PDA

View Full Version : New A6 iPod Question

MarkD
16-02-2007, 12:44 AM
My first post, nice to join the community. Also my first Audi
I have just ordered a 2.0 TDI but didn't go for the ipod kit as it meant upgrade to the MMI High so started getting expensive.

I was wondering if there was an iPod kit availble that works with the MMI Basic plus.

gianton
16-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I think this might work:

http://www.dension4u.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1439&products_model=&osPsid=abaf0a3e53225c266e89461bceb9182d

really wants an RS6
16-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I've got a dension in my A6 and it's very good and easy to fit. It has a link lead that goes between the stereo and the power leads that plug into it and works through the multichanger controls.

MarkD
16-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately it only works with the colour MMI High and not the standard mono one (MMI Basic Plus), and all the others only seem to be compatable with A6's before 2005.

Daytripper
18-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi

The autochanger will recognise MP3 cd's and display the text. If you have a home PC you can easily get 50 - 60 if not more songs on a standard CD with good quality play back.

M

MarkD
18-02-2007, 10:20 PM
That's great news. Problem solved then. Does anybody know where I can find info on the MMI Basic plus, there is not much I can find online

MarkD
18-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Mark,

I can see from other posts you also have a 2.0 TDI. Do u have the MMI High (Colour one) or the standard MMI Basic Plus (Mono one)?
Have u tried the MP3 Disks? Did u use any special burining software

johnpen
19-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I also have a 2.0TDi with MMI Basic Plus monochrome.

I'm making use of the mp3 facility and can get about 6-10 albums on each CD depending on quality. It works realy well, good quality and easy to nivigate via the MMI.

I've used both Nero and Roxio to create the CD's but I would of though most CD burning software can do this, it just uses an online database to get track/artist info so you can see this in the MMI

MarkD
19-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks Jon,

Thats great news.

greenman
14-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I've got a 2005 A6 3.0 TDi with the 6 CD changer but I cant gert it to recognise an mp3 CD. It comes up with CD Rom on the MMI display but it is greyed out. Is it only recent models that will recognise the mp3/wmi format?

Keith

Daytripper
14-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Use Nero software and burn the disc as a multisession disc it should solve the problem.

Good luck

Mark.

gianton
14-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I've got a 2005 A6 3.0 TDi with the 6 CD changer but I cant gert it to recognise an mp3 CD. It comes up with CD Rom on the MMI display but it is greyed out. Is it only recent models that will recognise the mp3/wmi format?

Keith

Only 2007 models support mp3 playback by the CD changer. Instead of the CD/DVD button a Media button is there:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9591/1039296mmicontrolsgo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

greenman
14-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I just tried another disk as suggested in the previous post with no joy so thanks for the reply. Do you know if its possible to upgrade the system to use a dvd instead of the changer or as an add-on? I don't have the TV or the Sat-nav installed.

minnowmills
15-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I have an audi a6 and when i bought it it had the cd changer missing! so i purchased the PHATNOISE in car system. it plugs straight in to the boot of your car using the std cd plug. it has a 20gb disc for mp3 and is all controlled from the main bose audi radio. so know one will would know any different. Works very well and allows indexing and playlists like an ipod!.

i paid brand new £180.00 but its well worth it!

you have a docking station that the cartridge plugs in to which connects to the pc.

will store thousands of songs.

and a nice touch is that it talks to you when selecting the album and tells you names.

as i say this is an option!

PAH
21-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I have a 2006 A6 with DVD nav, but I have the CD/TV button, and not the media button. I'll have to speak to Audi to see if there is an upgrade option. - I assume it is only a software issue.

I also noticed in the photo above that the map on the screen looks slightly 3 dimentional, as opposed to a directly above 2-D view.

Seems there were a few software updates for 2007.

