PDA

View Full Version : 90bhp Bora No Power

loz683
16-02-2007, 08:50 AM
:mad: I have a 1999 90bhp bora that will only do about 93mph and really struggles to get there,i dont usually travel at that speed but i have suspected for a while that something was'nt quite right,it lacks power in every gear, once the revs reach abuot 2500 it just seems to die as if there is nothing there,i need to get this sorted as i pull a conway camper and i am having a tow bar fitted to the bora in a few weeks ready for the summer.Can anybody help with this,is it a common problem?The car has only done 84000 and has a fsh and is due for service next month.

Cam
16-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Sounds similar to my issue. Bora 2.0L 2000 115 Bhp.

My issue seems to go away once running at temp. Although I have no issue accelerating from 70mph up.

The guys responding to my post, suggest MAF, coils, possibly even injectors need cleaned?

Apparently the 1.8T and 2.0L engines are notorious for coils going. There are a few posts on hear relating to MAF also.

Is your engine managment warning light on?

Also, if you can get somebody to hook it up to a VAG com diagnostic, you'll get any fault codes which would help pinpoint problems.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

loz683
16-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info cam,my car is a 1.9 tdi when i got the car a guy at work did a diagnostic check and it showed no faults.

No the engine managment light is not on so it's a bit of a mystery,like i said earlier it's due for a service so i will see what it's like after that,

The guy that did the diagnostic check suggested i get it re-mapped but i'm not sure he reckons i could get 120bhp but i'm a bit wary and £300 is'nt cheap.

Eshrules
16-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info cam,my car is a 1.9 tdi when i got the car a guy at work did a diagnostic check and it showed no faults.

No the engine managment light is not on so it's a bit of a mystery,like i said earlier it's due for a service so i will see what it's like after that,

The guy that did the diagnostic check suggested i get it re-mapped but i'm not sure he reckons i could get 120bhp but i'm a bit wary and £300 is'nt cheap.

no no no lol dont be getting it remapped if theres a fault with it. im not sure of the top speed of the 90bhp, but the fault you described sounds exactly like a MAF fault, try using the search for the MAF issue.... its very common on the 1.9tdi, basically, the MAF gets covered in all the crap the air contains after passing through the filter... this then 'covers' the MAF which then gives false readings which lead to issues such as you have described....

ill have a look for some threads re this, its very common and 9 times out of ten youll get away with cleaning your MAF, saving the big replacement bill.:beerchug:

loz683
16-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I cant begin to tell you how glad i am i joined this forum,

The top speed for this model according to parkers is 112mph,i'm not really bothered about the speed i just thought there was something seriously wrong with the car.

So you reckon give the MAF a good clean i'm no mechanical genius but i know my way around an engine bay and i can use a spanner,so where does the MAF live? can i sort it myself? Thanks for the info much appreciated

Eshrules
16-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I cant begin to tell you how glad i am i joined this forum,

The top speed for this model according to parkers is 112mph,i'm not really bothered about the speed i just thought there was something seriously wrong with the car.

So you reckon give the MAF a good clean i'm no mechanical genius but i know my way around an engine bay and i can use a spanner,so where does the MAF live? can i sort it myself? Thanks for the info much appreciated

LOL your more than welcome, theres no way you should only be able to do 90mph, even for a 90bhp that is slow mate.

as for the MAF, sure is easy to find.... as you look at your air filter box, youll see it in 2 halfs in effect, look at the top bit, as the pipe comes out of the box, youll see a sensor attached, the air passes over this before it travels anywhere else, its simply screwed in with 2 torx screws, undo them and unplug the sensor, there you have your MAF.

all you need is an electrical solvent that doesnt leave a residue, such as carb cleaner although some people would argue this is too harsh, id have to say use at your own risk although ive not had any problems.

there was a member who posted something up which i worked off, il try and find it for you.

Eshrules
16-02-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3983&page=2

the thread as promised :beerchug:

loz683
16-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Eshrules can't thank you enough i will be having a tinker this weekend and hopefully get it sorted,i work for an aircraft engineering company so i am sure we will have some suitable chemicals lying around that will do the job,it will be interesting to see what a difference it wiil make,i got blew away at the lights the other day by a ford ka (most embarassing)that's when i knew there was something reall wrong,thanks for the threads makes good reading.

Eshrules
16-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Eshrules can't thank you enough i will be having a tinker this weekend and hopefully get it sorted,i work for an aircraft engineering company so i am sure we will have some suitable chemicals lying around that will do the job,it will be interesting to see what a difference it wiil make,i got blew away at the lights the other day by a ford ka (most embarassing)that's when i knew there was something reall wrong,thanks for the threads makes good reading.

LOl i wouldnt be too ashamed, ive driven a 1.25 fiesta and it was nippy, low range, low speeds, they're quick off the line, when your turbo kicks in is when you have fune :biglaugh:

no problems, here to help, keep us updated though! nice to know what happens!

Cam
16-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Loz,

Updated my thread. It is the MAF sensor causing my problem.

Only one bit to add on cleaning it. It's the tamper proof Torx screws.

They have a small dot in the middle that prevents a normal torx fitting in.

As Eshrules says, they are notorious for suiting up. My colleague has an S3 and has cleaned his MAF several times. Much cheaper than buying a new one.

You could try what I did and what Eshrules suggested, pull the MAF sensor loom connector off and see if it improves. It reverts to a default map, mine is running a little rough under 1500rpm on the default map.

Hope you get it corrected.

Cheers

loz683
16-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks everybody for your replys i'll keep you all posted watch this space

redmax90
16-02-2007, 04:20 PM
its the maf sensor mate ..on a good bit of road ..i dont doubt that a 90 wouldnt pull herself over 120 ... no doubt ! lol .. not that i would try :D ....she mite surprise u lol ..mine will cruise along at 90 at 3000 rpm

loz683
16-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I look forward to the day,might be difficult with a conway camper nailed to the back but i'll give it a try thanks for the info,watch this space

Eshrules
16-02-2007, 07:58 PM
just found this.... may be of some use also

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3142

dobski
17-02-2007, 09:44 PM
hi,

i have been experiancing a similar problem with my 110 golf i think mines got a weak wastgate actuator but not sure so thought i would get help before i replace it.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
17-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Loz,

Read my this thread, sounds exactly the same problem as I had!!! In the end cleaning the Maf only mad a small difference so I replaced it with a pierburg Maf (More reliable than Bosch). These are available for £59.60 inc vat & postage from euro car parts. The part number I fitted was a pierburg 7.22684.07.0, euro car parts ref 434220200.

I can assure you you will impresed when you replace it, it now goes like S*it of a shovle!!!!

Good Luck

Eshrules
18-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Loz,

Read my this thread, sounds exactly the same problem as I had!!! In the end cleaning the Maf only mad a small difference so I replaced it with a pierburg Maf (More reliable than Bosch). These are available for £59.60 inc vat & postage from euro car parts. The part number I fitted was a pierburg 7.22684.07.0, euro car parts ref 434220200.

I can assure you you will impresed when you replace it, it now goes like S*it of a shovle!!!!

Good Luck

ive done some research on these pierburg MAFS and they seem to be making a good impact at the moment. any chance you could post a link to your thread for the OP to consult ?

taa :beerchug:

FuNkYcHiCkEn
18-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry, meant to post this in the previous thread.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3580:biglaugh:

HTH

loz683
19-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone as promised,latest update on my sluggish bora 1.9tdi,i removed the MAF and cleaned it as suggested,i think i did it right,removed two torque screws slid unit out sprayed with quick drying cleaning solution(no residue)allowed to dry replaced unit,(is that right it just looked like a big lump of plastric or am i missing a trick here)anyway result,pickup a lot quicker between the gears,top end sorry absolute crap 60mph to 90mph 48 seconds
something really wrong here,managed to get 100mph but only down hill,a large one at that as well,something not quite right here is there guys.

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone as promised,latest update on my sluggish bora 1.9tdi,i removed the MAF and cleaned it as suggested,i think i did it right,removed two torque screws slid unit out sprayed with quick drying cleaning solution(no residue)allowed to dry replaced unit,(is that right it just looked like a big lump of plastric or am i missing a trick here)anyway result,pickup a lot quicker between the gears,top end sorry absolute crap 60mph to 90mph 48 seconds
something really wrong here,managed to get 100mph but only down hill,a large one at that as well,something not quite right here is there guys.

hmm well it sounds like you did the MAF clean correctly and if the cars picking up quicker, thats half solved the problem, not sure about the sluggishness though, certainly shouldnt take that long to get to 100 even a 90bhp. im not sure TBH what the pull is like for that engine.... might be worth a quick read with a fault code reader?

loz683
19-02-2007, 11:07 AM
i'll get the guy at work to do a diagnostic check again see if we can find anything,watch this space,cheers for now,

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 12:32 PM
i'll get the guy at work to do a diagnostic check again see if we can find anything,watch this space,cheers for now,

if you struggle get your car round mine ill stick it on vagcom for you :beerchug:

loz683
19-02-2007, 12:38 PM
cheers eshules are you local to me?

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 12:55 PM
cheers eshules are you local to me?

well your in oldham, so depending on whereabouts, yeah,im only in copley mate :beerchug:

loz683
19-02-2007, 02:05 PM
ok mate your only on the other side of the moors i'll see how it goes,you don't mind helping a lancashire lad then those vw badges carry some weight don't they.

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 02:52 PM
ok mate your only on the other side of the moors i'll see how it goes,you don't mind helping a lancashire lad then those vw badges carry some weight don't they.

curs not, 'tis all karma my dear fellow, what goes around comes around, im currently giving, im saving up my karma for my wedding in a few years LOL

coming from longsight, i have no reason to call anybodys background LOL

let us know how you get on anyways, im not too clever on the vagcom, but you got the usage of it and a fault reader if you need it.... :beerchug:

FuNkYcHiCkEn
19-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Guys,

Vag-COM did not display a fault on my MAF, cleaning only helped a sniff.

