PDA

View Full Version : Eyup.

blodnob
19-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Hello all.
I just got my wife an A3 3.2 on a 55plate.( i wanted a Jag', but she can fight me, so...,:()
For some reason i expected it to be a bit faster.
Can anything be done to get a bit more out of it ?
We previousley had a 130 1.9gtdi golf and chiped it to 175 and that made all the differance.
Cheers in advance.
Sean.

bora(ing) nick
19-11-2008, 01:05 PM
:)

Let me get this right.... the 3.2 petrol doesn't feel as fast as you'd expect it to having driven the PD 130 (175 ;) )

Diesel is the future!!!

I cant help you unfortunatly, just found your post very pleasing to the ears...

Welcome to the forum!

Nick (Fellow derv driver)

MalcQV
19-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Welcome :beerchug:

I would wager he means for a 3.2 V6 he would of expected it to go faster than it does and not that his Golf is quicker. Course I am biased all things petrol :p

Hex69
19-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Hello and welcome....:biglaugh:

I think the answer's Torque. A3 3.2 has only 236 lb ft, whereas a chipped 130 TDI would have more than that.
Audi A3 Hatchback (03 on)
3.2 V6 quattro Sport 3d

Engine Size 3189 cc Cylinders 6 0-60 mph 6.3 s Power Output 246 bhp Valves 24 Torque 320 Nm 236 lb-ft Top Speed 155 mph

MalcQV
19-11-2008, 01:32 PM
All this talk of torque!

dod1e
19-11-2008, 01:54 PM
To answer your question there isnt much you can do to increase the power of naturally aspirated petrol engines such as this without spending a fortune. Remaps dont result in much gain for the money when compared to turbocharged cars because there is no way of getting the extra air in there to burn with the extra fuel.

If you want a lot more power you are talking thousands for turbo or supercharger conversion along with an appropriate remap. I'm sure someone who knows more will come along in due course with some more specific advice, or you could search the web.

euroslap
19-11-2008, 01:59 PM
The 3.2 will feel a lot smoother pulling up to the top (not to mention how much more pleasing to the ear), on the road if you're not afraid rev it, in reality it'll be a lot quicker.

Eyup Duck by the way. ;)

blodnob
19-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Welcome :beerchug:

I would wager he means for a 3.2 V6 he would of expected it to go faster than it does

Thats it x'actly Malc...
I thaught an engine thats nearly twice as big should go nearly twice as fast.
Naa.. just kiddin.
But it dont pin you back like i thaught it would.
is it cos it's an auto ?
Her sister's got a manual so i might pinch it for a bit to see if its any better. ( Wich is for sale by the way. Cheap !)
Also the launch controll seems a bit slow to react. When you take your foot off of the brake, it takes a while to go into gear. By which time a manual would've droped the clutch an be away with a decent head start.
Early days tho'
Later , Sean

MalcQV
20-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I believe sub 5 second to 60 cars are the only ones that really feel like they are accelerating.

Many years ago I owned an automatic Manta and it felt slow compared with the equivalent manual. That was a 1978 car though.

My pal has a Subaru Forrester 2.0 Turbo Auto and that does feel quick, though as stated above it does not feel galactic :p