PDA

View Full Version : Those damn buttons!

benjie
16-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi guys, been looking for a while and just bought a TDI Sport Quattro. What a bloody car! It's great (Had a MkIV Golf before).
The ONLY thing is that bloody blower/temp buttons, they're really badly worn. I just wondered how to replace them? I've done a search and there's a good long thread about them being worn, but no-one really says how to remove them. Do you just get your fingernail under them and pull or is there a special method?
Equally, do Audi do replacement buttons? Or is a scrappie my best bet?

Cheers in advance!

bez101
16-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi guys, been looking for a while and just bought a TDI Sport Quattro. What a bloody car! It's great (Had a MkIV Golf before).
The ONLY thing is that bloody blower/temp buttons, they're really badly worn. I just wondered how to replace them? I've done a search and there's a good long thread about them being worn, but no-one really says how to remove them. Do you just get your fingernail under them and pull or is there a special method?
Equally, do Audi do replacement buttons? Or is a scrappie my best bet?

Cheers in advance!

u have to take the full unit to bits to replace i asked audi parts and they say they dont sell them i got an old broke unit and swapped them

benjie
16-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Swapped the entire front of the unit, or just the buttons?

coolio
19-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I also came from a Golf Mk4 :D And I too had worn/bubbled buttons. I understand that if its part of the aircon unit you may have to replace the whole thing :o

Mine was the button to the right of the ESP button and I got a spare from my local dealership parts for a couple of quid.

benjie
19-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Cheers for the replies guys, having read a bit more I think I do need to change the whole thing... That's a bit of a bugger isn't it? I've been looking on ebay and they're going for silly money, may go to a scrap yard and pop the buttons off!

benjie
20-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Just got an entire unit from ebay for £21! That'll do me nicely!

Now, how do I take the whole thing out? Anybody?!!

benjie
22-11-2008, 10:45 PM
All done, looks great, piece of poop!