PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 2.0T S-Line - what is it like to drive & own?

Ben_H
26-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm looking for a more mature choice to replace my Clio 197 - the most recent of a string of petrolhead's cars. My natural attention is drawn to the S3, but I also fancy the more middle ranking A3 2.0T as a grown-up Golf GTi alternative.

I share my car with my wife and commute to work by bike, so the car is used primarily for town driving and weekend visits. I want something a little larger and more classy, but not at the cost of driving experience (I've previously owned a diesel and didn't enjoy it!).

I can cobble together around £15k, which seems to bring an '07 2.0T S-Line into budget. Clearly the 2.0T isn't a bona fide hot hatch, but I was wondering what kind of experience people had of these cars - especially in terms of driving experience and as a compromise between an enthusiast's car and a sensible car.

Thanks! :D

Jo308
29-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I've had an A3 Sportback Sline quattro for a year and have been delighted with it. The 2.0 TFSi engine is superb - revs freely and delivers power from low down in the rev range; way better than my wife's 1.8T TT Roadster. The quattro system is essential for a car of this power IMO - I would not want to try getting power onto a wet road with FWD only.

The S-line seats are firm and give good support on long journeys. Boot is not huge, but fine for 2 with sensible luggage. On very poor roads the ride gets a bit bumpy - which is why my new S3 is coming with mag ride suspension-but it is not too bad.

Go for it and enjoy!

sukhig
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Own a 2.0T fsi quattro s-line. Definetly recommend it. Quick with excellent handling. Interior is great especially with the full s-line spec with light interior pack. Boot is small though. had loads of compliments on looks Definetly prefer this then my 2006 golf gti which i had for 3 weeks. Just make sure you get the right colour metalic black red look cool but even cooler is the white ones that i keep seeing. Also theres loads of tuning potential with these engines which hopefully i will be exploring. Good luck

jwbuchanan
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I've just swapped to a facelift 2.0T FWD S-Line from an RX-8.
Gets me an extra 10mpg, and it's not significantly slower. In fact, driving at about 8/10 it's probably faster.

Build quality is first rate, and it's a handsome car.

Still miss the Rex, but the A3 is in no way a disappointment.

koojo
14-12-2008, 07:33 PM
how small is the boot then?? seems an ok size (370ish litres) big enough to fit in a pram? looking at a4's previously but a3 may suit me better depending on boot size. my pal has a sprint blue s3 57 plate revo'd and its magnificent!!

mkc
16-12-2008, 10:11 AM
We have a 2005 A3 3 Door. I would not say that the boot is that small. We can fit in a huge pram chassis and lay the seat part on top without effecting the parcel shelf easily. However if you still need child seats getting into the back of the 3 door with a child seat is a nightmare. The front seats do not go far forward enough and then you need to climb into the back to put the seat in correctly with the seat belt (unless you use Isofix which we do not) Our 2005 model also has the option to switch off the passenger airbag if you need to put a baby in the front. I understand not all of them do so look for this feature if you need it. I see you are in Bristol, take a look at the Whitby Road dealer they have plenty out the front!

Cannnot comment on the engines as its a 1.9Tdi and our B8 is a 1.8T 160.

kodkod.84
31-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Get get get- the 2.0T is superb, and used in the S3, just tuned more.

onemanparty
01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Get get get- the 2.0T is superb, and used in the S3, just tuned more.

Agree with the above wholeheartedly.

I have had an A3 3dr 2.0T Sport and an S3 - Great engine - I can not wait until the 19th January to collect my new S3 Sportback

TFSIer
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Boot space on the Quattro is ~40 litres less than on the 2WD models due to rear transmission. The Sportback (5dr) is ~3" longer than the 3dr, mainly in the rear so this would be better for you both in terms of space and access if you need to fit child seats.

I'm happy with my 2.0 TFSi Sport Sportback having come from a Leon Cupra. Build quality, perormance, economy and space are all a bit better - but then I have paid a fair bit extra for it. S-Lines look nice but I don't like leather so the Sport suits better.