PDA

View Full Version : Audi Cabrio Whine

andrewaudi
17-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Hello all,

I recently bought a 93 2.3 Cabrio and am concerned by the whining noise it's making. I'm not sure if its a wheel bearing, since the wheels are solid when the cars stationary, no knocking or play. The speedo on the car is miles out, at 60 it's reading 50, at 30 it's reading 25. Now I know it's normal for a speed to be out, but not that bad, the concern I have is that the whine is from the gearbox and that the speed sensor is being affected.

Anyone got any ideas, is the speed sensor replaceable on it's own without getting a new gearbox?

The other thing that makes me suspect the speed sensor is when you are just coming to a halt (only 2 or 3mph) the abs starts kicking in.

Sorry if this is in the wrong group, but I wasn't sure if I should stick it in the Coupe or 80 group, they are all the same thing anyway! :-D

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Andrew

brd
19-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Ah... I am also interested in this ABS kicking in when nearly stopped... as I have the same problem that just started recently.

blackhove
21-08-2007, 11:59 PM
had the same pba problem on a 2002 golf gti. the abs kicks in near stand still.
got to to a guy iwth vag diagnostics. plugged it in and drove around a bit. found that the abs sensor was reading that one wheel had completely stopped while in fact it had not. changed the sensor on that wheel but problem persisted. finally changed the driveshaft and the problem dissapeared, after 7 months of changing the discs, calipers, pads, wishbone, struts, tires and even thinking of changing the abs controller. long shot but give it a go.

andrewaudi
23-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I haven't had a look at the ABS on the car for a while now, will still need to sort it out, what I did find once though is that the mud deflector behind one of the rear break disks is hanging off, and the toothed wheel is badly corroded (i imagine they all will be on a car this age).

When I next get a chance I'm going to run a wire brush round it (the toothed wheel) and see if it helps. I also bought a new sensor (well, one off a dead coupe) that I'm going to try on that wheel.

With the burst mud deflector it's my prime suspect just now.

I have to get 2 new track rod ends and the dodgy idle fixed first.