After that did not suspect the maf, tried other bits but to no avail. After getting nowhere I replaced it with a pierburg unit, car goes like a rocket, nearly as quick as my BMW 320D!!!:biglaugh:

For the sake of 60.00 it is definetly worth it....

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Guys,

Vag-COM did not display a fault on my MAF, cleaning only helped a sniff.

After that did not suspect the maf, tried other bits but to no avail. After getting nowhere I replaced it with a pierburg unit, car goes like a rocket, nearly as quick as my BMW 320D!!!:biglaugh:

For the sake of 60.00 it is definetly worth it....

lol i doubt its as quick as a bmw 320d, thats pushing it a bit too much :P i saw your other thread about the new MAF,i was just suggesting it might be worth the OP's time to get a code reader on, just in case it isnt the MAF before he goes out and pays for one you see, i can get the codes read for nowt, it could be something else, doubtful, but just in case...:beerchug:

FuNkYcHiCkEn
19-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Well the BM has got a MAF fault too!!!:aargh4: So it is slow, but I only ordered one MAF and the Golf seemed more in need at the time, plus the wife wouldn't let me take it out again once she drove it!!! Should be here from ECP tommorow though.....

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Well the BM has got a MAF fault too!!!:aargh4: So it is slow, but I only ordered one MAF and the Golf seemed more in need at the time, plus the wife wouldn't let me take it out again once she drove it!!! Should be here from ECP tommorow though.....

any chance you could post details of where you got the other unit from? my mate with the leon is after a MAF for his, im presuming these are proving more reliable than the standard bosch?

loz683
19-02-2007, 04:09 PM
You Guys Fight Amongst Yourselves And I'll Let You Know How I Get On In Due Course, I Must Admit Though I Am Tempted By One Of These Units!!

FuNkYcHiCkEn
19-02-2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Search_Results.asp

With VAT & Delivery it is £59.60

The ECP part no is 434220200

The Pierburg part no is 7.22684.07.0

This is standard on a Merc diesel, but fits TDi and BMW 320/330

Much more reliable than bosch, and can give a slight power increase over standard.

A lot of people also fit the 7.22684.08.0 to the TDi, this works fine but the turbo cuts in slightly later...

Hope this helps...

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Search_Results.asp

With VAT & Delivery it is £59.60

The ECP part no is 434220200

The Pierburg part no is 7.22684.07.0

This is standard on a Merc diesel, but fits TDi and BMW 320/330

Much more reliable than bosch, and can give a slight power increase over standard.

A lot of people also fit the 7.22684.08.0 to the TDi, this works fine but the turbo cuts in slightly later...

Hope this helps...

well i was thinking that myself, wondering if fitting the bosch would help it run any better, eg improved MPG or not . i should imagine the 7.08 version is a higher resistance sensor... hence it making the turbo kick in later,not sure if that would be good though?

Eshrules
19-02-2007, 04:49 PM
You Guys Fight Amongst Yourselves And I'll Let You Know How I Get On In Due Course, I Must Admit Though I Am Tempted By One Of These Units!!

fight? was a mere discussion :confused: oh btw CAPS lock is a handy button ;) lets people know your not shouting at them :beerchug:

loz683
20-02-2007, 08:19 AM
I would'nt shout at you guys you have been far to helpful for that.

dobski
25-02-2007, 05:12 PM
my 1.9 tdi golf has as a similar fault its absolutly gutless after 2500 revs i can hear turbo whistle but it just doesnt seem to want to accelerate once youre out of 2nd gear 3rd and 4th gear up hill is a joke and 5th is ok down hill its really lacking power.
how can you test for a problem with the maf sensor if i unplug the maf its very slighty better than with the maf pluged in.
has anyone any ideas please.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
25-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Dobski,

I tried disconnecting the maf and it made little difference, some people say that this should make the car run in a standard mode and give back power, but not for me.

I was just lucky to have a pierburg maf sitting about that I had ordered for my BMW 320d, so I tried it and hey presto, car went like a rocket.

My mate also ran his vag-com setup on it and it did not detect a fault..

I know its a bit risky, but I am 95 % sure that your maf is shot. Thing is do you want to spend 60 and worry about the 5%.

You could try cleaning the maf first...

HTH

Ben

dobski
25-02-2007, 07:11 PM
funkychicken,

i am just about to order one but i live in spain do you know anywhe
re that will deliver one to me i have seen some on ebay that do but not sure about the quality of them also do i need a part number or will car details and engine code be enough to order one.

thanks

jonathan

FuNkYcHiCkEn
25-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Johnathan

The Pierburg maf that you need is a 7.22684.07.0

The majority of parts stockists will only list this for a mercedes. Officially the VAG group only use the Bosch Maf, but we all know that the Pierburg is better and cheaper.

Found one on ebay (German, but will deliver to Europe)...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Luftmassenmesser-TDI-Pierburg-NEU-Mercedes_W0QQitemZ300083487651QQihZ020QQcategoryZ9 895QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Picture shows a genuine Pierburg and the listing says so, seller also has 100% feedback, so sounds a good one.

Also remember that if you have not already got a set, you will need a tamperproof torx bit to remove the maf screws...

Like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-9-Piece-Torx-Screwdriver-Tamper-Proof-T10-T40_W0QQitemZ150093319282QQihZ005QQcategoryZ68034Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps :)

dobski
25-02-2007, 08:21 PM
thanks for your help.

i have been reading some similar threads and they suggest turbo problems as my car doesnt boost after 3000rpm what do you think.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
25-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Not to sure about that, thats what people told me was wrong with mine when I first came on here with a problem. It seemed to have no boost all the way through the range, like driving an SDi. I too thought it was the turbo. I did put a tuning box on it, this made it boost upto about 3K and then the boost would randomly cut in and out making it very jerky to drive. When the boost was on you could here a whistle from the turbo.

Like I said, I only put the Maf on because I had one for another car, didn't think it was the Maf, but it obviously was!!!!!

Turbo whistles all the way now :)

onzarob
25-02-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks for your help.

i have been reading some similar threads and they suggest turbo problems as my car doesnt boost after 3000rpm what do you think.

That 'sexactly how mine reacted with a faulty MAF, works a dream with a new one:D

dobski
25-02-2007, 08:48 PM
hi,

just ordered th pierburg one of ebay and the torques bits.

thanks again

jonathan

FuNkYcHiCkEn
25-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice one Johnathan, please keep us all posted..

I hope it solves the problem, otherwise you will never listen to us again.. LOL

loz683
26-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi guys update as promiesd,i unplugged MAF and there seemed to be a slight improvement at the bottom end but top end still pants,spoke to a guy at work who has a 115bhp and really knows his stuff and has had a similar problem,he has used a pierburg unit and said it was fine but reckons the new vw units are just as good and cheaper.

Eshrules
26-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi guys update as promiesd,i unplugged MAF and there seemed to be a slight improvement at the bottom end but top end still pants,spoke to a guy at work who has a 115bhp and really knows his stuff and has had a similar problem,he has used a pierburg unit and said it was fine but reckons the new vw units are just as good and cheaper.

ive heard info to the contrary, i thought the pierburg unit was actually cheaper and has been said by some to be better than the bosch (vw origional) i suppose its down to personal pref and budget.... :beerchug:

loz683
26-02-2007, 12:01 PM
hey up mate.i will have to do a bit of digging but i suspect you might be right,can't see the vw unit being cheaper.I did,nt realise the pierburg units were for mercs,obviously they work a treat one thing though do you have to remove the noses on the sides so they fit?

onzarob
26-02-2007, 12:08 PM

when you unplug the maf the engine will get smoother but the top end will still be short on power. So from what you say I would suspect the MAF.

Mine behave the same as your with the MAF unplugged. The new maf made all the difference.

Rob:D

Eshrules
26-02-2007, 01:15 PM
hey up mate.i will have to do a bit of digging but i suspect you might be right,can't see the vw unit being cheaper.I did,nt realise the pierburg units were for mercs,obviously they work a treat one thing though do you have to remove the noses on the sides so they fit?

from what i understood - although dont quote me - was the fitment for the mercs is the same as the vw, i dont think any modification is needed at all for the vw fitment ?

loz683
26-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info eshrules,just rang german and swedish for a quote robbing gits want £69.50+vat for the pierburg unit.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
26-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Loz,

No modification is required to fit the Pierburg Maf in a TDi 90 Bhp.

Have your tried Euro Car Parts??

Got mine for 59.60 inc vat & next day delivery.

The ECP part no is 434220200, dont tell them it is for a vag, as they won't sell it to you!!

loz683
26-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info again, thought i would just give them a ring see what was on offer.What car do you suggest i tell them?,they are bound to ask.

Why won't they sell it for a vw? seems a bit odd,why should they care where it ends up.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
26-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Because if it is not listed for your car in their book, it won't fit.... But we know it will..

Tell them you have got a 2001 C220 CDi Saloon, that should bring up the right part no, but get them to give you the part no just to check.

If you order it online, you don't have all this hassle, just do a search for 434330200...

loz683
26-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks very much for all your info lets hope it works but from what you have said it can't really be anything else,watch this space,

cheers again.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
13-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Loz,

How have you got on with your bora???