RickB
30-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I have an audi a6 and when i bought it it had the cd changer missing! so i purchased the PHATNOISE in car system. it plugs straight in to the boot of your car using the std cd plug. it has a 20gb disc for mp3 and is all controlled from the main bose audi radio. so know one will would know any different. Works very well and allows indexing and playlists like an ipod!.

i paid brand new £180.00 but its well worth it!

you have a docking station that the cartridge plugs in to which connects to the pc.

will store thousands of songs.

and a nice touch is that it talks to you when selecting the album and tells you names.

as i say this is an option!

What age is your Audi. I think the Phatboy works with the pre 2004 models, but the new MMI stuff is fibre only, and the multichangers are now glove box fitted.

I may ring the Audi dealer I normally use and ask if my audio only CD multichanger can be swapped for an MP3 one.

greenman
31-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Mine is a 2005 (54 plate). Seems I can't get anything to fit into the mmi. Local Audi dealer isn't interested at all.

RickB
31-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Same here everytime I ask. The stock answer seems to be because the MMI if fibre you can't do anyting with it!!:confused:

Even though I've had quotes from 3rd parties to retro fit the actual Audi DAB and bluetooth modules!!

I asked them yesterday whether I could retro fit the mp3 capable cd multichanger in place of te audio only one I currently have and am awaiting a reply to this.

Jon474
12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a single CD player in my MMI Basic A6. This week I tried to get this upgraded to a multi-changer.

New unit £360 inc VAT + £105 labour. Hmm...not too bad.

Phone call. Needs a new glove box too £190 + VAT + Fitting time (unspecified)

Total cost now £792 + unknown fitting time at £105 per hour.

Expensive business.:mad:

Tried to get an iPod unit retro-fitted...can't do it. Only available at factory fit.

Right...what after market CD changers are available and can I get one that fits into the existing glovebox?

Wish I'd read the order form a bit more closely.

Thanks
Jon

morticiaskeeper
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Harman Kardon do a thing called a "Drive + Play" that attaches a hidden ipod to your system. It comes with it's own display and control wheel.

It is about to be discontinued, so my local ********* are selling them for £80 with free fitting.

The Mk2 version is due soon with wireless connections between the controller and display, bluetooth and the ability to accept usb flash drives as well as Ipods.

I like the idea of the flash drive, 'cos it means I'm not tied to itunes on my pc, but the price has not yet been announced, so it might work out cheaper to buy the mk1 and a cheap ipod.

tygertyger
13-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Whoa!!

I am sure these solutions will work - but you may want to try a much cheaper alternative first.

I bought an FM transmitter for my IPod. All you have to do is tune the radio in to pick up the frequency of the transmitter - and these days it is even legal!!

Try EBay for a full selection - mine came with a 12v charger so the battery doesn't even run down

JPW's AUDI
24-07-2007, 09:06 PM
There are some better 'transmitters' than the ipod one. Belkin does one that does 88.- 109 Mhz. Useful to find free space. I 'hardwired' directly to the aerial (lease car... can't do too much else :o) as the low radiated power gives a very bad signal to noise ratio and poor treble (as car stereos reduce treble if the signal is low to prevent hissing)

Open the transmitter. find transmit aerial and just extend it (I use iRock...) Strictly speaking, now they are transmitter and therefore lesser legal...

Also be aware that transmitters for the US do not perform well in europe )different pre-emphase tooooooo technical now....

L0U1S
26-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I've just had a full iPod interface installed in my Audi. I was told that because an FM transmitter has to send a signal through the air, similar to your radio, it is liable to interference.

I went for the interface because I didn't want a new stereo fitted, but I did want my iPod installed in my car. I went searching for a cheap way of doing this without using an FM transmitter and came across iPod and MP3 player interfaces for factory fitted stereos from here - www.ktduk.com (http://www.ktduk.com/)

Got it installed and working like a charm, I would advise an interface for the extra £20 rather than an FM transmitter :p

morticiaskeeper
27-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Lou1s

Which interface did you have fitted?

I'm torn between an interface where the iPod controls the sound, and therefore is on show, or the Harman Kardon option where the iPod is hidden and a new controller/display is installed.

