PDA

View Full Version : Golf rattle, insanity approaching

Chunks
15-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi,

Right, I know this is a longshot but.....

There's a rattle in the front right of my Golf mk4 GTI. It seems to be coming from deep in the dash (maybe further into the bonnet) on the very right hand side past the steering wheel and dials etc... I can hear it whenever the car is sitting idle i.e; low revs. I'm guessing it's because at lower revs sitting still / moving slowly the car would vibrate more?

It's driving me nuts and I need it gone! Anyone ever had similar or know how to locate rattles successfully?http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

Thanks in advance

really wants an RS6
15-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Sorry mate I haven't ever had that problem but I do know how annoying rattles can be, all I can think of offhand is check the top right engine mounting for tightness, you never know.

Chunks
15-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah sure i'll give that a shot and hopefully by the power of deduction eventually get to the root of it.

Where exactly is the top of the engine mount located?

God I hate rattles, I tend to fixate on them til they push me over the edge :aargh4:

Sam
15-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Describe the type of rattle. Is it metal on metal, plastic on metal etc?

Chunks
15-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Describe the type of rattle. Is it metal on metal, plastic on metal etc?

hmmmm, if I were to describe it I would say that it definitely isn't metal on metal, that would be a sharp clangy sound.

It must be something like metal on plastic or plastic on plastic.....It's defintely inside the dash if not deeper.

sorry but it's kinda hard to picture/hear in my head really. It's very similar to your everyday rattles you'd find in your cars, however, this one is closer to me cos it comes from near / beside the steering wheel so it's more noticeable.

NicholasP
15-02-2007, 05:54 PM
my front right windscreen wiper used to rattle on my front windscreen at idle. It drove me nuts.

The annoying things about rattles is when you know they're there, your eats automatically tune into the sound range of the rattle and it ends up driving you up the wall!

Good luck finding it...:Blush:

MalcQV
16-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Don't often drive mine with the Radio/CD off. It has a annoying rattle from the back seat. Checked headrests seat belt buckles to no avail.

When my daughter is sat in the back behind the passenger seat it goes away :zx11::zx11::zx11:

Sam
16-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Don't often drive mine with the Radio/CD off. It has a annoying rattle from the back seat. Checked headrests seat belt buckles to no avail.

When my daughter is sat in the back behind the passenger seat it goes away :zx11::zx11::zx11:

It's either the seat belt rattling on the door or the two seat belt buckles knocking together. Took me 4 months to track that rattle down.

MalcQV
16-02-2007, 02:07 PM
It's either the seat belt rattling on the door or the two seat belt buckles knocking together. Took me 4 months to track that rattle down.

Cheers. I wondered whether anyone had got/had the same problem. I put a bit of soft paper between the buckles temporarily to see if that stops the rattle. Did it in the car park this morn before I went into the office so will see tonight on the way home.
If that does not stop it I will check the seat belt on the door.

Thanks again :beerchug: