PDA

View Full Version : B8 TDi 170 Fuel Economy

JohnH
12-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere....

I currently drive a 2007 B7 Avant TDi (PD) 170 and am about to order a replacement lease car.

Naturally I'm considering a B8 Avant and would probably wish for the same engine output.

I've been pretty disappointed by my 170 TDi PD's fuel economy (low 40s mpg) and before a recent ECU update it wasn't the most pleasant engine to drive either.

However - I understand that the new TDi is common rail and much more refined (at least).

What sort of fuel economy are you getting ?

I'll probably go for FWD rather than quattro because of the CO2 but I'm interested in quattro too as I'd have it if the fuel/CO2 penalty proves resonable, this is against a background of HMRC approved mileage rates which group a sub 2.0l 170ps diesel with a 1.4l diesel.....

jakerade
22-11-2008, 10:57 AM
getting low 40's on mine at the moment but its only done 2000 miles - i do seem to be putting less fuel in than the old B7 140Tdi i had and the engine is a lot more refined and doesnt sound like a tractor!

JohnH
24-11-2008, 10:04 AM
getting low 40's on mine at the moment but its only done 2000 miles - i do seem to be putting less fuel in than the old B7 140Tdi i had and the engine is a lot more refined and doesnt sound like a tractor!

Thanks for the reply.

I've just had a 170TDi S-line on a 2 day test drive and the engine is transformed - from tractor to being hardly able to tell it's a diesel ! It may have lost some of it's 'oomph' (is that a word) but this might just be down to a more civilised / linear power delivery ?

As for economy - in my short (200 mile) use it seemed about 10% up on my 170TDi PD - which is useful, possibly still short of a BMW 320d I suspect though ?

The car is improved in pretty much every area over the B7 but I have to admit to extreme irritation that cruise control and a glovebox light are now optional extras - on a near £30K car ?

jakerade
24-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi

Cruise wasnt standard on my old s-line - i know audi went through a phase of bundling various options though. A locking glove box is also now an option.

If you want sat-nav you need to order with it as its virtually impossible to retro fit now. Also AMI is very expensive to add later.

I went for the piano black trim and silver stitching and i'm really pleased - my old s-line had a bit too much silver trim for my liking.

Jake

jonathon555
24-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've just had a 170TDi S-line on a 2 day test drive and the engine is transformed - from tractor to being hardly able to tell it's a diesel ! It may have lost some of it's 'oomph' (is that a word) but this might just be down to a more civilised / linear power delivery ?

As for economy - in my short (200 mile) use it seemed about 10% up on my 170TDi PD - which is useful, possibly still short of a BMW 320d I suspect though ?

The car is improved in pretty much every area over the B7 but I have to admit to extreme irritation that cruise control and a glovebox light are now optional extras - on a near £30K car ?

you have pm