Have not heard anything for a while, just wondering if you have cured the fault...:)

loz683
14-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Hi mate long time no speak, anyway cleaned up the maf again but gave it a good soak in isopropanol i got from work and the improvement was great then had the car serviced on monday and i must say the car drives lovely really smooth and is returning 56-58 mpg,gave it a bit of a blast and managed the magic 100mph,it seems quicker between the gears but i still think there is room for improvement so i am gonna bite the bullet and get a new MAF,more out of curiosity really,pitty i cant borrow one just to see what the difference is like,i am happy with the MPG and the smoothness i just feel there is something lacking.

amz
14-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey folks. Have got a similar problem to those mentioned on this message board. I've got a VW Golf GT TDi 115bhp (X-plate). Bought it last year from the Main Dealer, and they gave it fully serviced, MOT'd, cambelt changed (basically the full works)!

Over the past few months, I have noticed the performance has been deteriorating - it struggles to get to 95mph. The mpg is still about 50-53mpg on the motorway, and about 40-45mpg in the town. I travelled to Aldershot last week and on the M40, I struggled to climb the hill... had to drop it from 6th gear, to 5th just to maintain power/speed. Even on a straight it barely gets to 90mph. If I'm lucky going downhill on the M1, I can get to 110mph but then it starts dropping when the road levels out.

I've had the car serviced last month by the main dealer, and hoped for increased performance but no luck. I got a mate to check it out and he saw the air filter completely dirty. Got it replaced yesterday for another clean OEM one for £3, but hasn't made much difference. My mate also said its likely to be the MAF, and he disconnected it and it seems to have a slightly better performance, but I didn't feel the turbo kicking in.

I've been browsing this forum and there's loadsa useful information, but I guess its trial and error. I notice that the Pierburg MAF's are good, but they seem like a different fitment according to the pics. I've got a Bosch one and the code is 0280 317 121, but think I mis-read it (as no-one has this... might be 0280 217 121). I ain't mechanically minded, so haven't got a clue about things under the bonnet. I don't want to take it to the main dealer as they'll rip me off, and I don't wanna buy a Pierburg only to find out that it won't fit. Even if I buy a Bosch MAF, don't want to buy the wrong one... not to mention that I haven't got a clue how to fit it!

Anyone got any advice on what the problem could be, and whats the best course of action? I'm in Birmingham if anyone is local and wants a free test drive (T&C's apply)! Lol! Thanks in advance!

loz683
14-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Amz i started this thread and i take it you've read all the replies,there are well clued up guys out there who seem to know what they are talking about so go for it and treat yourself to a pierburg unit from the info i got back i dont think you have anything to lose,Euro Car Parts is your first port of call £59.60 inc vat, P/N 434220200,if you read Bens thread you've got all the info you need.

onzarob
14-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I would personally go for the bosch unit as it the correct one and not that expensive these days, I was quoted £53+vat for a genuine new unit from the dealer.

If you fit a the pieburg unit its not completely the same as you are altering the parameters that the ecu has been designed to read. it may increase performance but inturn will reduce fuel economy, this is how the cheap tunning boxes work by altering the signal from the MAF.

amz
14-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey Loz, thanks for the speedy response. I've actually browsed this forum extensively and concluded that the MAFs a common problem with TDi's. But then there's the other side that the MAF hasn't worked in some instances.

There definately are genius's on here, who are probably better than the actual VW mechanics. The inspection report I got when I had the car serviced at VW Willenhall stated, "Poor Performance noticed on test drive. Customer to monitor". I asked them what they meant, and the guy just said that it's likely that the mechanic drove a 140bhp GT TDi and then getting into my 115bhp, he felt poor performance. I also told them that I have noticed problems in performance (getting to 90mph), and he said that they can take a look (obviously at a cost). I was like, 'why didn't you lot just diagnose it when you had the car opened up, and the computers attached?', to which he had no comment! Typical!

To be honest, I definately am considering replacing the MAF. People have stated cleaning it, but some on here have said it makes little/no difference. I don't want to get an incorrect MAF though, hence want to stick with the direct Bosch replacement, but I notice that they aren't as reliable as Pierburg.

It's only £60 for the Pierburg and definately worth investing in, but as a jobless graduate (yep, jobless), I need to be certain that the unit I get is compatible, otherwise it'll go to waste.

My Golf's definately having the same problem as your Bora. Have you bought your MAF, and which one did you get? Have you noticed a performance difference?

If anyone's local to me in Birmingham and can help out changing it, etc... I don't mind paying them.

amz
14-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey, this forums addictive! :-) Thanks for the reply onzarob. Good info given. Like I said, not mechanically minded, but have read up the theory behind MAFs (obviously, its different in practice)!

So you advise the Bosch over the Pierburg? Hmmmm! £53+vat is fantastic for a direct replacement. Who is this from? Might give them a call, and ask for delivery to Birmingham.

I have noticed that different VW dealerships give different prices for things like servicing, MOT, parts, etc. Thought they they should have a standard rate but its always different.

onzarob
14-03-2007, 02:44 PM
This was the VW dealer in Cornwall...'Carrs'. The parts guy said that the price has dropped allot, i bought a genuiene cam belt kit for £60+vat also. Cheaper than a non genuien part.

Give you local dealer a ring i'm sure you will be suprised.

One changing the unit, it as easy as changing an Air filter. Undo 2 screws, 1 plug and a jubilee clip to remove. Took me 10mins.

loz683
14-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi again Amz no i've not changed the MAF yet like i said earlier i gone down the cleaning and service route and although it seems a lot better i am resigned to the fact that i am gonna have to change the MAF,i've just got to decide which one to get.

amz
14-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Lol @ loz, cleaning and service route! I'd probably end up spending about a fiver on the kit to clean the MAF, and then knowing my luck not have any difference in performance. I'll definately get a new MAF, but the question is... which one?

Thanks for the tip Onzarob. You make it sound ever so easy changing it mate! Changing the air filter took me 30mins... I opened up the wrong bolt to start off with, and then realised it was only the 2 screws that needed unscrewing. If it's the direct replacement, I might get away with spending an entire day replacing the MAF. If its the Pierburg (fitment looks different), I'd probably never end up replacing it.

Eshrules
14-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Lol @ loz, cleaning and service route! I'd probably end up spending about a fiver on the kit to clean the MAF, and then knowing my luck not have any difference in performance. I'll definately get a new MAF, but the question is... which one?

Thanks for the tip Onzarob. You make it sound ever so easy changing it mate! Changing the air filter took me 30mins... I opened up the wrong bolt to start off with, and then realised it was only the 2 screws that needed unscrewing. If it's the direct replacement, I might get away with spending an entire day replacing the MAF. If its the Pierburg (fitment looks different), I'd probably never end up replacing it.

trust me LOL, replacing the MAF is easy as pie, there are 2 torx screws i think their called, take them out, unplug the maf, unplug the wiring plug from the MAF, plug the new one in, plug the wiring plug back in, screw back in... job done, at most, half an hour to do . :biglaugh:

as for cleaning, whereabouts are you matey, ive got some carb cleaner and dont mind helping you out for a beer ;)

loz683
14-03-2007, 03:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150093319282&rd=1&rd=1

Your gonna need one of these to get the screws out or a good set of mole grips.

cheers loz.

amz
14-03-2007, 03:57 PM
eshrules, I'm in Birmingham mate. How about you? I don't mind cleaning it but am assuming that its a temporary fix, and reading previous posts on this forum, some people have said its made things worser (obviously they haven't cleaned it properly or something). I'm definately considering on replacing the MAF, but question is which one - Bosch or Pierburg?

I've seen the following Pierburgs on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160092532145&rd=1&rd=1[/URL]

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140095903251&rd=1&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320090302706&rd=1&rd=1)

The last digit is different... and the image looks different to the standard Bosch, so I am assuming it's going to be complicated to fit.

The Bosch one found is;

[URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280092260942&rd=1&rd=1

It's from Hong Kong, and the guys got a good feedback rating, and its a direct replacement.

loz, thanks for the link. I'll try see if my mates got the tools in his toolbox, to save money. I'd only end up using the tools one-off (that's if the MAF works for a long time)! I've been to a private local garage, and he quoted me £15 for changing the MAF. He did tell me it's easy, but think he knows that I'm still saving out on costs as I'm getting parts from eBay & Euro Car Parts, and getting him to do the manual work - hence he's charging me slightly more :-(

Eshrules
14-03-2007, 04:14 PM
eshrules, I'm in Birmingham mate. How about you? I don't mind cleaning it but am assuming that its a temporary fix, and reading previous posts on this forum, some people have said its made things worser (obviously they haven't cleaned it properly or something). I'm definately considering on replacing the MAF, but question is which one - Bosch or Pierburg?

I've seen the following Pierburgs on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160092532145&rd=1&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140095903251&rd=1&rd=1

The last digit is different... and the image looks different to the standard Bosch, so I am assuming it's going to be complicated to fit.

ok, tbh althought ive heard good things about pierburg, if it were me, id stick to the bosch MAF

The Bosch one found is;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280092260942&rd=1&rd=1

It's from Hong Kong, and the guys got a good feedback rating, and its a direct replacement.

ok, STOP! :aargh4: that one is for a 1.8t, not the 1.9tdi! but not a bad price, just make sure you clarify the part you get is for the right engine code for your car, just saves any **** ups :D

loz, thanks for the link. I'll try see if my mates got the tools in his toolbox, to save money. I'd only end up using the tools one-off (that's if the MAF works for a long time)! I've been to a private local garage, and he quoted me £15 for changing the MAF. He did tell me it's easy, but think he knows that I'm still saving out on costs as I'm getting parts from eBay & Euro Car Parts, and getting him to do the manual work - hence he's charging me slightly more :-(

LOL always the way, trust me its easy, you can do it yourself matey, people on here will help you, if pics and a quick walkthrough will help, ill do this for you when the part comes....

im in stalybridge/manchester wat :p

loz683
14-03-2007, 04:16 PM
No problem hope you get it sorted.

cheers loz.

amz
14-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the eshrules. Am going to get in touch with local VW dealerships to ask for the specific part, and am likely to stay with the original Bosch, rather than Pierburg. (TBH, I wanted the Pierburg as its claimed to be more reliable, on BMW, Mercs, so wanted to join in with the supreme's, but was dreading the "incompatible" approach). Thanks for spotting the TDi, 1.8T eBay listing aswell. Lucky that I am still shopping around.

