PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a new shape A3 1.6?

Matt S-Line
24-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a gorgeous A3 1.6 Sportback S-Line on Friday, which is stunning in pretty much every aspect.

I know that the 1.6 is an older engine and not that amazing performance-wise, but I've been stuck in diesels for years now and can't be doing with the noise, smell and smoke anymore! This, coupled with the fact that I'm usually stood still in city traffic, was my reasoning behind getting the standard 1.6....

However, has anyone else got the same car? I'm new to (modern) Audi ownership, and don't know anyone with a similar car.

I'd be keen to hear about fuel consumption, running in, interior niggles.... anything! :p

If there is anyone out there, feel free to reply or PM me.... many thanks!

Matt ;)

ky_9988
24-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I've ordered the same but the sportback. I chose 1.6 as I'm leasing it for 2 years and couldn't be asked forking out extra for a 1.8 or a 1.9tdi. Let me know how it runs as I've gotta wait another few weeks till mine arrives.

Matt S-Line
24-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi mate,

At the moment I've only done about 150 miles in it since delivery, and have been told to keep the engine revs below 4000rpm until I've clocked 1000 miles.

The 1.6 actually sounds quite meaty, with a nice growl when pushed. It's not as slow as everyone makes out, either, and I reckon once it's run in it'll fly along nicely.

My only gripe would be the lack of a 6th gear - I've just upgraded from a diesel Nissan Qashqai with 6, and it's so nice for motorway use as it saves fuel etc.

However, the 1.6 should return around 40mpg at 70mph, and it's pretty much silent inside the cabin at speed, so I can't complain.

At the end of the day, I wanted an Audi for the build and image, and it's brilliant for both. No rattles, no electrical faults, and with S-Line spec it looks the biz. Lovely low front splitter, 18" alloys, roof spoiler, running lights etc.... Gorgeous.

Would be good to keep in touch when you get yours - then if there are any issues we can compare and contrast!

M.

ky_9988
25-11-2008, 11:28 AM
No probs, it'll be good to compare and contrast.

Matt S-Line
26-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Strangely, I have a fault! Immediately makes this worthwhile!!

Car cut out whilst doing around 35mph in a straight line last night - very dangerous, and completely unexpected! It just completely lost power - like it had run out of fuel. I had to roll off of the road into a handy layby, and then realised that the dash displayed 'ESP faliure' and that the Engine Management light had come on.

Restarted the car and all was fine again, but today the same thing happened as I nipped out for lunch. Same warning lights, same remedy.

However I've booked the car in with Eastbourne Audi for Friday to have a safety check, and hopefully it won't be anything major. To their credit they were hugely apologetic, and promised to have the car fixed as soon as possible.

As the car is on Contract Hire i'm not majorly bothered - I'm off on holiday tomorrow, and so won't even be in town to worry about it.

However, I'll let you know what happens once Audi have had a look.....

ky_9988
27-11-2008, 06:09 PM
You're lucky it didn't happen on the Motorway, otherwise you would have had a bigger problem getting to the hard shoulder.

Hey, you don't reckon they have implemented a speeding device that cuts the engine if you go above 30mph do you, ha ha lol.... that would put a stop to the speeding, wouldn't it?

Anyways, enjoy your hols.

Oh, by the way, as I've not got my car yet, I'm gonna benefit from the 2.5% decrease in VAT. So my monthly instalments will be a few quid cheaper...ching ching...some loose chnage for the petty pumps.:biglaugh:

Matt S-Line
29-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, you're right - it would have been pretty catastrophic if i'd been doing any serious speed! :(

Audis are German, so I doubt any speed restrictors have been fitted! :p They love it!

Anyway - I returned this morning to a fixed up car by Eastbourne Audi - apparently there was an ECU fault which was causing cylinders 1 and 3 to misfire sporadically. An annoying fault, but apparently just a teething problem from the factory which could be rectified with a full electronic reset.

Car runs sooo much smoother now, and seems to feel alot more sprightly when accelerating. Really pleased that it was sorted so quickly, and Audi's service was incredible - they let me drop the car off a day early (as I was going away), kept me informed throughout by phone and texts, and gave the car a full valet before handing it back.

As it was pouring with rain when I collected the car, they even sent a skimpy blonde out with a mac and umbrella to drive it INSIDE their workshop for me so I didn't get wet - you can't get much better than that, can you?! :arms:

I previously had a Nissan Qashqai which went back to the dealer 12 times in a year and 8 months.... every time they were rude, thick and unwilling to help me out in any way whatsoever. Eastbourne Audi didn't even supply the car, but their service was top class. Well happy!