PDA

View Full Version : Vat?

martin@wolfy
24-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Slightly hyperthetical question but a good one.

I have my car due next week and with the expected level of Vat to be reduced today by 2.5% and presuming it comes into force this week what level would i pay on my car?

Obvioulsy when i ordered it was at 17.5% however i have only paid £500 deposit. I have asked a few people who own small business's and they say it is from the point of invoice date which should be when the car is registered and collected as the final bill is only known then.

Does anybody have a definitive answer?

wolfy!!!!!

mkc
24-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Well the man with a Badger hair do and eyebrows said it wouldnt come into effect until 1st December. No idea what effect that will have on your order as you have actually made the purchase now I guess but the invoice will show a "final payment" and a "made by" date so if thats after 1st of december does that count?

martin@wolfy
24-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Looking at the T & C's on my order the price paid is the "sellers rrp at the time of delivery" therefore as delivery will be after the 1st december (car built waiting to be shipped as of last Friday) hopefully Audi will be adjusting their prices to pass on this reduction and attract buyers.

wolfy!!!!

steve1234
24-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I think Audi will really have to pass this on unless they increase their base price to compensate for it which would be rather unethical!!!

If your final invoice date is after the 1st December then the VAT rate will be 15% - Audi's price lists always show the basic price excluding VAT, then add the VAT and then add the On-The-Road-Pack. So the base price should remain the same then the new rate of VAT then a slightly revised on the road pack really as there will be a VAT element in this as well but not on all of it as Road Tax and the £55 1st reg fee are exempt.

Simply put - your car should be the best part of 2.5% cheaper unless they pull a trick with the base price!! :beerchug:

Hex69
24-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Simply put - your car should be the best part of 2.5% cheaper unless they pull a trick with the base price!! :beerchug:

Were that true.....

It's only a 2.13% reduction, because only the VAT's being reduced by 2.5%, not the whole price. :mad:

As an aside, they were saying petrol should come down by 2ppl, which is good :D

steve1234
24-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm afraid when you read the details afetr the announcement this afternoon the duty on petrol is going up to nulify the reduction in VAT so the 2p reduction touted about earlier was a bit pie in the sky!! :(

bora(ing) nick
24-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm afraid when you read the details afetr the announcement this afternoon the duty on petrol is going up to nulify the reduction in VAT so the 2p reduction touted about earlier was a bit pie in the sky!! :(

I bet that won't be reduced when they put the VAT back upto 17.5%!!!

:zx11:

Plife
24-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Slightly hyperthetical question but a good one.

I have my car due next week and with the expected level of Vat to be reduced today by 2.5% and presuming it comes into force this week what level would i pay on my car?

Obvioulsy when i ordered it was at 17.5% however i have only paid £500 deposit. I have asked a few people who own small business's and they say it is from the point of invoice date which should be when the car is registered and collected as the final bill is only known then.

Does anybody have a definitive answer?

wolfy!!!!!
Give the dealer a call and see what they say....and then report back. I am in the same boat and a nice surprise discount would be good! My missus is picking mine up in under 2 weeks :aargh4:

Moodshadow
24-11-2008, 08:10 PM
From an accounting point of view the VAT receipts from the sale of the car have no bearing on the price as the dealer will just hand that over to HMRC. The trigger is the tax point which should be the day you arrange to collect the car, therefore after 1 Dec it should be 15%!
Look forward to a discount on the original quote!

Plife
25-11-2008, 01:39 AM
I emailed my dealer to find out if I get the reduced VAT. Will report back :biglaugh:

Hex69
25-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I bet that won't be reduced when they put the VAT back upto 17.5%!!!

:zx11:

No.

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/fuel-prices-to-rise-as-motorist-hit-with-p-duty-increase-106.html

selborn
01-12-2008, 01:09 AM
I picked my new B8 this week, as was without a car for a few weeks, dealer was really accommodating and met me half way on the VAT!!

JKGA4
01-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi, I've just joined this Forum, having ordered an A4 last week for delivery about the middle of December. Having paid my deposit, I was also concerned about whether I would pay the reduced rate of VAT or not.

I've just spoken to my dealer who has confirmed that I will benefit from the full reduction. They are going to issue me with the new figures.

Good luck to others in a similar situation.

Plife
01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
My wife picks up my car on Saturday and the dealer tried the line that they had already prepared the invoice. They were told to redo it with the new VAT! Should be getting an update price today :biglaugh:

martin@wolfy
01-12-2008, 02:35 PM
My wife picks up my car on Saturday and the dealer tried the line that they had already prepared the invoice. They were told to redo it with the new VAT! Should be getting an update price today :biglaugh:

That was nice of them, i do not understand why they try it. They do not loose anything by giving 15% and their gain maybe a little more profit but they also gain a peeed of customer who may not go back again.

Mine was built and ready for shipment on the 21st November so I am now just sitting waiting for the dealer to say it has arrived. Looking through the forum it takes around 10-14 days. I will let you know what i get in respect of VAT.

Wolfy!!!

benjohn
02-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Am due to pick up my A4 2.0T Avant S-Line in the week before Christmas (ordered in October). Dealer has confirmed that VAT will be at 15%.

The contract you sign when you pay the deposit is an agreement for a future sale and not an invoice. You agree the price exclusive of VAT at this point - when the sale is then actually made (usually upon delivery) VAT is simply applied at the prevailing rate - happily now 15%.