PDA

View Full Version : Radio only works with strong radio signals

RJS_90q
16-02-2007, 12:00 AM
My girlfriend's car has a problem with its radio reception. The car is an A3 (2002 130Tdi SE). The radio only works with strong (local) radio signals. The CD functions normally.

I'm suspecting the amplifier for the antenae but not entirely sure.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem ? If so, what parts were replaced ?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Boatboy1977
19-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I had this one as well, I had near enough no reception as well. I took it back to the dealers and they new strait away what it was. It wasn't common but it had occured with a few A3's. The rear window heating elements are also the FM Antenna. One of the Elements had cracked in the glass which rendered the FM reception nigh on useless. The actual screen itself was undamaged and it defrosted as normal. New rear windscreen needed and I've had no problems since.
Might be an area to look at,

RJS_90q
20-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for this. I'll have a look at these elements and check them for continuity with a meter - were any of the elements noticeably broken ?

Regards,
Bob

Boatboy1977
20-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Bob,

to be honest, I didn't inspect them. I took the car in and they fitted a new screen within a couple of hours so I didn't get a chance to check. They are quite fine so I don't know how well you would be able to see. But yeah a continuity check hopefully would rule it in or out.

Brgds
Duncan

RJS_90q
20-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks Duncan. I'll check this over the weekend and let you know what I find.
Regards,
Bob

RJS_90q
25-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Flaw in my plan :mad:

The elements are wired in parallel therefore a continuity test will not work as even if an element is broken it will still be continuous as it connects via one of the parallel connections.

Never mind, it was worth a try.