I'll get the part first, and then let you know if I have any problems. Will get a family, mates, and the local neighbours around to give a helping hand - just incase I get lost under the bonnet and if require any special tools.

Will keep you folks updated... really appreciate your help!

esh, I notice that you've also got a 115bhp GT TDi. Is the turbo throughout the rev range? I notice it kick in about 2000-2400revs, and get pushed back in the 2nd and 3rd gear, but in 4, 5 and 6th, its dead! Also, after about 3000revs, it gets sluggish aswell and just increases speed as a normal car would.

I had a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 up my a** on the M40 and felt embarassed not being able to floor it past 95mph. Rarely drive that fast, but its nice to have faith in the car, knowing that it IS capable of going in excess of 120mph (just in case needed)!

amz
14-03-2007, 06:07 PM
UPDATE: I called three local main VW dealers asking for the part number and they've all quoted me the same... £53.50 + vat = £62.86! Certainly put a smile on my face! Lol

Considering that the Pierburg costs approx £60, I'll go for the direct replacement (Bosch) and hopefully get the lack of power problem sorted for £62.86, and enjoy the thrill of driving the GT TDi!

Just another update: I have spotted the following on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Volkswagen-Air-Mass-Flow-Meter_W0QQitemZ190091322309QQcategoryZ9889QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that you Loz selling it...??? Can someone take a look at it for me please and advise, as it seems too TOO cheap to be true. I've asked the seller a question (asking if its BOSCH and Brand New... even though it says Condition as New, and Bosch in the listing)

dobski
14-03-2007, 08:25 PM
hi,

i brought the pierberg maf as recommended buy the people on this forum it arrived yesterday and i managed to fit it this evening and guess what the problems with lack of power are a thing of the past the car is back to its best and to be honest i think its slightly quicker than before it went powerless cant express how greatfull i am to the guys on this forum as i live in spain and am rather isolated as to english speaking vw mechanics .
so basicaly youve saved me a small fortune between you and made my day.
the problems the guy with the x reg golf is having sounds identical to the problems i was having with mine.:aargh4: :beerchug: :aargh4: :biglaugh:

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN

FuNkYcHiCkEn
14-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Glad it all worked out mate, like I said before the pierburg 7.22684.07.0 gives a slightly better power curve than the bosch one, thats probably why it feels a bit quicker.

Hope you have miles of happy motoring....:biglaugh:

amz
14-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Dobski, nice to know your a happy customer. I'll soon be following in your footsteps, thanks to the fantastic people of the VWAudiforum!

Funnychicken, you've lost me there now with the power curve... :-(

I'll be buying my Bosch replacement unit before the weekend, and fit it soon. The Pierburg looks completely different to the Bosch. Dobski, how long did it take you to fit, and have you noticed a difference in mpg? Was it a direct swap, or did you have to remove the Bosch and fiddle around to get the Pierburg fitted in?

FuNkYcHiCkEn
14-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Amz,

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you!!!

Pierburg produce to different mafs that will fit VAG/BMW vehicles. The 7.22684.08.0 is a direct replacement for the oem Bosch unit and so gives the same performance.

The Pierburg 7.22684.07.0 that is fitted to the Mercedes 220/270 but which will also fit VAG/BMW, has a slightly different resistor fitted to it. It gives different readings to the ECU, which brings the turbo in a few 100 rpm earlier than the Bosch and a gives a smoother acceleration all the way to the red line.

This is why alot of peole fit the Pierburg 7.22684.07.0, not just because of the cost.

It is only a small difference, but most people can notice it..

Hope that helps...

I didnt realise that Bosch had dropped the price of their maf, last time I checked for one for my 320D it was £158 + Vat!!!!

FuNkYcHiCkEn
14-03-2007, 09:21 PM
The Bosch looks very similar to me. Exactly the same fitting and 5 pin terminal, just a slightly different bit on the tip.....

have you removed your sensor to have a look???? or are you looking at that picture on ebay??

amz
14-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply FunkyChicken. I also thought that the Bosch unit would cost at least £100, but am shocked that it's just £62, and possibly able to sort out the fault. VW probably know that this is a common fault and made loadsa MAFs to sort this out, hence reduced the price aswell.

I've seen the 7.22684.07.0 and 7.22684.08.0 (both on eBay) but the image looks different to the original Bosch, hence I am put off buying the Pierburg. I wouldn't have a clue how to fit it on as th Bosch looks like a hollow tube and a big pipe going into it and the other side of the Bosch MAF into the plastic box (air filter). With the Pierburg, where would the big pipe go? I've seen that some people only sell the sensor, and some sell the sensor and housing combined. I don't want to have to fiddle around with the sensor and housing.. want it to be kept easy (am struggling as it is!) Lol

I haven't removed the MAF from my Golf. Have disconnected the wire going into it though and noticed a slightly better performance.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
14-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Amz,

The picture you are looking at for an example on ebay is the housing and sensor. What you will get from the main dealer is just the sensor, it will look very similar to the pierburg sensor. Where you unplugged your maf is the sensor, all you do is remove the two security screws and pull it out, then insert your replacement and refit the screws.

If you are concerned about compatability, stay with the Bosch...

amz
14-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Amz,

The picture you are looking at for an example on ebay is the housing and sensor. What you will get from the main dealer is just the sensor, it will look very similar to the pierburg sensor. Where you unplugged your maf is the sensor, all you do is remove the two security screws and pull it out, then insert your replacement and refit the screws.

If you are concerned about compatability, stay with the Bosch...
Thanks for clarifying that FunkyChicken. It's been confusing me. I will double-check with the main dealer whether it is just the sensor or the housing included. I'm not drawn into getting the Pierburg from Euro CarParts from your advice, as its about the same price, and should be compatible with a smooth acceleration, and would be good to have the turbo kicking in early!!!

I'm definately going to have to get a mate to help me out with all this.

dobski
18-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Dobski, nice to know your a happy customer. I'll soon be following in your footsteps, thanks to the fantastic people of the VWAudiforum!

I'll be buying my Bosch replacement unit before the weekend, and fit it soon. The Pierburg looks completely different to the Bosch. Dobski, how long did it take you to fit, and have you noticed a difference in mpg? Was it a direct swap, or did you have to remove the Bosch and fiddle around to get the Pierburg fitted in?

the peirberg maf is really easy to fit it took me less than 5 mins i did not have to file any lugs of or anything just take the old one off and put the new one in the plug only fits one way as does the maf.if the maf is in the wrong way round the screws dont line up with the holes on the air pipe .
i paid £39 for the pierberg maf and £2.99 for the tamperproof torques bits as recommended to me buy funkychicken of ebay plus shipping but alltogether i think it was about £50

thanks

dobski
18-03-2007, 09:00 AM

the maf cost me about £39 and the tamperproof torques bits cost me £2.99 from ebay and alltogether delivered £50 it took 5 mins to fit no filling the tabs off it can only go in oneway(if you get it wrong you cant line the screws up) and the plug only fits one way easy peasey mate.
when you first see the maf compared to the origanal mf you may think its the wrong one but its not.it will fit.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
18-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Five minutes to fit??

Took me 3 mins and I had a cup of tea in that time!!!!:biglaugh:

amz
18-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey Dobski, you make it sound so easy! Where did you get the Pierburg MAF for £39!? That's VERY cheap. Is that in Spain, or here in the UK? I didn't get round to buying the Bosch MAF on Thurs/Fri, but am definately buying the Pierburg MAF from Euro Car Parts tomorrow. I've heard that they ask loadsa questions, so I've got it planned that I own a Mercedes ;-) but hopefully they won't ask what car I have, etc, etc. I just want to buy the MAF for about £55, get out of there and fix it in the afternoon/evening.

The following image may shed some light for other people who are baffled by the MAF dilemma! It certainly answered loads of my uncertainties!!!

http://www.cnctechnw.com/pics/MAF1.jpg

Funkychicken, it'd probably take about 3mins just to boil the kettle, let alone drinking it, unless you had cold tea ;-) Lol!

Oh, final question, do I need to open the air filter box, or anything to replace the MAF, or is it just a simple case of the disconnecting the wire going into the MAF, unscrew two screws (top and bottom one on the MAF), pull out the old Bosch MAF, replace the new Pierburg one, tighten the two screws on the MAF, and reconnect the wire? (Sounds ever so easy saying that)!

FuNkYcHiCkEn
18-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Amz,

Nice diagram and the replacement is exactly how you have described it, just undo the screws and replace.... You do need special torx security bits to undo them though.....

You can either borrow some or buy them from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-9-Piece-Torx-Screwdriver-Tamper-Proof-T10-T40_W0QQitemZ150100906171QQcategoryZ68034QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Hope that helps:)

Eshrules
18-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Amz,

Nice diagram and the replacement is exactly how you have described it, just undo the screws and replace.... You do need special torx security bits to undo them though.....

You can either borrow some or buy them from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-9-Piece-Torx-Screwdriver-Tamper-Proof-T10-T40_W0QQitemZ150100906171QQcategoryZ68034QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Hope that helps:)

i agree, one of the most common part failures and has to be the easiest (that i know of ) to fix :D

loz683
19-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi guys no end to this forum is there! Anyway just been on ECP website, pierburg MAF £63.00ish inc vat & delivery,stock available,obviously save a few quid if you collect.