Then there is the control from the Symphony 2 option.

Just getting confused new :-)

L0U1S
27-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I got myself an integration kit which gives full control of my iPod, from my stereo, when it's stored safely in the glove box. So long as your A6 is a 1998 - 2004 model the one I have will work.

You can get a steering wheel control added aswell I believe.

I think this is just what you're after, I'm sure you can get hold of it easily enough from KTD UK, where I got everything like the interface and bracket for the glove box and also had it fitted for about £140. I think they sell the interface separately but I can't find it on their website so you may have to give them a call.

It’s certainly worth a look into.

brido
06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I fitted a Dension Gateway 500 ( £275) to my 55 plate A6 avant. Works fine with ipod & usb .I have the colour MMI but I'm sure the new firmware from Dension supports the basic MMI. See firmware history from dension....

GATEWAY 500 MOST FIRMWARE HISTORY:
==================================

Firmware NOW compatible with:
- Audi MOST (A6, S/RS6, A8, S8, Q7) with MMI color and MMI monochrome displays.
- Porsche MOST (Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman, 911, 997) equipped with CDR23/24, PCM I/II,
and PCM II DVD Head Units.
- Mercedes MOST Audio 20, Audio 50, and Comand TEXT capable Head Unit.
- Saab 93 MOST HU’s with front and rear CDC or CDP
- BMW MOST E87/E90/E91 Professional HU exists,
E87/E90/E91/E60/E61/E63/E64/E65/E66 with i-Drive
- MINI(R56)MOST Boost Head Unit

v. 2.03
=======

Modifications:
-------------
- BTA driver: BTA1000 displays call time when call is in progress.

Bug fixes:
---------
- Gateway 500 is not changing the repeat and random settings of the HU after ignition is
turned on, or CDC source is switched back from FM.
- With the newest BMW FWs the GW stacked in loading state. Fixed.
- On some cars the FF/REW buttons didn’t control the GW500 from the steering wheel Fixed.
- USB related: Gateway 500 sorts out empty or corrupt playlists from browser database.
- BTA driver: GW software crashed when SEEKBW was pressed on the setup disk. Fixed.

Known limitations:
-----------------
- On Audis, when switching from GW to CDC or FM the track position is not kept.
- In BMW E87/E90/E91 with Professional HU the browser handles a limited number of
subdirectories only. Firmware update of BMW system is recommended

Known Bugs:
----------
- NONE

Tech. Info:
----------
-

wizbang
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Brido, I'm thinking of getting the Gateway 500 to use with my MMI Basic Plus (Dension have confirmed it works with the monochrome display) and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions before I make my purchase:

- Are you able to rate your ipod tracks while they are playing via the MMI or is this function only available via the iPod interface?

- I have a SatNav and MultiCD. Do you think that there will still be enough room in the glove box to fit the Gateway 500 and iPod too?

- Is it easy to select different playlists and artists through the MMI or are you limited to just the top 6 (I read this on some other forum).

Thanks in advance for your help.

brido
10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi...can't answer your specific ipod questions as I don't own one..I only know it worked when I connected a friend's to try it out. I use a USB stick which allows me to navigate by file, artist, album & song.

Navigating through thousands of songs can be a distraction when your driving so rating tracks while your @ the wheel might not be a good idea.

With regard to fitting...I avoided the glove box option as there were stories of having to make a visit to the dealer to get some reset carried out if you remove the glove box. I opted to fit my Dension in the boot in the cubby on the LHS, which in my Avant houses the amplifier & sat nav DVD. The optic fiber connector is easily removed from the amp & was able to splice into the cable harness to pick up +12V. Also there was plenty of room to house the Dension & mp3 player.

daweller
11-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Can you post a picture of the installation ? and some shots of display options ?

Thanks

wizbang
13-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Brido,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'll need to investigate a bit more before making my purchase as the glovebox is the only option for me.

I hear what you're saying about the safety aspects of rating tracks whilst in the car. I don't want the feature for me. I want it for my passenger as the iPod will be tucked away inside the glove compartment!

