PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.9 TDI Loss of power, Smoke and interior misting

TDI
14-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello every1. First of all im new here and this is my first audi (engine code AHU) 1997 A4 1.9TDI

i have 2 problems

1. When i accelerate in second gear i can feel the turbo coming and going at abt 2500rpm and then you also see alot of somke in your rear view mirror. you can feel the car losing power.

This morning when i was driving i t felt as though i lost the turbo and the car was VERY slow at accelerating but at this momt the smoke problem was gone.

When i restarted the car to get back home from uni, the turbo was back and so was the smoke. It would be great if someone can help. I know people mention the MAF sensor but i dont know where its located.

2. The interior mists up and no matter what i do, the misting doesnt go away unless i stop completely and then it takes abt 5 mins for it to clear. Is this common on A4's? if not then is there any cure for it?

Thanks
Hopefully someone can help me here

onzarob
16-02-2007, 03:16 PM
You are right to suspect the mAF as its classic symtoms, it's located just passed the air filter and has a cable comming out of it.

For the misting check the pollen filter hosining is clear and dry, also check to see if the passenger footwell is also dry. maybe blocked drain holes under the battery tray.

Rob:D

TDI
22-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Hello, Cheers

Found the smoke and power loss problem, it was a spilt pipe that goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold of the engine. seemed fine from above but it was cracked from the bottom. Replaced it, Car runs like dream now with NO smoke and no honks or headlight flashes from the back lol.

As for misting problem im afraid i have replaced the pollen filter and its still there :-(. Any more suggestions???? Footwells are dry, and what effect will the blocked drain holes under the battery have on misting???

onzarob
22-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Gald you fixed it, I have to check mine now.

On the misting front i read that one owner had a small hole in the heater matrix, but you say the carpets are dry!!!

:dunno:

Rob:D

I_am_stealth
13-11-2007, 10:50 AM
What year is your car?
I am trying to work out if you have a similar "climatronic" system to mine.
If you have the holes under the battery blocked, you will find out very soon with this weather ;)
If you don't see water there, you are fine. I would imagine that is difficult, not impossible to get more humid air getting inside your car.
Does your car have aircon? Do you feel hot air coming out from the heater? Are you sure you have it on the right setting to direct the air where you want it? If you use the "recirculate" function in your aircon, that might "behave" exactly the way you describe it..