PDA

View Full Version : Momentary loss of drive - fuel ?

zeroseven
16-11-2008, 05:48 PM
1993 Audi A3 2.0 FSi

Its happened three times now, twice for less than a second, total loss of drive, all electrics appear ok. Yesterday it cut out for about 5 seconds (doing 70mph + on M25) Electrics appeared unaffected so I wondered could it be either fuel pump or fly by wire throttle? The power loss was total, not like running out of fuel (so eliminated bad fuel or pump?), like a switch being flipped, then it came back on......

Any thoughts?

zeroseven
18-11-2008, 12:37 AM
guess not. what a piece of crap this car is....

dayks
18-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I had a similar problem a while back that may be of interest. The car would run out of urge although not cut out completely, after a few instances of this scary event I was calm enough to notice that the engine would only give 3000RPM (2003 A3 2.0 FSi engine).

Turned out the fuel pump was defective and needed changing but had not totally failed, instead gone into some kind of "limp home" mode. Please don't ask me the details as I am a mechanical numpty:o

Hope that is of some use!

zeroseven
19-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks dayks - thats useful. Anyone know if its possible to test the pump once its removed?

Andy500
23-11-2008, 09:01 PM
My 03 53 2.0 FSI is having the exact same trouble. I had the waterpump and cambelt changed a few weeks ago and have now noticed that it just seems to lose all power at random occasions. Its happened twice on the motorway where it just loses power whilst cruising and then picks back up after a few seconds. Sometimes it goes for days with nothing happening and then it will do it again, the fault light on the dash never lights up.

The garage i use plugged it up and said that the only fault in the ecu memory is for the NOX sensor, (there were 3 recorded faults) can this cause this sort of problem? They also said that the car had recently had a new EGR valve and that it is likely to need an ecu upgrade from Audi, is this true?
Thanks