PDA

View Full Version : Key fob help

folkwagon
26-11-2008, 08:57 PM
First post so go easy.

Just acquired a Golf MK 5 TDi. Typically it comes with 1 key, the 3 button style, open, lock and hatch.

Have spent a good while looking how best to get another key but avoiding the £160 cost at the dealer that is suggested.

So far I have found the information below. It is even somewhere on this site.

http://vorsicht.org.hk/forums/archive/index.php?t-1819.html

I need to ensure I know the correct part no before getting one of these keys possibly via eBay. I understand it is in the fob somewhere. I am reluctant to start pulling it apart just in case it breaks. Therefore, could someone possibly try and describe how to dissect the fob so I can see the number.

I am then hoping that somebody here (http://www.advanced-locksmiths.co.uk/ukpostcodes/locate.php) can fix it up to work from the dagta stored on my key. I do not have the SKC but have read keys have been copied like Timpsons can do but sadly not for this key.

Any advice or solid way forward woud be appreciated.

Dante2411
12-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey, looks like we're in the same boat!! Just bought a MK5 Golf with only one key!!!

Don't be too afraid of taking aprt your current key. I did mine this morning...got a blunt knife and pushed in slowly into the groove in the middle (try pulling aprt with your hands first to see where it comes apart and push the blunt part into that area) and it should come apart. The code is on the bottom part.

Mine is HLO 1K0959753
434 MHZ

I'm thinking of buying one off ebay with the same code and then having it programmed up.

folkwagon
14-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey, looks like we're in the same boat!! Just bought a MK5 Golf with only one key!!!

Don't be too afraid of taking aprt your current key. I did mine this morning...got a blunt knife and pushed in slowly into the groove in the middle (try pulling aprt with your hands first to see where it comes apart and push the blunt part into that area) and it should come apart. The code is on the bottom part.

Mine is HLO 1K0959753
434 MHZ

I'm thinking of buying one off ebay with the same code and then having it programmed up.

Hi Mate, thanks for the reply. Due to no other response I kept looking and found a site with pics of how to do it. Pretty easy then! My key is the same number as yours but VW say a nee key for my car will be same ref but with a G on the end. I have a spare with the g but not having much luck synching to the locking before I even attempt to get the transponder coded. I have removed the battery of the remote in the hope it loses it original coding then it may work. There is a part number on the transponder sectino also, not sure if that is relevant to the transponder itself though. I believe they generic as long as it works on the golf V.

Let me know if you find a good way round the ridiculous price VW charge for a key. I have a BM and a new key coded at BMW is only £90. VW are really taking the P*** here.

Again thanks for the response.;)

Dante2411
14-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey, where did you get the spare from? And presumably would I need to look for a key code with a G on the end? (Gets more and more confusing!!)

Just for info - I've been ringing a few places local to where I live (West Yorkshire) all of them seem too reluctant to programme any key bought off the net...so still very unsure.

My local VW garage said they could look into a spare key without the remote functionality (So basically a key to manually unlock the car with and start it) I may pop down there tomorrow and see what they say.

You're right though, the dealers are a total rip off!!:mad:

folkwagon
15-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey, where did you get the spare from? And presumably would I need to look for a key code with a G on the end? (Gets more and more confusing!!)

Just for info - I've been ringing a few places local to where I live (West Yorkshire) all of them seem too reluctant to programme any key bought off the net...so still very unsure.

My local VW garage said they could look into a spare key without the remote functionality (So basically a key to manually unlock the car with and start it) I may pop down there tomorrow and see what they say.

You're right though, the dealers are a total rip off!!:mad:

PM sent

Dante2411
16-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the PM - I can't PM back ~(yet - not enough posts)

I work in Leeds so I'm familiar with the area.
Found this guide on ebay - http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-TRANSPONDER-KEYS_W0QQugidZ10000000007575434

Seems to ring true with the probs you are having

Another one here - http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Beware-remote-key-fob-buying-HELP-IS-HERE-MONEY-SAVER_W0QQugidZ10000000007890700

Found a locksmith in Bradford who can do it all for £150 - same day service.

I'll post back the transponder code later as the cars not here.

What a hassle eh?

Thanks

Dante2411
18-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey, sent you an email (might have to check your junk filter).

Cheers

BarneyBoy
20-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Try here:
http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

Pics'n'stuff... :D

folkwagon
20-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Try here:
http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

Pics'n'stuff... :D

Hi, I had found this after looking around for a while. However it was good of you to post it. I do not believe the person with those nails was separating that remote;)

JohnPierpoint
10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting that link to the battery disassembly photos. I'm now having intermittent alarm activation problems with my 03 Passat 1.9TDI (bought this year), and am just starting up the learning curve on the wonderful world of Passat alarm issues. From postings I've viewed so far on this and other forums, it looks like this is a common problem.
Crikey! Can't VW make a car with decent electrics?
Anyhow, this forum has proved to be very useful in pointing me in the right direction. Don't think it's the dreaded pollen filter / drain holes problem in this case (carpet is dry), but maybe a siren unit or connector issue, or battery in the remote key fob. So I wanted to make sure I knew how to replace the battery as a first step.

JohnPierpoint
11-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Tried locking using the mechanical key last night. So far, no re-occurence of the alarm sounding off.
Just found a huge crack in the plastic water deflector that surrounds the wiper arm spindles. This has to be the cause - water getting down the crack and onto the siren contacts or other bits. Suspect it happened when I had the last service done a few weeks ago.

JohnPierpoint
02-06-2009, 10:54 AM
This is off-topic, I know, but I thought I'd better clear up what I said in the previous post. The alarm issue turned out to be water getting in through a large crack in the plastic cover that the windscreen wipers come up through. I didn't notice the crack before it went for the last garage service/repair, so I can only assume it was bust during the repair.
Fixed it with a strip of Duck tape!