PDA

View Full Version : A3 TDi cam belt

marcjefferies
23-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi

I am about to buy an Audi A3 2.0l TDi on an 05 plate with 30,000 miles

Wondered if anyone could advise at what mileage the cam belt may need replacing and what cost may be involved

marcjefferies@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Marc

-M-
26-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi

Wondered if anyone could advise at what mileage the cam belt may need replacing and what cost may be involved

marcjefferies@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Marc

VAG recommend every 4 years if the mileage is not reached for that particular engine's belt to be done. Every engine is different and some are listed as 1st check at 60k, checking every 20k after with the 1st replacement at 120k - this is for vehicles that do high mileage before the 4yr interval though.

adamss24
26-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi

marcjefferies@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Marc
I would do a HPI check to make shure the mileage is genuine, put it simple, i do not believe in low mileage tdi ! It takes about 9-12K miles a year to break even...A car that age, should have about 50-90 K average and they dont show wear as a vauxhall will... I have seen 04 cars with over 150k as a company rep.cars...They clock sooo easy ! Chap i know done a Bentley Continental GT the other day for a roghue dealer and he say it took the same time to "do" as a vw sharan, so do the maths !

zollaf
26-11-2008, 11:38 PM
totally agree, not many people spend the extra on a diesel to do low annual mileage. a customer of mine drives a 2002 pug 106 diesel with 60k on the clock. I was a bit suspicious as its a total shed. looked in the service book and theres only one stamp. first service at 3 months old and, 9000 miles.:aargh4:. so it used to be someones company car and lost about 100k before being sold on. there are too many rogues out there, making life difficult for us honest mechanics.
Get an hpi check done, and if the mileage is correct, find someone with vagcom on here to plug it in and check, as hpi isnt 100% foolproof.