PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with taking out ignition key?

brantome
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Had my new A4 2.0TDi SE for a couple of weeks and, from time to time but more of late, I'm finding the ignition key reluctant to come out when I stop. Anything obviously stupid I'm not doing?

mkc
12-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Nope mine does this too. Pull up, neutral, push the key fob in to eject and it comes out slightly, enough to turn the ignition and electrics off but the fob will not come out. Sometimes pushing it in and then out again ejects it. Othertimes I have to actual depress the clutch to start the car again before it will come out. annoying but only does it a few times week. Someone else mentioned on here too

BMWBig6
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Other forums indicate that there is a couple second delay before the key is actually released after turning off the ignition. Something about pushing in to release too (not just pulling straight out)?

Dans
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I had this issue. Then a colleague demonstrated to me how it should be done and I have never had a problem since!

After waiting a second or two, simply be gentle. Press the key in with no great force, but not with an over light touch, and then gently with your index finger and thumb pull it out!

Hey presto.

Amazed it was so easy and now cannot understand how I was getting it stuck all the time.

cressers
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah push and let spring out, then grab and remove.

If you try to push and remove in one go, it will stick.

Push, let go, wait for click noise. remove.

brantome
12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take note and give it a few more tries!

Audi Nick
14-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Bring back a key you just push in and turn and when you are finished, turn and pull.

No problems, no hassle and no waiting for Christmas to see if the car will be kind enough to let you have your key back!

Mines wearing too, I wonder how long it will take before I will need a new one!

conman
14-11-2008, 09:42 PM
it's a real shame that audi can't do a keyless ignition system,the japs manage to do it,a new model and such a missed opportunity.

2.7 S-line
14-11-2008, 11:17 PM
it's a real shame that audi can't do a keyless ignition system,the japs manage to do it,a new model and such a missed opportunity.
they do , sort of , there is a key transponder but it stays in your pocket - got it on my car , just push the engine start/stop button and away you go - also gives you keyless entry

conman
14-11-2008, 11:28 PM
is that a cost option,if so what is the cost.

2.7 S-line
14-11-2008, 11:37 PM
yes cost option think it was approx £400 - for me well worth it

just walk up to the car (keys in pocket/bag) reach out for a door handle and as you touch it the door unlocks (can also set all doors to unlock at the same time if you wish +/- boot)

you can also set the boot to stay locked so it will only open when you touch the boot release with the key on your person (very handy if you carry expensive gear around)

start and stop the car with a starter button (only works if a key transponder is in the vehicle)

to lock the car you just touch a sensor on the door - wont lock if you've left your keys in the car

all in all a very secure and well thought out system - after using it for several months now i can't think of a single improvement that could be made to it - would 100% recommend it , really helps to make the car special - though you sort of expect other things to unlock as you reach out for them like front doors - a bit disconcerting for a while :D

conman
14-11-2008, 11:48 PM
alot extra though when the japs give it as standard.

a8 tech
14-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Advanced key is very good but limited to mmi versions
Anyway some info for the basics of the new key and i hae only found operater errors for your complaint

The new Audi A5/A4 features an all-new key concept. Instead of the turning movement of the ignition key in the
ignition lock, the vehicle is now started by a push movement of the key in the ignition lock. No button operated
folding key is needed
Tasks of the ignition key:
Push-actuation of various microswitches in the ignition lock. The microswitches are read in by convenience
system control unit J393. The J393 generates the actual terminal status from these signals.
Sending radio signals for operation of the central locking system
Storing data required by the immobiliser
Storing vehicle data for the "Audi Service Key" function
Locating the current key position by means of signals from the entry and start authorisation aerials
Includes a mechanical emergency key
IGNITION KEY REMOVAL
The ignition key is locked mechanically when the
key is inserted into the electronic ignition lock in
such a way that it can no longer be removed by the
driver.
The key is released as soon as the ignition is turned
off. This happens as follows: an electrical current is
applied to a lift magnet, releasing the ignition key.
The lift magnet is seated in the electronic ignition
lock, and is energised directly by the convenience
system central control unit J393.
Depending on gearbox type, there is one more condition
for release of the key:
In models with automatic gearbox:
the selector lever must be in the "P" position
In models with manual gearbox:
the vehicle must be stationary.
If the vehicle can is unable to energise the lift magnet
of the ignition key removal lock due to a technical
fault and if the key is currently inserted in the
ignition lock, the key will remain engaged in the
ignition lock. To be able to lock the vehicle despite
this, a mechanical emergency key with bit can be
removed from the ignition key.
The emergency key is integrated in the ignition key
and can be used for locking the central locking system
via the mechanical lock in the driver's door
The mechanical emergency key can be used for opening the vehicle via the mechanical lock in the driver's
door if the vehicle cannot be opened by radio remote control. The same key is also used for deactivating the
front passenger airbag.
The electronic ignition lock E415 has a microswitch
for a normally open contact which connects to
earth when the key is inserted in the ignition lock.
The microswitch is read in directly by the convenience
The "key pressed" position is read in by three microswitches.
All three microswitches connect to earth
when key in the ignition lock is pressed. The
switches are also read in directly by the convenience
In the event of a fault, and if for example only 2 of
the 3 microswitches connect to earth when the ignition
key is pressed, it is decided by the majority
principle. In this case, the system would decide "key
pressed". However, as feedback is not provided by
all three microswitches, but only by two, a fault is
registered and a warning is indicated

conman
15-11-2008, 12:03 AM
just from the point of veiw as a punter,is there any advantage putting a key in the dash sooner than the conventional steering column.

a8 tech
15-11-2008, 12:09 AM
The key also has diagnostic memory and service memory but the key reader isn't available in the uk yet.As for its advantages over the normal type key then i couldn't say as i prefer to turn a key than stick it in a toaster and i to find the operation of the new set up irritating at first but i have got used to it but i still go to put the a6 key into the drivers side of the steering column.Doh

conman
15-11-2008, 12:17 AM
the full keyless system sounds great,but you say it is only availableon multi media specified model's,is that correct?

2.7 S-line
19-11-2008, 11:15 PM
i have seen it fitted on a car without satnav if thats what you're worried about

not quite sure what the only on mmi versions A8tech refers to is ?

do the basic non se cars come without mmi interface on the stereo ??

a8 tech
19-11-2008, 11:20 PM
mmi has always been most bus network with the the control panel around the gear stick however b8 a4 and a5 have mmi and generation three radio with a display screen that appears to be mmi but its not true mmi.Anyway kessy has always been fitted to fully loaded models and i haven't come across a generation 3 radio variant with kessy (keyless entry).

original mmi from A84370

generation 3 radio4372
I will keep look out for advanced key or as I'm used to calling it kessy is fitted to generation 3 variants i no its splitting hairs but calling generation 3 radio mmi is like swearing at me because its technically not although it is multi media interface.You no what i mean lol

nickhx
21-11-2008, 04:00 PM
This issue can be fixed by getting a software update to the engine management system from your dealer, which should be done under warranty. Apparently it happens in earlier versions of the B8.

Worthy1
23-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I just had mine back in after 3000 miles of constant problems removing the key !.
The Audi dealer said it needed a new part (like they do) and it took 2 days to sort it.
Within a couple of days I am back to square one with the key not releasing.

It is obvious that there is an inherent design problem with this system.
Audi should offer a recall to provide a more reliable and user friendly keyless system.
Otherwise I will be making a nuisance of mysely until they do !!:mad:

brantome
23-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, since I took the advice of the forum and waiting just a tad - the briefest second or so - after bouncing the key in before pulling out, I've had no problems at all....

a8 tech
23-11-2008, 11:35 PM
That's because you need to wait 200 milliseconds for the internal magnet to allow the key torelease and if you try before that time the key will be held.Bloody hell stop moaning and read you owners handbooks lol

Gazoz01
02-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Never had a problem with mine, except a couple of occasions when I was doing it wrong. Still can't break the habit of trying to insert a key in the column even after six months. :biglaugh:

Marshy06
30-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Had my new A4 2.0TDi SE for a couple of weeks and, from time to time but more of late, I'm finding the ignition key reluctant to come out when I stop. Anything obviously stupid I'm not doing?
I've had my 2.0 diesel for 2 weeks too and I'm having to get used to this key fob. Make sure you press the fob in to turn the engine off and then just pull it out - it should come out without getting stuck.
The problem I have with it is that it doesn't start every time. Sometimes I push the clutch in and press and nothing happens. The main dealer says it's OK but I'm not happy with it. Does this happen to you?

andyrp
30-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I've had my 2.0 diesel for 2 weeks too and I'm having to get used to this key fob. Make sure you press the fob in to turn the engine off and then just pull it out - it should come out without getting stuck.
The problem I have with it is that it doesn't start every time. Sometimes I push the clutch in and press and nothing happens. The main dealer says it's OK but I'm not happy with it. Does this happen to you?

I have this but I think it is me rather than the car. I think if you release the clutch even slightly then the starting sequence has to be repeated.