Although this unit seem's to be prefered by the majority, is there any loss of MPG or is there nothing between the Pierburg and Bosch units?

FuNkYcHiCkEn
19-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Loz,

Cant say i have noticed any difference in fuel economy, although now the car is running properly it gets thrashed a bit more!!!!:biglaugh:

amz
19-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Folks, guess what...? Just had the MAF changed to a Pierburg and it drives BRILLIANT!!! Amazingly Brilliant with a capital B!!!

I bought the MAF from EuroCarParts for £55 and couldn't be bothered waiting for the Security Torx from eBay so went around stores. Finally managed to find it at Fletchers in Birmingham for £4. Fitted the MAF within 5minutes... yep, FIVE minutes! Only problem I had was fitting the new MAF in, but tightened the screws properly, and the connector doesn't fit in properly, but have pushed it in as much as possible.

Only been on a local test drive so didn't floor it heavily but 0-60mph certainly seems less than 9seconds now (it was about 20seconds before)!

Thanks to EVERYONE who helped me out with this, especially eshrules, onzarob, loz, funkychicken, dobski! You saved me a fortune!!! First time ever I've done some mechanical work on my car, and the satisfaction is great! Highly appreciated!

FuNkYcHiCkEn
19-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Nice one, its like having a new car all over again, have fun:biglaugh:

loz683
20-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the reply Ben looks like i will be ordering the pierburg unit very soon.Is that right what Amz is saying,i presumed the pierburg MAF just dropped in like the factory type and the connections were no different.

Cheers Loz

Eshrules
20-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Ben looks like i will be ordering the pierburg unit very soon.Is that right what Amz is saying,i presumed the pierburg MAF just dropped in like the factory type and the connections were no different.

Cheers Loz

the fitment of the actual pins is no differnt, ie the connection, but the actual plastic part of the MAF is not an exact match for the bosch, which is why a lot of people buy the housing with it, its personal preference i suspect..... im sure i read somewhere though that it just 'adapting' to fit. ill try and find the info i read. :Blush:

loz683
20-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your reply Carl,Ben(funky chicken)reckons in one of his threads that no modification is required on the pierburg unit,but in another thread it say's that removal of the noses is needed,only one way to find out and that's order one,
I am absolutely sure my MAF is shot now got spanked by a 106 on the M60 this morning,enough is enough!

Eshrules
20-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your reply Carl,Ben(funky chicken)reckons in one of his threads that no modification is required on the pierburg unit,but in another thread it say's that removal of the noses is needed,only one way to find out and that's order one,
I am absolutely sure my MAF is shot now got spanked by a 106 on the M60 this morning,enough is enough! << LOL this happend to me, with a ford KA :Blush2: shortly before i realised something was wrong with my turbo LOL and btw, dont be quite so ashamed, 106's are fairly quick, especially the aptly named quicksilver....

loz683
20-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Carl i can assure you it won't be happening for much longer.

amz
20-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I was tail-gated by a Vauxhall Corsa on the outside (3rd) lane and had to pull in to let him go. Was embarassed to even look at the driver. It works perfectly know and all the power has returned when I went for the local test drive yesterday after fitting it (5mins tops).

The car does feel more powerful than what it felt like when I bought it though, but then again... the Bosch MAF could've already been on its way out. This Pierburg one has a slightly different fitment, which some say that need to saw off the edge, in order to allow the connector to fit in properly. I haven't done any changes at all. It didn't plug into the housing tightly, but just screwed on the nuts tight, and it sealed the gap very tightly.

I'll try get some images to explain soon.

loz683
20-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Ok Amz look forward to what ya got,glad the pierburg unit worked for you.

Huffy
20-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Loz,Thanks Loads,for telling me about this thread,it has everything i was mulling over ,during the last few months. My MAF is still disconnected,and the engine definately revs more freely than connected. Just had it serviced too,but not at main dealers,but by my mate,and he agrees its below par,so I might just treat myself to a Pierburg unit! But I was waiting for you to try it first Mate;) . Rang our local Euro Parts,but he wanted the number off the Maf,and didnt recognise the 434220200 part num at all,or was that the wrong Pierburg number for the 1.8 tdi?? I,ll keep you posted ,many thanks all!

Eshrules
20-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Loz,Thanks Loads,for telling me about this thread,it has everything i was mulling over ,during the last few months. My MAF is still disconnected,and the engine definately revs more freely than connected. Just had it serviced too,but not at main dealers,but by my mate,and he agrees its below par,so I might just treat myself to a Pierburg unit! But I was waiting for you to try it first Mate;) . Rang our local Euro Parts,but he wanted the number off the Maf,and didnt recognise the 434220200 part num at all,or was that the wrong Pierburg number for the 1.8 tdi?? I,ll keep you posted ,many thanks all!

thats because the pierburg isnt a vw spare, its designed for merc, the part number you're quoting is for the vw spare. ie you cant go to a merc spares specialist and quote vw spare part numbers at them :p LOL have a read through this thread and find the part number you need, id advise against drivingt without the MAF on for prolonged periods, its not healthy for the car.

i've lost track of who was the OP now :aargh4:

from what i can gather, loz, amz and huffy have all had the same problem, loz and amz appear to be sorted.

one thread, 3 posters, 3 identical problems, 3 identical solutions... thats what i call efficiency :D

Eshrules
20-03-2007, 03:05 PM
in case you have any trouble....

pierburg unit as follows :

ECP part number 434220200

linky http://www.eurocarparts.com

:D

loz683
20-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Huffy go on the ECP website in the search section type in pierburg,up comes a list of all the pierburg part numbers,you should find the p/n you require quite easily,order on line it's a wee bit dearer with the p&p but it saves answering all those awkward questions,

Good luck loz.

amz
20-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Folks,

Here's the breakdown of how a dummy (i.e myself) managed to change my faulty Bosch MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor from my VW Golf Mk4 GT TDi 115bhp. I haven't got a clue whats what under the bonnet but after reading up and taking advise from members of this forum, I managed to change the MAF to a Pierburg one within 5 minutes!

First, it's important to get the correct tool & part to make it easier to fit (just 2 things needed);

MAF (My VW Golf GT TDi had a Bosch 0280 217 121, also known as 038 906 461C. The direct replacement can be bought from VW dealerships for &#163;62.86. I contacted four dealers here in Birmingham and all quoted me the same price (&#163;53.50 + vat)
An alternative to the above is the Pierburg MAF (recommended as more reliable and powerful) 7.22684.07.0! I bought mine from EuroCarParts (Part: 434 220 200) for &#163;53.74 (&#163;45.74 + vat). Make sure you take note of this part number if you are going in to collect it, otherwise they will cause problems in selling it to you (these are for Mercedes and possibly BMW's, not VW's - even though they are compatible. (Best way around this is to go in with the part number 434 220 200 and if they start asking you loads of questions, just say "I work for a garage and am only the driver. I've just received a phone call from my boss who's given me this part code and told me its a Air Sensor, that I need to pick up from yourselves. I don't know what car/model/etc it goes on, as i'm ONLY THE DRIVER!!!" Anyway, EuroCarParts is the cheapest one I found (although some on eBay sell similar one's but no point saving a few pounds if unreliable. I did have a look at other retailers for similar Pierburg MAF's but either they were expensive or didn't have the Pierburg. Don't get fobbed off by retailers selling you cheap China replica's (which are probably compatible, but apparently only last a few hours)!!!
The final tool you will need is a Torx Tamper Proof T20 size screwdriver. Some retailers known this as Torx Security, or even Hexagonal Security screwdriver. A standard Torx screwdriver won't work as there's a security hole in the centre (pic shown below). I bought mine from Fletchers in Aston, Birmingham for &#163;2.99! The guy kindly checked the size to make sure I bought the correct one, as there are different sizes available. People on eBay sell the whole set for less than a fiver;http://www.mint-print.com/ebay/TorxScrewSet.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150100906171&rd=1&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK&#37;3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150100906171&rd=1&rd=1)

Fitting;
This literally took me less than 5 minutes.

1. Get the Pierburg/Bosch MAF ready (see image below)
http://www.mint-print.com/ebay/PierburgPartNo.jpg

2. Get the Torx Tamperproof Screwdriver ready (see image below)
http://www.mint-print.com/ebay/TorxScrew.jpg

3. Pull out the connector going into your MAF (no tools necessary). This is done by pressing the plastic connector slightly and then pulling it apart.

4. Unscrew the two Torx screws located at the top & bottom of the MAF, using your Torx Tamper proof screwdriver and keep them safe (see image below)
http://www.mint-print.com/ebay/MAFPullOut.jpg

5. The MAF will need a bit of pressure to pull out of its housing, as it will already be tightly fitted. Just pull it out as it will be useless anyway. Don't be frightened if your current one looks different to the new one. My Bosch one looked nothing like my Pierburg, and got me worried.

6. Insert your new Pierburg MAF into the same slot. Don't worry about what way it goes in, as the connections will not align if you insert it wrongly.

7. You may notice that the MAF doesn't go all the way into the housing, but DON'T WORRY!!! You will now need to get the 2 Torx screws previously removed, and screw them back into place. The MAF will sit in perfectly once tightened.

8. You now need to do the tricky bit... this is to get the connector put back onto the MAF. This was the only problem I had experienced as the connector didn't sit in easily to the MAF (Even though the pins, etc is the same). I just applied a bit of pressure to fix the connector on properly. Someone on this forum said that can get it done properly if you saw off a bit (approx 3mm) of the Pierburg, although not necessary as I didn't do this. (see image below)

http://www.mint-print.com/ebay/SpotTheDiff.jpg

9. Get into the car and feel the difference in performance!

10. Post back your reviews here!!!

Symptoms of a faulty MAF;

Loss of power through the rev range (usually get the boost at 2200rpm and then goes dead after 2500rpm)
Takes too long getting to 60mph
Declining speed going uphill
Being overtaken by a Corsa, Punto or Clio!!!

Hope that helps you folks, as I've realised that there are loads of people experiencing this problem, and hopefully this will answer alot of your questions.

Eshrules
20-03-2007, 04:44 PM
excellent post Amz, ill pm a mod to get this thread made a sticky, well done for taking it upon yourself to help us all out like that :D

glad you got it sorted :beerchug:

PM Sent :)

loz683
20-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Huffy just been on the ECP site forgot to say type in pierburg air flow meter
the item you need should be near the top,

Huffy
20-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks Loz and eshrules, I tried to price a MAF from our local factors,funnily enough they didnt recognise the part number,mine is a F 00C 2G2 027 872 14 2B (PBT-GF 30) BOSCH,he said it should begin 028???? Anyway I might as well try a Pierburg,the only thing that bothered me, was ,will a 1.8t 90 hp,use the same as a 115hp,that others have used? By the way,I took the MAF out and cleaned it with some Iso Proponal Aerosol,put it back in and reconnected it(It had been unconnected for a while!) Car was flatter than ever! Cheers now.

Huffy
20-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Just seen it on Euro,the Pierburg Maf, £63-16 inclusive of VAT and P@P;)

amz
20-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey Huffy, the Pierburg MAF recommended is the one for a Mercedes Diesel engine, and works fine on my GT TDi 115bhp. I don't think it will work on a 1.8T Petrol though, so don't go splashing out on that. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the one that would suit your vehicle.

Sounds as though it's definately your MAF that has gone, if you reconnected it and its flatter than ever. I was told that Carbon Cleaner of some sort, or even rinsing the MAF in warm water would work. I didn't go down this route though.

loz683
21-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi Huffy i am a bit confused are you running a 1.8tdi or 1.8 petrol as stated by Amz cos in one of your threads you said 1.8tdi?

Eshrules
21-03-2007, 09:33 AM
rinsing the MAF in warm water would work. I didn't go down this route though.

:aargh4: noooo the MAFs an electrical component, if you're going to clean it, as i was told by frakkafield, you've got to do it with a spray that will not leave a residue and which dries quickly. there is no way on earth that if you rinse it thorugh with water, will you ever get it %100 dry again... dont ever rinse it through with warm water, besides the damp, think of all the impurities in the water.... :(

loz683
21-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,well i've bit the bullet and just ordered my pierburg MAF from ECP
should arrive sometime tomorrow so you all know what i will be doing when i get home from work.Ican't wait to feel the difference when the new MAF is installed,if Amz's reaction is anything to go by then i'm in for a bit of a
treat,obviously not as quick as his 115 Golf but i am pretty sure my 90 Bora is gonna go a lot better,i'll let you know what happens,watch this space,loz.

Huffy
21-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry ,my fault ,its a turbo diesel 90 bhp:confused:

Huffy
21-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I ordered one last night too,so it,ll be interesting to see how we both get on;)

loz683
21-03-2007, 02:48 PM
we'll compare notes after installation,fingers crossed!

What is the set up like on the 1.8tdi?is it similar to the pictures posted on Amz's thread? i.e.90-115 bhp.

cheers loz.

amz
21-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Loz / Huffy, well done taking the first step to purchasing the Pierburg unit from ECP. I can't get my head around noticing the difference in performance. It's literally power on tap! I'm having to be careful I don't speed around, and ease of the accelerator, as it's a fantastic feeling seeing the car in the rear-view mirror disappear!!! ;-)

I haven't yet taken it on a long run, but am considering visitting London on the weekend or possibly Leicester, to check out the motorway performance, particularly the difference in mpg. I used to get on average 53mpg whilst travelling 80mph in 6th gear. Will be interesting to see whether I get more/less mpg, and also, I want to check out whether I can floor past 90mph easily, leaving the Ka's, Punto's, Clio's for dust....!!!

Not sure whether there is a different set p for the 1.8 TDi's as I am literally mechanically useless when it comes to parts/or anything under the bonnet! If you have the Torx Tamper Proof T20 size screwdriver, you'll be fine! Even if it doesn't fit properly, the worst-case scenario is having to flog the part on eBay...! It literally takes 5minutes to fit. Let us know how you get on, and if you need any help, do let us know.

loz683
22-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Amz hpoefully i'll be like a kid in a sweet shop as well after i fit my new MAF tonight,i think Huffy ordered his first so he's got the jump on me on that one,looking forward to reading his next thread should be interesting.

cheers Loz.

Huffy
22-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Doh, just been looking at the reg document,of course its a 1.9 s tdi , not only do I look like Homer:beerchug: !!!!! Anyway, Euro have had probs with the credit card ,so it seems!!! GGrrr. I persume my 1.9 uses the same engine as the 115hp one,but slightly differently fuelled? Chipped? I have just rung the local VW dealer,£74 plus vat for the proper sensor!!!

Huffy
22-03-2007, 12:42 PM
This is some very interesting reading on the subject,Enjoy!http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi/pages/cdi_maf.html

loz683
22-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Huffy is'nt there no ECP local to you or can't you use another card off somebody you know,not only is the VW unit dearer but like eveybody has said the pierburg gives better performance and is more reliable and seems to have a better life expectancy.
my unit was delivered 08.30 this morning and as you know i only ordered it dinner timeish yesterday,i think you should hold out for the pierburg.

loz683
22-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Huffy thanks for the info makes good reading,the guy does'nt knock the pierburg does he if anything gives it a clean bill of health,anyway mine has arrived now so no going back i'll let you know what happens.

cheers loz.

Huffy
22-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Best of luck Loz, Another interesting read is this,and I apologise for introducing links to another forum,(anyway,this ones better:o ) http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=53390&highlight=MB+CDI+Maf I found this is very enlightening,but I,ve ordered a Pierburg anyway,and if it does not work it,ll be off to my local scrappy,a mile away!

loz683
23-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Huffy, are you READY,pierburg MAF out of this world took me 3 minutes to
install and i can't believe the difference i went for a spin and within the first two seconds knew i was in for a treat,the car pulls like crazy,the power and smoothness is fantastic it's like having a new car,i start work really early so was on the motorway at 05.30 this morning and gave it some welly 100 mph no problem,110mph stiil pulling and plenty left, had to pull back before i got nicked,
I read the threads you sent and really it's like everybody has said it's down to personal preference,i know it's early days but i am a pierburg convert and i think the positives out weigh the negatives.I had no problem starting up this morning(first turn of the key) and under hard acceleration have not seen any smoke,i am truly amazed by what this small change has done to the behavior of my car it's turned from a limp slug to greyhound.

I like to thank everybody for thier input on this forum because without you guys it would of took me ages to get to the bottom of this problem,thanks for getting my Bora back on track.

cheers loz.

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Huffy, are you READY,pierburg MAF out of this world took me 3 minutes to
install and i can't believe the difference i went for a spin and within the first two seconds knew i was in for a treat,the car pulls like crazy,the power and smoothness is fantastic it's like having a new car,i start work really early so was on the motorway at 05.30 this morning and gave it some welly 100 mph no problem,110mph stiil pulling and plenty left, had to pull back before i got nicked,
I read the threads you sent and really it's like everybody has said it's down to personal preference,i know it's early days but i am a pierburg convert and i think the positives out weigh the negatives.I had no problem starting up this morning(first turn of the key) and under hard acceleration have not seen any smoke,i am truly amazed by what this small change has done to the behavior of my car it's turned from a limp slug to greyhound.

I like to thank everybody for thier input on this forum because without you guys it would of took me ages to get to the bottom of this problem,thanks for getting my Bora back on track.

cheers loz.

you're very very welcome, im considering a pierburg myself now, just for the sheer curiosity of it....

loz683
23-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Carl trust me you won't regret it and many thanks for all your input you were one of the first to contribute way back in febuary,

Cheers Loz.

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey Carl trust me you won't regret it and many thanks for all your input you were one of the first to contribute way back in febuary,

Cheers Loz.

i've got some money coming my way soon, courtesy of my ice install being sold... so when i get the spare cash ill get one ordered.... the supplying dealer of mine said they'd replaced mine, but im not convinced at all.

you're more than welcome Loz, glad to help people, in turn, youll now have the info to help people... its all a happy circle of love :D

loz683
23-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Carl could'nt agree more and soon you'll be very very happy when you get your new MAF.

Cheers Loz.

FuNkYcHiCkEn
23-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Loz,

At last, you have done it, nice one. I guess this will be the end of the thread then......:biglaugh:

Pierburg Rules

Huffy
23-03-2007, 09:39 PM
No, it won,t be the end of the thread,coz I,ve fitted my Pierberg this afternoon,and I can catagorically say that I cant believe I have had the car for 2 yrs without realizing how it could go,for real!!! different altogether,and that was just going for a mile rip up the road and back!! Will have to reserve full judgement till I,ve got time for a burn ,but first impressions 100%. The reason I cant judge as well as perhaps you others can is because the car was like it when I bought it -I suppose the Maf just either works or it doesn,t? so I cant judge what it was like with a good Bosch sensor in it.But if I see one at the scrappy,s going cheap I may just put it in for a comparison-but there again i cant be a***d!! Thanks all of you for your help,esp Loz,because knowing me,I,d be riding around with the Maf disconnected in another 2 yrstime !!!:D

NicholasP
23-03-2007, 09:42 PM
:o does this maf fit in the mk3?

amz
23-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey Huffy. I know EXACTLY how you feel, as i'm still getting over the shock of how powerful my 115bhp GT TDi really is! I'm definately sure that the main dealer sold me the car with a faulty MAF, as it is just wicked now! It's just an excellent feeling knowing that I can now floor the car in any gear, and still have increasing speed.

