PDA

View Full Version : chainbelt broke on 53 reg polo

tim7900
19-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone could help with my brother's car??

Basically he couldnt start the car a few days ago, He had a mechanic come out to run a diagnostic and could find no fault? He told my brother to take it to a garage to do a full investigation.

He took it to his local garage (non Vw) who in turn said that the chainbelt had broken and it now needs a new engine?

This is unbelievable ?? The car is a 53 reg 1.2 polo with 33k and has all but one VW service history in the book...

I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered this same problem? and because the polo has a chainbelt, does this mean that the engine will has suffered as big of a problem as a cambelt snapping?

He is in two minds what to do now? Does he check with someone else to see if the engine can be repaired?, does he buy a new engine? or source a second hand one and hope for the best??

still cant believe the belt went at such a low mileage... i thought chainbelts went on for years and years....

smokey0123
19-11-2008, 08:44 PM
It could be rebuilt. Would need the head taken off to replace the bent valves and a new timing chain. Timing chains do not go wrong very often apart from on vauxhall zafiras.

It would be alot easier to replace the whole engine but then its a gamble if you cant be sure on the history of it.

ChicksFan
19-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Timing chains of 3-cylinder chain cam petrol engines are snapping, possibly because they need cleaner oil than VW anticipated with its service regime, or possibly because the wrong oil has been used. Timing chain tensioner problems on 2002-2003 1.2s, usually caused by not changing the oil and filter often enough. Cured on later engines by a more substantial tensioner. Total engine failures of 1.2s not unknown after as little as 5 years and 38,000 miles. (VAG changed the tensioner from 2003.)

Per Honest John's website.

rydale13
23-11-2008, 10:39 AM
if the cambelt failed, I cant understand how you would be able to drive it between garages! Your car should be impossible to drive with a ruined cambelt.

im not so sure, have you had a look to see the cambelt?

smokey0123
23-11-2008, 04:58 PM
if the cambelt failed, I cant understand how you would be able to drive it between garages! Your car should be impossible to drive with a ruined cambelt.

im not so sure, have you had a look to see the cambelt?

You are right it wnt drive with a broken camchain/belt i think it has been towed to the garage it doesnt say driven anywhere:confused:

These engines dont have a belt they have a chain andit is not quite as easy to check.