Has anyone reading these posts got any first hand experience of using the MMI interface to drive the Dension iPod unit?

hughesy
14-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi, just taken delivery of a 2007 A6 2.7tdi saloon with mmi basic plus and a single cd player in the glove box.

I was hoping that the single CD player would support MP3 cd's but have tried burning them out of roxio toast and straight out of itunes and both options have failed. Can anyone confirm if the single CD player does or does not support MP3 cds?

I am seriously looking at the dension gateway 500 and have read this thread and am wondering whether it would fit in the boot cubby somewhere ,or if it has to go in the glovebox. As I understand it, the dension gateway 500 will work with this mmi basic plus and single cd player but that i may lose the CD in the process- is this correct?

Very frustrated at Audi to be honest, the options of what you can and cannot do with mmi and the factory installed options seems to be a bit of a nightmare.

an thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed

daweller
14-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi,

My local Audi dealer fitted the Dension 500 gateway in my A6 avant, their supply and fit price was reasonable, I think they charged me 1 hours labour plus price of kit.

They fitted in the glove box all works fine.

However be aware that the ipod classic 160gb DOES NOT charge whilst connected. As IPOD have changed the software or connections on the dock

Dension are aware and firmware or craddle update due soon.

I went to local car Hi Fi dealer and they would have charged the same and then I would need to go to the Audi dealer to have MMI software updated.

hughesy
14-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi daweller

Thanks for the quick reply and advice- do you have mmi basic plus?

Sounds like the mmi needs to be reset/updated by audi after an independent installer fits it- may as well go to audi in that case.

The iPod - i have is quite an old one, i think its a 30gb, it has a mono screen its the first U2 special edition- i best check compatibility to be safe (unless anyone here knows?)

daweller
14-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi,

I have MMI high fitted

You can check ipod compatibility on densions web site

Audi fitted whilst car in for service, I dont usually have much praise for main dealers but Audi have been superb so far

D

hughesy
16-11-2007, 09:43 PM
hi

thanks for the reply, will make enquiries, getting fed up with 1 cd and the radio!! I am used to ipod in the car from my last audi.

very unimpressed with my local dealer, they wouldnt arrange a test drive of the car i wanted (which eventually got from elsewhere) passed my a3 sportback mot even with a seriously damaged inside edge to a rear tyre... etc etc...very poor in my opinion

kenwardc
14-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Folks

First post here, so please be gentle! ;)

I'm about to buy a very slightly used (2,200 miles) A6 2.7TDi S Line and am told it has the MMI High but with standard speaker system, i.e. not the BOSE alternative.

Is this half decent or should I be looking at another vehicle?

Cheers
Chris

Hax
15-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Folks

First post here, so please be gentle! ;)

I'm about to buy a very slightly used (2,200 miles) A6 2.7TDi S Line and am told it has the MMI High but with standard speaker system, i.e. not the BOSE alternative.

Is this half decent or should I be looking at another vehicle?

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
I had Bose in my Allroad and unless you are sitting still the road noise and engine noise renders any upgrade useless :(.
I wouldn't pay for the extra again.

Cheers, Hax.

kenwardc
15-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Chris,
I had Bose in my Allroad and unless you are sitting still the road noise and engine noise renders any upgrade useless :(.
I wouldn't pay for the extra again.
Hi Hax

Thanks for the comeback. I took the car out on the road again this morning, armed with one of my disks of MP3s, and it played them perfectly. Not only that, but the sound from the standard system was good enough for me in spades. I definitely don't mind the fact that that the BOSE system is not installed.

Looked for the iPod conector in the cubby but couldn't see it. Any thouhts on where it could be?