The mpg is slightly lower though, as i'm getting about 35-37mpg locally. Used to get about 40-44mpg locally and 50+ mpg on motorway. Not sure if its the Pierburg MAF, or whether its just me being a bit of a spoilt kid being heavy on with the right foot!

Huffy
23-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Ha,Yes,I suppose the temptation is to make her work to her capabilities,and I am not suprised about the mpg,because ,as it,d never go very well ,you got used to driving like Victor Meldrew,well I did, sometimes,but "I Dont Believe It " is the case now. The only watchword is-is that people dont think that just fitting a Pierburg is going to be like a remap! Bear in mind ,always ,that in all 3 cases the MAF had gone bad! And I would not advise Nicolas to invest in one, but do read my link to the other forum,that has 15 pages dedicated to pros and cons of Bosch or Pierburg,All the best now.

wasabi
24-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey Guys,

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on my situation.

My 130 bhp tdi works great the majority of the time, the turbo works all the way until it is asked to accelerate hard from 2000 rpm to around 3500 + in 4th - 6th gear.

Once this point is reached the car will put itself into limp mode. I can turn the car off and on again (whilst still moving) and the performance is back until i will push it again past 3500 revs and it will repeat the process. I must stress the turbo does pull like a train but dies at a certain stress level.

I have replaced the N75 valve to no avail, have looked at replacing the MAF but my problem sounds different to those highlited here.

The car does run a bit gruff on occassion, which made me wonder if the MAF did need replacing.

I know these turbos get sticky vains, and the internal waste gates get clogged and stick resulting in an over boost reading, but im reluctant to shell out on a new turbo when it clearly works.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated (have had a few experiences of the car going into limp mode whilst over taking - not fun)

loz683
26-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi Ben(funky chicken)sorry took so long to reply to you my pc at home is playing up,had to wait until i got to work.Anyway yes i've made the leap and i am over the moon i just love driving my Bora now i'm like a big kid in a sweet shop,i still can't get over what a difference this new pierburg MAF has made to my car,it's power on tap when ever i want and early signs say no loss of MPG as long as i keep off the loud pedal,nice one Ben thanks for all your input in this forum.

Cheers Loz.

loz683
26-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi Huffy well i take it your ever so slightly impressed thought you might be!
My car was the same as your's when i got it,gutless,i just had a feeling that something was'nt quite right, that's why i started this thread,i did'nt realise what a can of worms i was gonna open but as it happens quite a few of us got a result from it,result all round then.
Hope you get many miles of happy motoring from your new MAF,

Cheers Loz.

amz
26-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Road Test Result: Travelled from Birmingham to London yesterday evening. Was doing 100mph easily, and still had power to go on. Went to 115mph comfortably before some idiot pulled into the outside lane. I got 45mpg for the 112mile journey although was accelerating heavy... can do 60mph from 6th gear to 100 within about 10seconds. It's fantastic!

On the way back yesterday night, I got 54.3mpg travelling 80mph, which is good (as before with my faulty MAF). Result all round :-)

loz683
26-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi Amz looks like everybody who has converted to the God Pierburg are well happy now that's a result!

Cheers Loz.

Scottiedogg
27-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi guys,
I've been reading through all the various posts on here about flat spots on vee dubs. I have a 1.9 TDI Passat (engine code AFN) which has also developed a huge flat spot in 3rd gear at around 3000 revs - especially under load or going uphill. I've noted that you all seem to recommend swapping the MAF. I've already tried cleaning it using electrical contact cleaner but this does not seem to help at all. I've also tried unplugging the MAF but this just seems to make the car feel flatter in all gears and at all the rev range.
Does anyone still think this could be the MAF or should I start to look at things like the vacuum lines?
Any help or advice would be really appreciated as I've got a trip to Cornwall soon and those hills on the A30 are a real killer!

Cheers,

Scottiedogg.

MasterMickVW
27-03-2007, 11:34 PM
It's your wastegate on the turbo sticking,quite common on the AFN.Just establish that when u lose the power when u off/on igniton and start going again the power has returned.If so u can try lubing the actuator rod from the vacuum unit to the turbo.And get the fault memory erased.Just as a point of interest all this talk of cleaning MAF's?i've never had one work.9/10 times motor factor air filters are being fitted to save 20pence and they don't do the same job as genuine parts,bits of crap get on the heating element in the MAF it heats up burns out and costs u more money?how good is that?

loz683
28-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi Scottiedogg i take it you have read this thread from start to finish,so you will have seen that the overall trend was that there was a loss of power through every gear and no top end speed,your problem you say only affects you in third gear so i would suspect you have a problem elsewhere.You could try changing the MAF but that's only a long shot but you never know,can't you borrow one from somewhere to eliminate the MAF or for £45 + vat you could purchase one from Euro Car Parts,you'll find a link to the web site on ne of the threads i think it was from Eshrules, good luck.

cheers loz.

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 08:22 AM
It's your wastegate on the turbo sticking,quite common on the AFN.Just establish that when u lose the power when u off/on igniton and start going again the power has returned.If so u can try lubing the actuator rod from the vacuum unit to the turbo.And get the fault memory erased.Just as a point of interest all this talk of cleaning MAF's?i've never had one work.9/10 times motor factor air filters are being fitted to save 20pence and they don't do the same job as genuine parts,bits of crap get on the heating element in the MAF it heats up burns out and costs u more money?how good is that?

i agree with the wastegate idea... but only if the turbo is entering limp mode.... unfortunatley, he doesnt state this. what confuses me though, is if it is the wastegate, it wouldnt just happen in 3rd would it? unless 3rd is the only gear he is getting high enough in the revs for it to be noticeable...

Scottiedogg - we could do with a little more detail. when you say you 'lose power' do you lose all turbo completley, until the engine is restarted? or, does it seem to just limit the revs/power once you have reached 3k revs?

also, is this fault specific to 3rd gear, or does it happen in 4th & 5th & 6th(if fitted) also?

it could also be beneficial to get any fault codes left. i suspect the 'sticky vines' of the turbo may also be to blame...an overboost could indicate this....

Huffy
28-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Thought you,d find this interesting,thought originally it was my problem!
http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbinen/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Thought you,d find this interesting,thought originally it was my problem!
http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbinen/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

a useful link and im not sure what you mean about it being 'your' problem? i thought you had addressed yours with a new MAF?

Huffy
29-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry Esh,I should spend a little more time explaining when I write replys:o , No,it was the one thing I had considered was the major cause of flat performance in MY car,but as you rightly say,I have sorted it with the new Maf:beerchug: :biglaugh: :beerchug: . I would not recommend anyone just pull the turbo to bits ,but I was wondering how common it is for the vanes to coke up like that?? That makes the actuator sieze or go stiff ,am I not right? It was just a thought, you know:Blush2: Cheers now!

gazza57
29-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Loz,

Updated my thread. It is the MAF sensor causing my problem.

Only one bit to add on cleaning it. It's the tamper proof Torx screws.

They have a small dot in the middle that prevents a normal torx fitting in.

As Eshrules says, they are notorious for suiting up. My colleague has an S3 and has cleaned his MAF several times. Much cheaper than buying a new one.

You could try what I did and what Eshrules suggested, pull the MAF sensor loom connector off and see if it improves. It reverts to a default map, mine is running a little rough under 1500rpm on the default map.

Hope you get it corrected.

Cheers
I have heard that you can buy the tamperproof torx drives on the net, may be worth a go
Gazza57

Eshrules
29-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Sorry Esh,I should spend a little more time explaining when I write replys:o , No,it was the one thing I had considered was the major cause of flat performance in MY car,but as you rightly say,I have sorted it with the new Maf:beerchug: :biglaugh: :beerchug: . I would not recommend anyone just pull the turbo to bits ,but I was wondering how common it is for the vanes to coke up like that?? That makes the actuator sieze or go stiff ,am I not right? It was just a thought, you know:Blush2: Cheers now!

it is quite common.. which is why it is reccomended to get the car out and give it a good blast now and again, these cars are not designed to be 'pampered' you have to get the turbo hot enough to burn off the soot, if you mother the turbo too much, you run the risk of it seizing with all the crud and soot it collects....

a simple blast normally sorts most faults, but with others, the mechanism has to be cleaned and/or loosened off... definitley a nono for somone who has limited mechanical skill though:Blush:

Scottiedogg
29-03-2007, 11:01 PM
i agree with the wastegate idea... but only if the turbo is entering limp mode.... unfortunatley, he doesnt state this. what confuses me though, is if it is the wastegate, it wouldnt just happen in 3rd would it? unless 3rd is the only gear he is getting high enough in the revs for it to be noticeable...

Scottiedogg - we could do with a little more detail. when you say you 'lose power' do you lose all turbo completley, until the engine is restarted? or, does it seem to just limit the revs/power once you have reached 3k revs?

also, is this fault specific to 3rd gear, or does it happen in 4th & 5th & 6th(if fitted) also?

it could also be beneficial to get any fault codes left. i suspect the 'sticky vines' of the turbo may also be to blame...an overboost could indicate this....

