PDA

View Full Version : 1.9tdi running cool

wilharper2000
15-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I've got an A6 avant with the 115 PD engine (AJM) and the temperature gauge is showing it is running at about 80 degrees instead of the normal 90. The oil temp gauge also is showing about 75-80.

The car seems to warm up fine but when I did a service the other day I noticed that the main engine fan comes on when the car is started and stays on.
Is this right because I thought it was clutched to come on at a certain temperature.

Also, on a different topic the car has been serviced at a local garage for 40,000 miles until recently I found it had been using Magnatec oil in it, which is very inferior to the 505.01 it says in the book. I'm told that this may be damaging to the camshaft and lifters. Has anyone experienced a failure because of this?

Thanks
Will

really wants an RS6
16-02-2007, 09:10 AM
The fan should only come on when the engine is hot,and there is a temp switch for this purpose. If the Magnatec is the correct grade it will be OK, but personally I would put the genuine oil in it next time, plus from GSF or Eurocar Parts it's cheaper than Magnatec anyway.

wilharper2000
16-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Its got the decent Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5w40 in now which meets 505.01.
I first thought the thermostat was going but then realised the car warms up fine.
Are these things easy to fix, all I can think is that the temperature sender is faulty or the clutch is stuck on the fan.

Its going in to have its cambelt service soon, so I'm prob going to ask them to measure the camshaft clearances. If they are bad then, garage has already said it will pay most if not all of the costs.

Will

Alas
21-02-2007, 10:52 PM
There are two fans, one driven by an electric motor, and one driven by a viscous clutch from the auxilary belt. Although the clutch is activated by temperature, there is still some friction when not activated, so it will spin with the engine (just not very forcefully/quickly)....So there may not be a fault...