Cheers
Chris

nez
15-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to say that I've used one of those transmitter-type iPod connectors (and a high quality one from Kensington for £60 at that!) and I've found it next to useless. Certainly, in the SE England there are too many FM channels competing for space and they hop all over the place between villages and towns so you just get 5 mins of play then you have to retune. Also, the quality is nowhere near as good as a CD or hard-wired iPod - it's less quality than a reasonably strong signal Radio 1 on FM. I now just use it as a charger for my iPhone in my Mazda and have ordered a AMI with my new Audi for delivery in March.

kenwardc
15-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I couldn't agree more, Nez. I used one with TomTom from a PDA and the quality was disgraceful, apart from the fact that on a longer journey we continually had interference from other stations close to the frequency we were using.

paul b
16-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Sort of breaking the mould here but I have the cheapest possible Belkin ipod transmitter and it works perfectly with the Audi Concert II stereo. However, if I put it in an Astra I have with a Sony stereo, its pretty useless. I guess the moral is to use it with a manufacturers stereo.
Paul

angbobian
26-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi JohnPen Re: MP3 i also have the MMi Basic Plus system on my Audi A6 SE 2007 but cant seem to get MP3's to work as it says in manual i have Nero & Roxio what setting are you using to get them to work very much appreciate your help
Ian

angbobian
26-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi JohnPen Re: MP3 i also have the MMi Basic Plus system on my Audi A6 SE 2007 but cant seem to get MP3's to work as it says in manual i have Nero & Roxio what setting are you using to get them to work very much appreciate your help
Ian

jamesmc
24-02-2008, 10:26 PM
It would be far cheaper to just buy an FM transmitter and plug it in to a ciggarette lighter socket... FM transmitters are fairly cheap...

This means that you dont have to upgrade your MMI system...:D

masonj
24-02-2008, 11:37 PM
It would be far cheaper to just buy an FM transmitter and plug it in to a ciggarette lighter socket... FM transmitters are fairly cheap...

The problem is that they are crap. Poor sound and loads of hissing.

paul b
25-02-2008, 12:25 AM

Totally agree with you. As I previously mentioned, that is the way to go. So long as you have a genuine manufacturer's (Audi in this case) stereo.
Paul

jamesmc
25-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Ian

Try using itunes to burn your cds. I have been told that this should work

a627mash
25-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Ian

Hi Ian,re MP3 discs in Audi A6 MMI Basic Plus. I use Roxio and found creating the discs using the Joliet File System format did the trick. In Disc Creator Classic, select Project Properties, General Tab, you should see File System, select the Joliet drop down option and burn them tracks. Happy listening.

Regs

Mash.

jamesmc
26-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I burned a cd off itunes and it works fine in my dads car

billez
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm in the middle of having a Parrot Bluetooth system that 'should' allow me to stream the music from my phone (8Gb mini SD) through the MMI Basic - watch this space!!!

jamesmc
09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
My dad has this parrot and he can stream music through it...:beerchug:

http://www.parrot.com/fr/produits/pdf/all_prods/texte_fck/image/ck3100blackedition.jpg

angbobian
16-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately it only works with the colour MMI High and not the standard mono one (MMI Basic Plus), and all the others only seem to be compatable with A6's before 2005.

To answer this Quote it say quite clearly in my car's manual that it plays MP3 on the (MMI Basic Plus i have taken so long to answer this as i have not been in the country i have tried everything to play MP3

rictic68
26-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I've got a 55 plate A6 saloon with a basic plus monochrome screen. Single disc CD player. I had the Dension 500 installed by my local Audi dealer. This allows me to use my Ipod, Red & White Aux in (can play my old tapes now using my walkman) and a USB.

Everything works fine but you lose most of the extra features that you would have with an MMI High. For example I can only play a track, forward to the next track or reverse via the MMI. I cannot search by artist or anything like that on the MMI. Its really basic.

Of course if someone is sitting in the passeanger seat and can sit there using the ipod themselves then its even better.

The Dension kit was supplied by Audi. However I supplied the Dension BTC1500 blue tooth phone module I bought direct off Dension and Audi plugged it in for me while they were fitting the main 500 module. This works but is a bit clumsy and doesn't seamlessly integrate with the MMI. The car gets a bit confused where the SIM card is.