PDA

View Full Version : A6 2.7 T Bi-turbo _____ Help!!!!

vrcorrado
14-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Can I have any ideas and opinions reguarding a blown turbo in a A6 2.7 T?

I seem to get conflicting advice depending on who I ask.

If only one turbo has gone, do I need to replace the pair? I'm on a very tight budget.

I am told replacing the turbos is a engine out job? Is this the case and if so anybody got any idea / experience of the costs?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas, Stuart

really wants an RS6
14-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi mate, you can replace just one turbo as long as it is the same type of turbo but as for can you do it with the engine in, I just don't know, sorry.

gazza57
15-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry to spoil things vrcorrado but I seem to recall this question being asked before and the general opinion was that they have to be replaced in pairs, I just can't remember why. Any way you look at it though it's an engine out job, therefore you'd probably be best getting a good independent garage to quote you for the work.
It's a bit of a false economy to replace just one and could really hurt your wallet especially if you pay to have just one replaced and then the other fails soon after.
In my experience, a turbo only fails if it's had a hard life and booted hard or if it has had poor oil feed or wrong oil in.
Poor oil feed could be due to infrequent oil changes causing sludge build up. The two turbos are fed with pressurised oil from the main oil gallery via a distributor tee piece, and returned directly to the oil sump. I would strongly advise you to make sure this distributor piece and the turbo oil feed lines are removed and cleaned prior to turbo replacement. That may be what caused the turbo to fall over in the first place.
If it's had the wrong oil in and got too hot, the oil may lose it's lubricating properties and bingo a seized/knackered turbo.
I know it's not too good news for your wallet but I hope this helps.
Regards Gazza57

really wants an RS6
15-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Will the turbo not come out of the bottom coz I'm almost ( but not 100%) sure that where I worked changed one and it came out of the bottom, but like I say I'm not 100% sure.

gazza57
16-02-2007, 09:22 AM
really wants an RS6,
you may be right, I assumed that from what vrcorrado said it had to be an engine out, but if you can get it out from underneath so much the better.
I would still replace both turbos though, the boost pressure on the new one must be higher than the one thats in there, so you're going to end up with uneven fuel/air delivery to each side of the engine.
The oil lines though are mega important, they are quite small bore and can get sludged up if the oil hasn't been changed often enough.
The oil I use is Castrol Edge, it ain't cheap £42.99 4 Litres but it's worth it and I change it as soon as it's due every time.
Gazza57

really wants an RS6
16-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I think your's is the safer option Gazza, but I wouldn't want the bill

giblets
28-02-2007, 11:48 AM
really wants an RS6,
you may be right, I assumed that from what vrcorrado said it had to be an engine out, but if you can get it out from underneath so much the better.
I would still replace both turbos though, the boost pressure on the new one must be higher than the one thats in there, so you're going to end up with uneven fuel/air delivery to each side of the engine.
The oil lines though are mega important, they are quite small bore and can get sludged up if the oil hasn't been changed often enough.
The oil I use is Castrol Edge, it ain't cheap £42.99 4 Litres but it's worth it and I change it as soon as it's due every time.
Gazza57

As a matter of interest, if you are going to have to replace both turbos, and this is going to be VERY expensive, think about going for K04 turbos instead - it might cost you another grand, but it will add another (ANOTHER!) 250bhp to the bottom line. That's 500bhp buddy!

gazza57
28-02-2007, 01:28 PM
As a matter of interest, if you are going to have to replace both turbos, and this is going to be VERY expensive, think about going for K04 turbos instead - it might cost you another grand, but it will add another (ANOTHER!) 250bhp to the bottom line. That's 500bhp buddy!
You forgot to factor in the extra insurance premium and the extra fuel, think you could add another £1500 on top every year!
Very nice 500bhp but also hard on tyres and of course brakes!
Gazza 57

giblets
28-02-2007, 02:51 PM
You forgot to factor in the extra insurance premium and the extra fuel, think you could add another £1500 on top every year!
Very nice 500bhp but also hard on tyres and of course brakes!
Gazza 57

Yeah, sad but true. However, I've gone from pipe dream to collecting the dosh to make it so Dr Spock. See my other posts on the matter as I'm trying to get advice on parts for my cunning plan mwahahaha!