PDA

View Full Version : Misfiresing Audi A$ FSI

Igoodship
16-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Help!!

I have a 2003 Audi A4 2.0lt FSI which has been misfiring. Yesterday I thought I was getting to the bottom of the problem and had convinced myself one of the ignition coils had broken.

Today I went to confirm my thought by starting the car and pulling the ignition coil off each cylinder in turn to establish which one is causing the problem. Now my car won't start.

Any suggestions?. Have I damaged the other coils by doing this or is ther something else going on?

How can I check the coils to see if they are faulty, prior to buying new ones?

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks

Ian G

kite
16-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Get a scan with vagcom.
Have a look in the vagcom section for someone in or area.

Igoodship
16-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for responding.

Put the car on the Diagnostics yesterday and it was showing Fault codes:

Misfires on single/unspecified cylinder

And sometimes

Random/ multiple Cylinder misfires detected P0300 - 008 Implausible signal.

Does this help?

Thanks

Ian G :1zhelp:

kite
16-11-2008, 01:56 PM
You might have more than 1 coilpack gone.

Igoodship
16-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Could I have damaged the coils by pulling them out to check the spark?

Assuming Cylinder 4 is nearest the windscreen. Upon pulling the Coil off the spark plus I could not hear the tell-tail "click" of the spark. I could on the other cylinder at first bur then the "click" also stopped on those cylinders. I'm guessing that why the car will no longer start I fear I may have damaged the oter coils in my ignorance.

could my asctions damage the coils?

Thanks

Ian G :confused:

kite
16-11-2008, 02:55 PM
i don't think you can damage the coils.
try dissconnecting the attery for 10 mins to reset things.

Igoodship
16-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks,

I'll go and try that now and let you know the outcome.

Igoodship
16-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Well,

Disconected the Battery, had lunch, reconected and just the same. Not starting at all.

I can't think what else it could be apart from the coil packs.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Ian G :aargh4:

John Paterson
18-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi - I've had a misfire problem recently with my A3 2.0 fsi. Thought this might interest you?

I too had a faulty coil pack that was replaced but didn't solve the problem.
After several visits to Grimsby Audi they kindly agreed to changed the other three coil packs under warranty.
This didn't solve the problem either!

So, the car went into GY Audi again. This time I spent some time talking through the problem with the master tech.

It turns out that Audi have had so many complaints about misfiring fsi's that they've sent out an internal memo on the subject. The contents of the memo included instructions on how to stop the fsi engine switching between its two modes of operation.
This switching of modes has the same feel as misfire just not as aggresive. By running the engine in one mode only the problem stops. The only downside is a slight increase in fuel consumption.
Well guess what? That was the problem all along!
The three other coil packs were Ok although the first coil pack I had changed was faulty.

Now this might not be what's happening to you at all but I thought it worth sharing.

JP

chipmunk82
10-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Sorry to drag up an old post but it came up in a search, I get a bit of hesitation sometimes and it fluctuates a bit around 2000-3000rpm before settling down higher up the revs, mainly 2nd,3rd and 4th are the most noticeable.
I occasionally get coilpack codes so will change cylinder 2 as it's come up twice in about 4 months but how do you stop the fsi engine switching between two modes?
I always run mine on super unleaded as it's worse with regular unleaded.