PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cleaning the carpets?

Raoul_Duke
13-11-2008, 11:50 PM
My S-line has those standard carpets/mats, they seem to clip into place. What is the best way to clean these?

Would you be able to unclip them and stick em in the washing machine or would that destroy them?

While I'm at it, any tips for cleaning other parts of the car? good products you use for interior, alloys, black grille, etc.

satsu
14-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I usually just get the carpets out and run the dyson over them a few times. If they're really mucky I might take a shampooer to them but I wouldn't put them in the washer - don't think they would survive. If it's a stain you might want to try the vanish spray - we use this in the house for hairball removal and it's very effective. :)

I do like the way the gloss black grille looks but it's a sod to get clean and then dried without watermarks. The wheels are the same - it depends whether I have the enthusiasm to clean them once then roll the car forward a couple of feet to get to the rest of them.

I use a set of e-cloth car cleaning cloths. There's a fairly heavy cleaning mitt to do the first clean all over, then a chamois to do most of the drying and the glass (inside and out if I can be bothered). Finally there's a nice absorbent polishing cloth to get rid of the last bits of water on things like the grille.

They're all microfibre cloths, so they're great at removing bug splats, tar spots and the like. They don't need a lot of soap and you can just chuck them in the washer when done.

Available online from e-cloths themselves or many other shops. We've used this one a few times and had no problems:
http://www.ecotopia.co.uk/product/46/bb0174/e-cloth-car-cleaning-pack.html

mkc
14-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I know I keep on about these products but they really are great:

My wash routine (includes)

First of all bin any chamois or sponges you have.

1) Rinse with hose.
2) Use snowfoam and Maxi Suds in a spray gun attached to a hose. Include the wheels here and wheel arches. It should look like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVW1iyymmFk
3) Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes and rinse with hose
4) Wash with Maxi Suds and Sheeps mitt, two bucket method of course.
5) Rinse again
6) Dry with a microfibre-drying-towel Just open it up and lay across the car and then lift off.
7) Perhaps use some clay at this stage to remove any marks.
8) CarLack
9)2 rounds of Collonite

Ive added more layers of wax and sealent for the winter but in the summer (if its dryish) Ill use poorboys-nattys-paste-wax-blue

Ensure you get a top layer wax that is suitable for the colour of your car.

For thw wheels I suggest you seal as soon as possible with chemical-guys-wheel-guard.
With these wheel guards you wil find that the break dust and grime just floats off the surface. Ive not cleaned my wheels with any shampoo this year. Just some warm water and a wash mitt to get in the edges of the wheel.

I also keep some baby wipes in the boot for bird poo so I can remove it as soon as I see it, I also use these on the engine bay parts (black plastic bits)

Ensure you have plenty pf microfibre cloths and good applicators for the wax. Use different cloths for application and removal of the wax, anything goes on the floor but it to one side to be washed. I never tumble dry my cloths as these makes them go hard and they loose their effect I feel.

These are some of the products in my garage, I have OCD and there is more than one way to clean your car! Following something like this should ensure your car is free from those nasty swirl marks and scratches made by sponges and chamois

A1287210
14-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Were you referring to a foam lance used in conjunction with a hose? I am looking to use snow foam but have no pressure washer. Can they we connected?

Is this an alternative to Sprayaway ?? I'm just looking at the cheapest option, my concern is that the pressure in my hose is not great ;)......

Damo

mkc
14-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I use my hose from the outside tap as the pressure is really good. There are various pressure washes and attachments so it all depends on what equipment you have already to be honest

I prefer not to use a jet spray power washer as sometimes the power can cause marks on the car or cause winter debris to shoot across the surface creating marks anyway. Use some thing like the Gilmour II and a hose.