Hi guys,

Just got the car read on VAG COM - no faults showing. The flat spot is more noticable in 3rd gear but is still there in 4th and to a little extent 5th but it doesn't seem to happen in 1st or 2nd. To answer your question Eshrules, there is a lack of power just before 3000 revs and very little acceleration until I change up to 4th. The car has never gone into 'limp' mode and I've never had to restart the engine. I give the car a good blast through the gears at least once a month (its a town car during the week so I know it needs a clear out every now and then) and I've noticed this getting gradually worse as I try to boot through 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd pull cleanly through to 4000+ revs and it doesn't smoke too badly either. Something that I've only just noticed however is that it seems to be worse when the engine has warmed up and has been running for a while - a clue perhaps? I had read somewhere that a leak in the vacuum lines could cause this, but like someone said earlier I thought I would be getting symptons in every gear, not just 3rd. As I'm not the most mechanically minded person, are the sticky vanes a huge problem to fix or am I looking at a new turbo? And how would I tell if I'm getting overboost?

Cheers for the help so far,
Scottiedogg

amz
29-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Scottiedog, whereabouts in Brum are you? I had a similar problem (you might have read my posts earlier in this thread) with lack of power through the gears, and struggling to accelerate to 90mph. I managed to resolve the problem with a new Pierburg MAF.

I ain't an expert at all this technical/mechanical stuff, but if you are going to replace the MAF, and need the tamper-proof Torx T20 screwdriver, you can use mine, as i'm in Sparkhill. Try disconnecting the MAF connection and check if it improves performance. If it does, then that's your best bet. Good luck mate.

ascension
04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Read this thread last week after having some problems with my mk4 Golf 1.9 TDi 115 and purchased myself the part described a couple of pages in, the Pierburg part from Euro Car Parts 7.22684.07.0, only problem is, after installing it I realised the clips weren't the same, the clip on the connector of my golf sits on top and the Pierburg part has no clip on the top but two small ones on the side.

Is it possible there is more than one variation of the part above? Has anyone else had this problem and could I get round it without having to take the part back again?

Any help much appreciated :D

Eshrules
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Read this thread last week after having some problems with my mk4 Golf 1.9 TDi 115 and purchased myself the part described a couple of pages in, the Pierburg part from Euro Car Parts 7.22684.07.0, only problem is, after installing it I realised the clips weren't the same, the clip on the connector of my golf sits on top and the Pierburg part has no clip on the top but two small ones on the side.

Is it possible there is more than one variation of the part above? Has anyone else had this problem and could I get round it without having to take the part back again?

Any help much appreciated :D

;) i dont think you read all the thread then... otherwise you would have seen the walkthrough on post no 101.... and i quote

"8. You now need to do the tricky bit... this is to get the connector put back onto the MAF. This was the only problem I had experienced as the connector didn't sit in easily to the MAF (Even though the pins, etc is the same). I just applied a bit of pressure to fix the connector on properly. Someone on this forum said that can get it done properly if you saw off a bit (approx 3mm) of the Pierburg, although not necessary as I didn't do this. (see image below)"

amz
04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Loll eshrules, my handy explanation being quoted once again! :-) ascension, you've got the same part that I bought from EuroCarParts, and I had exactly the same situation as you, and car! You will need to apply a bit of pressure to connect the two properly together, but I wouldn't recommend pushing it in too much, otherwise the plastic MIGHT snap, so it's a judgement call... only you would know. Secure it as tight as you see fit, to ensure the pins are touching, and that it won't break apart. Good luck, and post your feedback on performance, etc.

loz683
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Ascension,fitted mine a few weeks ago my MAF was the same as yours,don't worry about the fit just push it on you won't have any problems.If you want a really neat fit you can file the tabs on the sides down but as the pierburg unit has no top clip i think the tabs give the connector a tight fit,it's up to you mate whatever floats ya boat,as for the pierburg unit,don't be taking it back,once fitted i think you'll be in for a nice surprise,if you've read this thread from start to finish you will see what a difference this MAF has made,go for it.

cheers loz.

ascension
05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Thought I'd read the whole way through the thread, 15 pages was quite a lot though :Blush2:

So I fitted it and all was good, tremendous boost in power over what I had been getting, great stuff.

Only issue is the vibrations from the engine etc keep making it come loose and I lose all the power again, I'm thinking maybe shaving a couple of mm of the connector housing might sort this, that or a complete bodge job and taping the thing on :p

loz683
05-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I can't understand why your MAF is coming loose,mine has'nt moved since i fitted it,like i said earlier try shaving a bit off the tabs at the sides,take a little at a time off until you get a nice fit,it does fit though trust us we can't all be wrong.

ascension
05-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah I dunno, I'm sure you are not all wrong I'm not doubting that :D

Taped it up before leaving for work this morning, was fine for a bit then lost the power again, going to try shaving a bit off the connector and hope and pray that works, otherwise I'm in trouble, lol.

loz683
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Take your time and take a little bit off at a time and keep trying the fit until you are satisfied you have got a good connection,if you dont want to use a blade,use a small file to reduce the tab size it should'nt take long i'm sure you will sort it out and you won't be in trouble.

Cheers loz.

Huffy
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
The Pieburg MAF ,as has been said elsewhere is fractionally deeper in the socket,or to put it another way,if you compare the 2 ,one has a fractionally longer socket,although the internal plug is exactly the same,and I filed or shaved perhaps 3 ml off it to ensure the pins are going to insert home properley,Do you think that may be part of the trouble ? Hope you sort it:aargh4:

Scottiedogg
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Scottiedog, whereabouts in Brum are you? I had a similar problem (you might have read my posts earlier in this thread) with lack of power through the gears, and struggling to accelerate to 90mph. I managed to resolve the problem with a new Pierburg MAF.

I ain't an expert at all this technical/mechanical stuff, but if you are going to replace the MAF, and need the tamper-proof Torx T20 screwdriver, you can use mine, as i'm in Sparkhill. Try disconnecting the MAF connection and check if it improves performance. If it does, then that's your best bet. Good luck mate.

Amz,
sorry I haven't replied for a while been way too busy at work, DOH!
I've already tried unplugging the MAF then going for a drive - all this seems to do is make the car seem flatter along all the rev range so I think I can rule out a MAF change (although I might change it later if all the hype is true about the power increases when using the Pierburg MAF) :D

Does anyone know if the Pierburg MAF mentioned throughout this thread fits the 110 BHP AFN engine though?

Cheers guys.

loz683
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi scottiedogg,if Amz is local to you why don't you try his MAF on your car you can then eliminate the MAF for sure.

It's not hype mate the pierburg MAF works like a dream.

cheers loz.

loz683
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Scottiedogg,forgot to add there is no reason why the pierburg MAF should'nt fit your car mine's a 90bhp and Amz has 115bhp so you should be ok.

Scottiedogg
06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi scottiedogg,if Amz is local to you why don't you try his MAF on your car you can then eliminate the MAF for sure.

It's not hype mate the pierburg MAF works like a dream.

cheers loz.

Cheers Loz :beerchug: ,

Amz what you reckon? I'm in Sutton Coldfield so not a million miles away.

amz
06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Scottiedog, I am reluctant to remove my Pierburg MAF as it's doing well in the car, and the connector is extremely tightly fitted, so I don't want to remove that.

I'm in Sparkhill... about 8miles away from you I think. I've still got my old Bosch MAF, so we could give that a try. I don't think it was completely worn out though, as the car did have increasing power through all the gears, but not accelerating as fast as my new Pierburg. Only you would be able to compare the difference of your existing MAF, and my Bosch MAF. Scottie, what is the fastest you can go in your Golf? I could barely do 90mph with my old MAF. People do say that disconnecting the old MAF should increase the power, but if your is making it worse, then might be something different. Let me know mate.

Scottiedogg
07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Amz,

Yeah its prob best to leave your Pierburg MAF alone as its working OK. I'm begining to think that my prob isn't with the MAF anyway but poss with the turbo or (hopefully) the vacuum lines. Thanks for the offer of trying your old Bosch MAF anyway. I'm gonna try to look into whether the Pierburg MAF will fit my Passat or not - will try and find someone who changed their Bosch one on a 110Bhp AFN engine in a Passat (anyone?).
To answer your other question Amz, the last time I had a chance to floor my car it crawled its way just past the 100 mark but it took some effort. It felt like there was perhaps a little more pull left but I didn't have enough road left to try.

Anyway I've got the car booked into the garage next weekend so hopefully I'll know whats up with it by then. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers

ini
07-04-2007, 02:45 PM
For everyone wanting to change their Bosch 'hot film' MAF to the longer lasting Pierburg type, here are some handy links.

Also when buying a Pierburg MAF The same part can vary widely in price depending on what car it is purchased for.

I replaced the Pierburg MAF on my A4 TDI SE 110 with a MAF advertised for a Ford Galaxy TDI. Exactly the same part sold for an Audi was twice the price.

Pierburg part numbers for Audi (MAF,N75 etc)
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/download/pg_gesamtkatalog/data/pg_audi_web.pdf

VW parts MAF, N75 etc
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/download/pg_gesamtkatalog/data/pg_volkswagen_web.pdf

General EGR, MAF, N75 info for non-PD VAG tdi
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/ximages/PG_SI_0017_EN_WEB.pdf

All cars
http://www.msi-motor-service.com/ks/en/kataloge/herst_pg_gesamtkatalog_en.asp

Pierburg/Bosch connector soultions
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=533152

onzarob
10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
GARPA, you have posted a new thread also, so any posters please follow the link and post comments there concerning this problem.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=32537&posted=1#post32537

Eshrules
10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
i've taken the decision to close this thread as i think it is starting to detract from the origional issue and is becoming a little too long winded for any other members to even follow.

when i get chance, i will try to take the 'useful' info from the thread and remove the non useful info....

if the OP disagrees with this decision could they please let me know, just trying to limit the confusion that is bound to arise....

:)