PDA

View Full Version : Where is the fuse for cooling fan and intake flap

neilsgotaskoda
18-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I seem to have the classic cooling fan and intake flap fault codes on my Diesel which is relatively common on VAG cars.

My problem is I need to find where the fuse is which supplies both of these devices before I can understand what caused it to fail.

The book idetifies the fuse (54) but when I look there is no fuse in that position. No fuses are blown in either fuse box.

So either it is fed from a fuse that I havent found yet or from one of the good fuses and there is a wiring fault some where.

I got a manual from a company called electronic manuals but there is no wiring diagram as advertised. So I wasted my money on what seems to be an illegal copy anyway.

Can anyone help ?

Col
18-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Went through his on my Passat in the summer.

If the Octavia really is the same....

You need to remove the panel above the pedals, where above the accelerator pedal you will find the relay plate. Attached to it are more fuses.

You are looking at two fuses that control the fan, one a 5amp normal blade that controls the switching side and either a 30 or 40amp large blade that takes power to the fan.

With regard to the intake flap, I assume you mean the air re-circ flap motor for the heater? If so, take your pollen filter out, ensure the flap is open and NEVER touch the re-circ button again. It is a dash and heater out job to replace.

neilsgotaskoda
19-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

It is intake flap associated with the EGR valve rather than the heater flap.

The location of the cooling fan feed fuse in exactly what I needed to know and I will have a look where you say this weekend as I am away now untill Friday. I am sure that it will be the same as on your car.

I have two EGR intake flap faults and a cooling fan fault. I see a lot of similar posts and garages quoting undreds of pouns to replace fans and flap valves. I have checked and I have no power to either. I know they are fed from the same 40Amp fuse so I can start from there to establish why it failed.

The problem I had is the fuse is not where it says it should be in the book.

Thanks.

Neil.

Col
19-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I was wrong !

The Octavia is based on the Golf platform so the advice above is not valid.

The fan fuse is likely to be on the battery fuses.

The egr flap is vacuum controlled but switched via an N75 valve, this is where you are likely to be getting trouble.

neilsgotaskoda
23-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I checked above the pedals anyway and no fuses.

In the main fuse box the fuse it says it is in the manual is not present.

I have checked every fuse I can find and none are blown.

Anywhere elsi I should check ?

Neil.

SONICtheONE
24-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Fuses for the engine cooling fan are located on top of the battery, I believe the N/S one is for engine cooling at the O/S one is for the air-con, but both come on with the air-con, The N/S engine cooling fan should work at two speeds, The fan and fan switch switch should be checked as the Octy can have problems with these.

Alan.

neilsgotaskoda
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Checked out that position for the fuse and sadly nothing in that location.

I looked at the online manual but was unable to find the power feed/fuse.

It seems like a common problem so I am sure that the answer is out there somewhere.

Neil.

Crasher
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Just behind this relay on 2005 to 2006 BKD engined cars.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/witharrow.jpg

neilsgotaskoda
18-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Crasher. Spot on.

When I re-checked the fuse with a good tortch I could see that it was blown (not obvious when I checked it the first time in poor light).

Replaced the fuse and it blew again, disconnected the EGR valve and the fuse was good. Time to find the best price for an EGR valve me thinks.

Thanks for the help.

Neilsgotaskoda :Blush: :Blush: :Blush:

Crasher
18-12-2008, 02:13 PM
It isn’t the EGR valve, it is the inlet manifold flap motor, sometimes called an anti shudder device, it reduces engine shudder on shut down. Last time I checked, Pierburg had no stock so I could only get one genuine. What is the engine code?. 038 128063 G £322 from VAG, or Pierburg 7.14393.26.0.

neilsgotaskoda
18-12-2008, 08:56 PM
I know that I am calling it by the wrong name, it just comes up on the VagCom as EGR flap valve (or something like that) but thanks for pointing it out.

I found the part number (038 128 063G) today and have ordered one at £175 inc VAT and delivery. Ouch.

Thanks again for your help.

neilsgotaskoda.