PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi A8 won't start!

Satty B
16-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi there - wondering if anyone can help/advise.

I have an 05 plate Audi A8 3.0Tdi Quattro multi-tronic which up until a couple of days ago was running absolutely fine. Essentially, when turning the ignition, the DIS displays a message to 'Engage N or P before starting'.........problem is that the car is parked in the driveway in 'P' already but will not start. For some reason it thinks that a gear is engaged when it isn't. :confused:

I've checked all the fuses - they're fine. Have disconnected / reconnected the battery in case that would reset 'something' which didn't. Recent work I've done to the car was to replace the handbrake switch which had snapped. Drove the car after replacing and it was absolutely fine (about one week ago).

Any help on this/advise would be much appreciated. I have located someone who can home visit and run a diagnostic check to get the ball rolling - I just need it mobile again!!

kite
16-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Do you need to have your foot brake on for the car to start ?

Satty B
16-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Nope, just a straight turn of the key to get it going normally. The footbrake sensor itself seems to be ok - I can press the footbrake and release/re-engage the handbrake so that connection seems fine.

kite
16-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Could be a dodgy limiter switch on the selector, try wiggling the selector while turning the key.

dieselman580
16-11-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah i would say the same as above, give that a try

Satty B
16-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I've tried wiggling the selector, hasn't had any effect. Is there some way of over-riding the gearbox to get it physically out of 'P'?

adamss24
16-11-2008, 05:06 PM
You could put it in Neutral and see if it starts there. If it does not start, means that the ECU thinks the car is in gear and wont let the car to start as to not dammage the box. I take it that the battery has a healthy charge and the starter is ok ?

Satty B
16-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Battery is fine at the moment. When I turn the key to position one (pre-start check/glow lamp indicator) and press the brake pedal, I cannot move the gear stick at all. I know that before I could defintely shift the gear stick back into P when the car was off/key in Pos.1, but can't recall if it was possible to push the stick into a different gear without actually starting the car first......?

Satty B
20-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Have had a diagnostic check run this evening. Fault code "P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction"[I] came up which we cleared, after which the car started! :D

Anyone know why this fault may have arisen or what it actually means? If it does relate to a particular sensor/connection it could well happen again (soon) so would be good to understand the root cause.