PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wipers

jbwn
11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
The wipers on my car are a problem:

1: even if they are switched on in intermittant mode when the car is started, they will not function unless i turn them off and back on again

2: the periodic wipe in poor weather, but not really raining, is so poor that i have to keep using a manual wipe to see clearly

Is this the same on other cars? is there a fix?

eko
12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi Jbwn

Point 1
This is correct. On the Bora I used to drive occasionally with auto wipers after switching off the engine I always had to switch off the wipers and than switch them on again to make them work in auto mode. I was told by the dealer that this is the correct operation.

Point 2
It is possible that the windscreen or the wiper blades are greasy? It might be worth cleaning the wiper blades with a cloth soaked in vinegar or screen wash. (The vinegar thing I have seen on the TV when an RAC man was showing basic car maintenance).

I hope this helps.

Ed

JohnH
25-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Not sure if it's too late to answer your question ?

On my Audi I find the auto wipers behave pretty much as you describe, I've a feeling that the manual even mentions the switching on again after starting the car to 'reset' them.

I too find that I often need to use the 'flick wipe' function because the sensor seems oblivious to the rain spattered screen....

snapdragon
09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't believe the Phaeton also has this rubbish system that my Passat has. Even an R-reg Peugeot 306 which we had 10 years ago had better rain sensitive wipers that would just come on by themselves when the first drips fell. :mad::zx11::(:confused:

MadMacStew
29-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I can't speak for others, but the rain-sensitive function seems to be fine on my '56 plate 3.0TDI, although I generally have it on the second intermittent setting, rather than the lowest. Agreed that you do have to reset the intermittent function after switching off the ignition.

aviationkid
11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
a

netherfield
17-07-2009, 12:45 PM
ping