PDA

View Full Version : Cat busted after 28,000 miles.

j40aja
20-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I had a recall from my local dealer and asked for them to check a few things while it was in.
I asked them to investigate the tubro as it was making a woo noise when lifting off the accelerator to change gear, a little drop in power and mpg.

Well it turns out the catalytic converter has given up the ghost and luckily the car is still under warranty.

Glad I wasn't paying as the bill to VW U.K is £600.

Has anyone else had to have their cat changed this early?

Lemonslap
21-11-2008, 05:49 PM
You are lucky a wrecked cat can cause turbo and engine failure! This happens on over run when the exhaust gases get sucked back. Any component can fail if there was a manufacturing fault within it and cat's reach upto 800C on diesels (2000C on petrols!!) so you can understand the hard life they lead.

j40aja
21-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Hopefully it's been caught in time so there isn't any further damage caused.
Is there anything I should be looking out for in case there is anything else effected by the cat going?

andy4976
21-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm, going to book mine in tommorrow, I had a new turbo fitted last month, as it began to sound like a police siren when lifting off the gas, that noise has gone but i still get a woo noise so to speak from the rear of the car (cat) when changing gear.

Could my CAT be goosed also..!

Lemonslap
22-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Hopefully it's been caught in time so there isn't any further damage caused.
Is there anything I should be looking out for in case there is anything else effected by the cat going?

if the turbo is still making funny noises after the cat is changed I would guess it will have been damaged, with the engine this is harder to tell but look for lack of performance or funny noises

Stuart W
22-11-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm, going to book mine in tommorrow, I had a new turbo fitted last month, as it began to sound like a police siren when lifting off the gas, that noise has gone but i still get a woo noise so to speak from the rear of the car (cat) when changing gear.

Could my CAT be goosed also..!

Well I think the owl hooting from the rear when changing gear is fairly normal, or I've had a knackered cat from day one.:o

There's also the wee dog that barks from the front end when lifting off the throttle sometimes.

So I doubt if your cat is goosed, it's probably the car's resident owl and dog.:D

aaman
22-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I had a recall from my local dealer and asked for them to check a few things while it was in.
I asked them to investigate the tubro as it was making a woo noise when lifting off the accelerator to change gear, a little drop in power and mpg.

Well it turns out the catalytic converter has given up the ghost and luckily the car is still under warranty.

Glad I wasn't paying as the bill to VW U.K is £600.

Has anyone else had to have their cat changed this early?

i had the noise it sounded like the turbo the dealer said all ok then the dealer phoned me a week later to advise me to get the car back to them asap as vw advised them to replace the cat. once that was done no noise the car had only done 17k and its the 2.0tdi 55 plate.

andy4976
22-11-2008, 06:44 PM
My cars booked in for 27th November.
lets see what VW say this time.

j40aja
24-11-2008, 11:08 AM
The problem at the moment is with the drop in temp is that performance is down as well as economy.
The car is still under warranty until July so I can wait to the warmer weather to see if it's still affected. If it all goes belly up then VW has to foot the bill.
The fact it's been in for the symptoms it has will be recorded and this can be used to back up any arguments.

I'd suggest getting your cars to your local VW asap if you have any queries at all.

andy4976
17-12-2008, 09:48 PM
My cars booked in for 27th November.
lets see what VW say this time.

well its been tough, car booked from 27/11, spent a week with my local dealer, amongst other items they replaced both front suspensions arms, so now silent over bumps with no persistent annoying squeaking, next item the wooing noise from the rear, tech told me when the new turbo was fitted, who ever fitted it ( same garage) did not tighten it very well, hence the noise from the rear, I'll tighten the exhaust and that should resolve the fault, bottom line it didn’t, car went back in again from the 15/12, got it back today, complete with a new cat and downpipe and pipe to cat, silent all the way home, no wooing when I lift off the accelerator.
Tech told me they have had a few Passats with the same issue, VW have modified the down pipe and cat - hence the new items fitted to my car, so don’t be fobbed off with that famous quote “yes it’s a characteristic of the Passat”

And they kept me mobile with a 12v Polo 1.2 E, nippy little thing

I can’t complain about my dealer they do try.

Result....