is only 5mm out side the "legal" area so thought id have a go at repairing it myself. So have got a kit of ebay. Is the puncture likely to fail? I have tried using the liquid repair in the tyre but that didnt work.

Sam
27-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi guys and gals, just wondered what your opinion on home puncture repair kits are.

I seem to have the worst luck and am now on my fourth puncture on my rear nearside tyre, previously they have been punctured right on the edge of the tyre near the wall, which every garage I have taken the tyre to say is unrepairable but this time it is only 5mm out side the "legal" area so thought id have a go at repairing it myself. So have got a kit of ebay. Is the puncture likely to fail? I have tried using the liquid repair in the tyre but that didnt work.

I've made bold the key points here!

Garages are refusing to repair it for a reason.

Liquid tyre didn't work.

If you carry anyone other than yourself in the car, you owe it to them to get it done properly. Should the worst happen, and your shoddy repair is the reason, you're going to feel pretty <poo> ;)

brybrybry
28-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes I know your right, just thought it may be worth a go, new tyre has been ordered and will be fitted next week as the kit still isnt here and im currently borrowing a spare alloy wheel from my brother but that has a slow puncture!

Just a pain and starting to get paranoid that someone has it in for me, 4 punctures on the same wheel all in a similar place in the last 18 months! how much bad luck can one person have!

Eshrules
28-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes I know your right, just thought it may be worth a go, new tyre has been ordered and will be fitted next week as the kit still isnt here and im currently borrowing a spare alloy wheel from my brother but that has a slow puncture!

Just a pain and starting to get paranoid that someone has it in for me, 4 punctures on the same wheel all in a similar place in the last 18 months! how much bad luck can one person have!

try:

entire passenger side keyed
3 nailed tyres, all the same
4 slashed tyres (all 4 at once)

all in the 2 years of owning the golf. Living in Manchester is not funny at times, but hey, we have to play the hand we're dealt. ;)

brybrybry
28-11-2008, 10:53 AM
try:

entire passenger side keyed
3 nailed tyres, all the same
4 slashed tyres (all 4 at once)
all in the 2 years of owning the golf. Living in Manchester is not funny at times, but hey, we have to play the hand we're dealt. ;)

Ouch that is some really bad luck. Was it random acts of destruction or did someone have a serious grudge against you?

audipersempre
28-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Sadly new tyres are more prone to punctures as the tread is deeper and rear tyres are most at risk as the fronts tend to 'flick' stuff into the air which then embeds in the rear tyres :(

wingers1982
03-12-2008, 12:46 AM
im a tyre centre manager have been in the trade for 6years tyre shops work to legal standards we can be prosicuted if we repair a puncture outside the limits and it causes an accident its coz the air tight seal on the back would go on to the wall and thats where the tyre flex's now if them home kits where good tyre shops would use them it would save alot of time, i've woked with plant machines and i've seen them fail loads of times now imagine ur doing 70mph on the motorway and that comes out!!!!!! i would say just chuck it in the bin or use it in a proper emergency like 2 flats now alot of companies wont touch the tyre to repair it on 3 reasons to close to side wall, to many repairs in 1 tyre and you have put that crap in the tyre it reacts with the glue we use and its a messy smelly job just get a new tyre pal peace of mind

ScouseNinja
03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
im a tyre centre manager have been in the trade for 6years tyre shops work to legal standards we can be prosicuted if we repair a puncture outside the limits and it causes an accident its coz the air tight seal on the back would go on to the wall and thats where the tyre flex's now if them home kits where good tyre shops would use them it would save alot of time, i've woked with plant machines and i've seen them fail loads of times now imagine ur doing 70mph on the motorway and that comes out!!!!!! i would say just chuck it in the bin or use it in a proper emergency like 2 flats now alot of companies wont touch the tyre to repair it on 3 reasons to close to side wall, to many repairs in 1 tyre and you have put that crap in the tyre it reacts with the glue we use and its a messy smelly job just get a new tyre pal peace of mind

Spot on. No punture repairs outside the center 3 quaters of the tyre was the rule when I did my apprecticeship 10 years back:beerchug:

And the likes of tyre weld being used resulted in us refusing to reapir the tyre due to the hassle/mess of cleaning it out afterwards.

zollaf
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
the home repair kits, as used by the AA i believe, involving a piece of rubber covered in glue being pushed into the tyre, are used solely as a get you home temporary repair. you are then limited to 50 mph , and only for a maximum of 30 miles.<if i remember rightly>. great for getting you home when your spare is flat or you dont have one, but thats all they are good for.

size12
07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
It may be worth asking around the tyre centers to see if any of them can send it away for a major repair, it costs about £40 and takes about a week to turn around and the repair is up to British standards.

Frelon
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
The last two "professional" repairs I had done were different. One put a patch on the inside of the tyre, like the patches I used to use on my bicycle tyres.

The other stuck a device through the hole and pulled through a rubber plug (coated with lubricant/adhesive) then cut off the protruding end of the rubber flush with the surface.

Both seemed to do the trick and certainly did not cost £40!!!

How do the professionals viewing or lurking here recommend that puncture repairs are carried out?

size12
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I did say Major repair not just a normal run of the mill repair.

the types of repair that you are talking about are both BS approved as long as the hole is filled if using a patch, but most prefer the mushroom plug type for added ease and security, these are what you get in most garages.

the major repair for holes beyond the central 3/4 they strip all the tread from the affected area plug and patch the hole then baked in an autoclave once cooled they rebuild the tread to original standard, the tyre will need sending away for this to be done though hence the £40.