PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 TDi Coolant loss

riemans
17-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I have an Audi A3 2.0 Tdi (8P1, BKD Engine) that is suffering mystery coolant loss. Having searched the forum it seems that, particularly with the BKD engine, this is a common problem....

Coolant only seems to be lost at relatively high operating speeds / conditions, but will almost empty the header tank in 100 - 150 motorway miles.

There is no evidence of external loss whatsoever, I've gone as far as checking with a UV glow-tester for leaks and the coolant system retains pressure overnight. Coolant sniff-test shows no sign of exhasut gas in the coolant.

So....judging by earlier threads, it looks like either the EGR cooler leaking internally (i.e. coolant leaking within the EGR cooler and subsequently making it's way into the inlet manifold if that's possible) or a head gasket leak / crack. By the tests performed so far I'd like to think it's the EGR cooler....

Does anyone have any experience of this problem? Is there any way of testing the EGR cooler? What I'm trying to avoid is taking the head off unnecessarily....

Any help much appreciated

Dana3
19-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Im Going thur the same thing coolant leaking. Pressure tested Pressure has droped tho, no leaks to be found. Had sniff test that was ok.
I thinking its the head, heard alot of forums saying about cracks in the heads.
Im also having problems starting when hot.
Im wondering if i just trade in it, hoping price cars are going to drop.

Let us know how get on

Joe richardson
19-11-2008, 11:09 PM
sounds like head gasket has gone,as you say this is a common problem with the bkd engine....we have done a few in the garage.
Another thing you have said is the E.G.R cooler,sometimes these do leak so it would be worth checking that aswell.
what i would do is get your local audi dealer to have a look at it for you:D

Joe