PDA

View Full Version : Question Mk 5 Golf Front Seat Removal

maceire
20-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,
Just looking to remve the front seats in my 2005 Mk 5 Golf. What size are the star or torx bolts the bolt the seat to the floor. 2 at front and 2 at rear:1zhelp:

BarneyBoy
23-11-2008, 11:16 AM
10mm Triple Square Socket (can be found on ZDMAK.com or elsewhere)

Good luck!:biggthump

Ben
23-11-2008, 06:01 PM
easy enough job to do.

I found the hardest part was finding somewhere to buy the triple square (spline) tools from.

I found it easier to remove the rear bolts 1st, then slide the seat back to access the front bolts.

I needed to remove the seat to fit an under seat drawer. By removing the bolts in the order i describe above, you will be ablt to tip the seat backwards thus avoiding the seat hitting the steering wheel.

Mind the electrics to the seat, there is an airbag built in to it, so if you have to disconnect the electrics, DO NOT turn on the ignition.

BarneyBoy
24-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I found it easier to remove the rear bolts 1st, then slide the seat back to access the front bolts.

I needed to remove the seat to fit an under seat drawer. By removing the bolts in the order i describe above, you will be ablt to tip the seat backwards thus avoiding the seat hitting the steering wheel.

Mind the electrics to the seat, there is an airbag built in to it, so if you have to disconnect the electrics, DO NOT turn on the ignition.

True - I did mine that way too:
Slide seat all the way back, undo front 2 bolts.
Slide seat all the way forward, undo back 2 bolts.
Lean whole seat onto the back seat - avoiding having to unplug the airbag/heater/&c loom - there have been issues reconnecting these I believe.

Makes fitting the drawer reasonably comfy - you sit on the floor/door sill and the seat is up at chest height. Also avoids smashing up your trim removing the whole seat from the car (not so good). May avoid tweaking a back muscle too... :D