PDA

View Full Version : removing wiper arms

k9max
23-11-2008, 06:03 PM
This might sound like a daft question, but what's the best way to remove the wiper arms on an A4? My obvious concern is not to cause damage to either the windscreen or the drip tray/cover thing. Is there a gadget I can use for the removal of them?
Any help greatly appreciated! Ta :beerchug:

rollapig
23-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi all you need to do is take off the nut on the spline and if they wont come off give them a bang with the palm of your hand and they should just pop off hope this helps

kite
24-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I went to a windscreen fitter who used a small puller to get the arms off.

k9max
24-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I went to a windscreen fitter who used a small puller to get the arms off.

Think I might do the same!!
Rollapig, I did think about applying a bit of brute force, but as I only had a new motor and linkage a few months ago, I was a bit paranoid about causing damage!
Thanks guys :beerchug:

GeorgeE
24-11-2008, 08:09 PM
If they won't come off by sharp banging with your hand (and in my experience they rarely do - especially on older vehicles) then a puller is the way forward. You can get special ones for the job but I used a very cheap "Laser Brand" 2/3 leg puller kit from Halfords (less than a tenner), mainly because they were the only place open at the time of night I was doing the job, but also because it may be (and indeed has been) useful for other things where my big hydraulic one doesn't fit.

It was a bit fiddly getting it to hold the arms but it did the job and no damage done.

ram33
25-11-2008, 08:10 PM
i got mine off by levering the arm upwards with a tyre lever and at the same time giving the thread a sharp blow with nylon mallet (leave nut on but loose to stop the thread getting damaged)

Joe richardson
27-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Audi main dealers have a special tool to remove wiper arms...because you can break them very easy,with a bit of force....seen it happen loads of times:o

Also you have to be very carefull of the windscreen aswell:D

how come you want to remove the wiper arms.....wiper motor seized :confused: