PDA

View Full Version : Tip Lost from Dipstick S--t!

kaab0
23-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Beware all!! Dont know if this is a problem thats been seen before but today went to check the oil level in my A4 Sline 2.0tdi, I first wiped it clean re dipped for a check and as i went to inspect............... No Tip?
The min-max part of the tip was gone and looks like these sticks are made in sections that seem to inclip (i Assume).
Has anyone had this? or will it cause a problem in the future with the missing part somewhere within the sump or in engine? I have to visit my local ******** to now get a replacement. :mad: A8 tech any advice?

Alan02
24-11-2008, 11:12 AM
The part shouldn`t cause a problem as it wont get past the oil pump strainer.the only soloution if your worried is the sump off,or,if it has any metal still attatched to the broken part,you could use a strong magnet and drag it to the sump plug hole?

kaab0
24-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your reply the actual part is plastic like the rest of the stick so may have to leave it . Just ordered a new stick today cant see why this has happened? http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Alan02
24-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi,just like the top of the dipstick tube (plastic too) i think they`re a bit too brittle.I`ve had to renew 2 of these on my old 80 and B5 A4 for cracking,and like you,had a bit drop down tube---its still going strong,nothing to worry about.

xpress52
03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys, I've had the same problem - i went to check the oil and couldn't find the min/max mark on the dip stick. Went to ******** and they highlighted that i had the bottom piece missing, 'must have fallen off in the sump' he said, very common problem. he assured me there would be no problems as it can't reach the block due to a mesh type shield. I've done 5k miles since and had no issues.

kaab0
03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
ok thats good to know, i got my replacement and when i measured up to the old one it seems to be about 3 inches missing!! So count yo self lucky :(

STAGMAN
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Whoever designed the dipstick was a complete one! Black oil on black stick and now the tips fall off. Why oh why:aargh4:

Joe richardson
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
yes this is common problem:(

This happens to A2 dipsticks alot,as the dipsticks are quite long on them.