PDA

View Full Version : lowering what do i need?

Kev2904
16-02-2007, 12:10 PM
:1zhelp:
Hi all i have a golf mk3 gti 2.0 8v and managed to swap and old xbox! for a set of lowering springs of a 2.0 td.

I have 15" alloys at the mo and the springs are 60/40 im just wondering what do i need to take into account before i try to get them lowered? i mean is there extra bits i need to buy or is it just a case of getting someone to swap out my old ones?

Thanks Folks!

Sam
16-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Er, you may need new springs. The springs you have have been set up to carry the weight of a TD, not an NA Golf. You may not get the drop you hope for and worse case you'll get a bouncy ride.

If the shocks are still the stock shocks you may want to replace those at the same time too. I admit it may be more expensive but unless you're doing the work yourself you'll have to pay twice for labour when you need to change the shocks in XX thousand miles.

You are of course, free to ignore this and just go for it, I know I would have done!

Kev2904
16-02-2007, 12:35 PM
LOL hmm i was disapointed right up untill you said "i know i would have done" now i just need to make a decision!

Do you think in your opinion that an 11 year old car would have had to have had its shocks changed at some point? and is there a big price/performance difference between stock and off the shelf stocks?

would those springs be useless completly to me?

My g/f had a vr6 corrado and she thinks the shocks have been changed out (sad, she knows more than me but yes, she worked for hertz for years and always picked the mechy's brains)

How much do you think i should pay as someone who purely wants the car to look nicer, for kit and fitting?

sorry if i rambled there i probably have about 3 posts worth of questions there!!:Blush2:

Kev2904
16-02-2007, 02:01 PM
You say purely to look good ?? surely you also want to retain ride quality also??

Well i guess i could build a lovly car thats a horror to drive so no not just the look i just assumed if it fits and was made for said car it would be ok lack of experience on my part.

After seeing that price i dont think its high on the list at the moment i thought what i wanted was a relativly cheap thing to do.

Oh well....

But thanks for all the response and for such a detailed answer Andy:approve:

Kev

devonutopia
16-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Get a decent set of spring clamps too - nothing worse than having a potentially explosive situation when it comes to swapping springs. BOOOOING!!!