PDA

View Full Version : A3 Quattro front suspension - feels very bouncy

jst99
27-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Guys,

I have had my A3 1.8T Quattro for a couple of weeks now but find the suspension bouncy....when I say bouncy it is almost like being on a boat - not what I would expect from a Quattro.

When I bought the car it has a set of 18" RS6 style alloys on it, would the previous owner had to play with the suspension to make these fit??

My first thought was knackered shocks, but being the Quattro, does it have standard springs and shocks??

The black caps under the bonnet on top of the struts seems raised, that's why I think he might of tweaked it in some way.

Look forward to your views and hope its not going to be an expensive fix

jst99

jst99
29-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Have had another look at the car today and both sides seem identical in the way it is raising up after being compressed so don't think it is the shocks.....can't believe they would both go at the same time, so wondering if the springs were changed when the previous owner put the 18's on.....a friend of mine put 18's on his old A3 and didn't have to play with the setup so not sure why they would have done.

Think it might be a trip to Audi to see what they say

jst99
03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Just as an update, took it to a performance centre and he confirmed both front shocks are shot, £75 a piece for genuine audi quattro replacements - got them on order

quattrostagioni
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi jst99,
How many miles has your car done; just that I have an a3 tdi quattro with 73k and was wondering when will my shocks go?

Cheers

Quattrostagioni

jst99
08-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Just under 95K m8, but guess the life the car has had will make a big difference - having only had the car a month or so I have no idea how it has been treated in its former life.....hopefully the shocks are the last thing......mine has suffered from most of the A3 common problems.......electric window clip broken, door lock switch showing door open, cam breather pipe perished......but running sweet now......forge 007 dv has made it sound fantastic :D :D