PDA

View Full Version : Rear Number Plate Light Not Working Failed Mot

cfc999
13-11-2008, 03:54 PM
My 1999 passat tdi has failed it mot because the rear number plate lights are not working.Tried the obvious ie. new bulbs and checked fuses ,but with no joy.Anyone had the same problem.Thanks Chris.

mwvw
14-11-2008, 01:51 PM
It may be a build up of corrosion on the tags that the lamps fit into. When the lights went out on the Passat a quick clean metal ends of the lamps and the tags and all back working ok.
Also put some vasaline on the connections to hopefully slow down any corrosion, which seems to occur due to moisture in the air not to any leaks.

caldirun
14-11-2008, 09:11 PM
It may be a build up of corrosion on the tags that the lamps fit into. When the lights went out on the Passat a quick clean metal ends of the lamps and the tags and all back working ok.
Also put some vasaline on the connections to hopefully slow down any corrosion, which seems to occur due to moisture in the air not to any leaks.
I checked mine then took it for MOT, it failed on the damn No. plate lamps. Take the 2 screws out and removed the unit, check for green deposits (copper corrosion is green), clean and apply the petroleum jelly (generic will do!). Then address the real problem, your boot sealing stip is porous and water is running inside and into the lamp housings, get some silicone grease and rub it into the strip, job done!
I must agree with the "These cars are for indoor use only" sentiment

markski
20-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Mine was in the garage for the oil level sensor, the guy in the garage had great pleasure in telling me I needed the bar that the number plate lights attached to. not a problem until he said it would cot £95.00. Do you think re greasing the seals and cleaning the lights will work???

cazyp
20-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I needed the new lamp hosings and I have rust appearing around the numberplate light fittings on my 53 plate. Am going to see if the anti corrosion warranty applies..

cfc999
21-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Turned out to be broken connection where the wires pass from the car shell into the boot lid.This is a very common fault apparently.

markski
26-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I needed the new lamp hosings and I have rust appearing around the numberplate light fittings on my 53 plate. Am going to see if the anti corrosion warranty applies..

Hi How long is warranty? mine has same symptoms, let me know how you get on. Regards

cazyp
26-01-2009, 09:52 PM
10 years I believe. Haven't got around to it yet but will this week. Give them a ring @ VWUK.

markski
26-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks, think I was saying earlier about the cost of replacing numberplate light housing. I have contacted a breakers yard, easy to remove and easy to fit whole job cot 5 quid, not 75 quoted by indi garage. PS I re greased seals in rear lights and boot seal with silcone grease. Good luch with warranty claim

Mark