PDA

View Full Version : passat mk6 2007 mileage correction

mktsx
24-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I've recently changed my passat's 2.0 tdi mk6 2007 engine and I want to reset mileage, can this be done with vag tacho/vag can cimmander, if not can it be done with some other software? Also the airbag warning light is on, how can I turn it off? thnx

Eshrules
24-11-2008, 08:20 PM
IIRC

whether or not this can be done, I'm not entirely sure it's legal.

I am aware that mileage can be adjusted should odometer instrumentation be replaced, but the replacement of an engine....

I may well stand to be corrected here, but it's simply a case of collecting and retaining documentation to show when the engine was replaced, the vehicle itself has still covered the same mileage regardless.

I believe there are 3 main 'legal' reasons for odometer correction :

Replacement or second hand dashboard
import conversions (conversion from KPH to MPH)
faulty display readings/Fault Unit

You must also be aware, that if you sell the vehicle, you have a legal responsibility to inform the buyer that the vehicle has had it's mileage corrected. If you do not, you are committing a criminal offense. (as per sale of goods act).

kenney
24-11-2008, 08:38 PM
The mileage can not be reset with any VW equipement.I have heard of it being done on imported vehicles,to increase their value,so it can be done.It is as stated above highly illegal.

stuart
24-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Please also be aware that the two programs you mention can only be discussed if you purchase from the approved suppliers. If they are purchased from Auction sites they will be illegal copies.

therevrendjr
30-11-2008, 02:50 AM
adjusting the mileage is not illegal.....
the crime is commited when you pass the decreased mileage off as the REAL mileage.

stuart
30-11-2008, 11:56 AM
VW Equipment including VAG-COM can provide the correct vehicle milage for the car... This is stored in the ECU regardless of what the dash states..

I have tried this with my own car and VAG-COM, the milage on the ECU and the dash are within 3 miles of each other. May just be me, but unless you have had to replace th dash unit with a second hand unit, and wnat the mileage to "match" the old one, then all other reason seem illegal... my opinion only!

kenney
30-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi When replacing a dash insert,and using VAS equipment, the mileage can be adjusted,once and once only.If you do not adjust the new replacement unit,you can drive the vehicle 100km then it automatically,locks itself.On checking the vehicles history,on line,there has been several imported vehicles were the mileage had been reduced considerably,so it can be done.As they say there is always a way around everything.

therevrendjr
30-11-2008, 07:11 PM
i know alot about the dark art of so called "mileage correction" but have never delved into this area of the automotive market.
On VAG cars the mileage stored in the ecu will change when it is "corrected", what happens is you read the eeprom form the ecu (either directly or through the diagnostic port), save the mileage, erase it then change it THEN the same is done for the eeprom in the instrument cluster - thus providing a seemingly flawless and untraceable alteration of the actual odometer reading.
In some cases the only way to check if this has been done on your car is to have someone with the right sort of equipment, such as a"DASHFIXER" OR "ENIGMA MACHINE" and this can be used to check any previous alterations.

Some cars store the mileage on the key, BMWS and Mercedes for instance, the key has its memory erased then when it is placed in the ignition barrel the altered mileage is then transferred back to the key.

Other companies store the mileage in the CAN-BUS control gateway (Mercs MY>08+) and it cannot be decreased but if you fit a mileage blocker then the CAN-bus gateway mileage stays at the same value and when you have the car clocked again the mileage in the gateway can the be increased to the new increased but lesser value.

Alot of earning potential but alot of money if you **** up a full LCD dash on a new beemer or merc.

thrillseekin
10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
So there are two places that someone could change the mileage...How does a dashfixer read the actual mileage then?

therevrendjr
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
The dash fixer will change them both, it may ask you to do it twice but an expensive and sophistocated piece of equipment such as a dashfixer will do the job properly.

adamss24
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
The problem with dash fixer is that it messes-up bits in the eeprom's memory and to a trained eye it obvious that something is amiss. Also the instruments workshop code stored will always be 00000 after corection. They use so called back-doors to hack into the eeprom and ussualy dammage the eeprom by locking it so unless you do use the same machine, you wont be able to adjust the mileage anymore.