PDA

View Full Version : under whelmed by 2.0T

law4778
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
had my s line 2.0T for about a month now, its only done 600 miles and im feeling a little dissapointed, i didnt have a test drive when i ordered it but thought it would be ok, was i wrong in expecting golf gti performance cause reading the figures i thought i was getting better than this, please someone tell me it will get better in another couple of thousand miles, i ve got this car for the next 5 years, as a car i do really like it and am impressed also love the feel of not driving a run of the mill rep mobile, you do get quite a few glances which is nice.

mkc
11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Ive got the 1.8T 160 version which you will be glad to know improved over a 1000 miles or so. I followed the handbook guidance about running in and its had nothing but Shell V Power or Tesco's 99RON poured down her neck.

It feels a lot quicker than the Audi figures suggest. So, I would suggest that yours will get much better over time.

VanWheeler
11-11-2008, 10:42 AM
You could consider an ST3 unit this will liven it up a bit and still give you the option to put the car back to standard.

Thanks, Mark

motechmike
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
As above a re-map would help lol..

But on them car's you should always use 97+ ron... that will help with the responce and pick up of the car..

Thanks Mike

blackcurrent
11-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I know im being well blonde, but I reas the handbook and it said to use 95 Premium Unleaded and was a little unsure about using the Super Unleaded 99 stuff... so It's ok is it? and what are the benefits of paying the extra few pence?

Thanks

mkc
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Shell say...... Might be marketing Gumpf but I can feel a difference

What makes Shell V-Power so effective for your engine.

So why put Shell V-Power in your tank? Its unique and advanced formulation has several key components each of which is designed to help petrol engines perform at their best. Powerful engine cleaning technology is designed to remove engine deposits for more effective combustion, and Friction Modification Technology (FMT) is formulated to help reduce friction for better responsiveness. Shell V-Power's high, 99 RON, octane is designed to provide further benefits in power and performance in many modern cars.
Powerful cleaning
While driving, deposits can develop around a car engine’s inlet valves, impeding the air flow and reducing power. Shell V-Power is designed to reduce the build-up of deposits and help remove existing ones, enabling the fuel to burn more effectively. This effective deposit control can help keep a new engine running like new for longer. Shell V-Power can also help rejuvenate older engines.
Friction Modification Technology
Shell V-Power also contains our Friction Modification Technology (FMT), whose special components are designed to coat the cylinder wall. Friction reduction between the cylinder wall and the piston inside the engine helps to increase the total energy delivered to the wheels, to aid overall driving performance.
High Octane
Shell V-Power is a high octane unleaded petrol (99 RON). This enhanced octane rating is designed to help provide improvements in power delivery and to help drivers achieve maximum performance from octane responsive engines. And even vehicles designed for standard octane levels may benefit.

Plife
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Shell say...... Might be marketing Gumpf but I can feel a difference

What makes Shell V-Power so effective for your engine.

So why put Shell V-Power in your tank? Its unique and advanced formulation has several key components each of which is designed to help petrol engines perform at their best. Powerful engine cleaning technology is designed to remove engine deposits for more effective combustion, and Friction Modification Technology (FMT) is formulated to help reduce friction for better responsiveness. Shell V-Power's high, 99 RON, octane is designed to provide further benefits in power and performance in many modern cars.
Powerful cleaning
While driving, deposits can develop around a car engine’s inlet valves, impeding the air flow and reducing power. Shell V-Power is designed to reduce the build-up of deposits and help remove existing ones, enabling the fuel to burn more effectively. This effective deposit control can help keep a new engine running like new for longer. Shell V-Power can also help rejuvenate older engines.
Friction Modification Technology
Shell V-Power also contains our Friction Modification Technology (FMT), whose special components are designed to coat the cylinder wall. Friction reduction between the cylinder wall and the piston inside the engine helps to increase the total energy delivered to the wheels, to aid overall driving performance.
High Octane
Shell V-Power is a high octane unleaded petrol (99 RON). This enhanced octane rating is designed to help provide improvements in power delivery and to help drivers achieve maximum performance from octane responsive engines. And even vehicles designed for standard octane levels may benefit.
I have always wondered if it makes any difference. I reckon I will stick to shell optimax when I get mine. I did on my last car.....only ever put optimax in.

dod1e
11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
at the end of the day, unless your car specifically needs it then its up to you to decide if you can feel enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost.

The higher octane rating is only really required for higher compression engines, and that doesnt apply if your manual says 95 RON is sufficient.

The inlet valve cleaning properties wont really work propperly in a direct injection engine either, which i have a feeling this is, but migth be wrong) as the fuel doesnt flow over the inlet valves.

So the chances are that any noticable difference in that engine are down to the combination of the friction reducing effects and maybe a cleaner burn, so its up to you to try it and decide if its worth it.

ashleyminors
11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I was a little disappointed with the performance of the 2.0T on the test drive.

Coming from a 1.8T (163bhp) I was expecting much better performance. I also compared the A4 figures with the Golf GTI etc and was therefore expecting a more exciting drive.

I think the power delivery is however very deceptive. As its a smoother engine and probably a smoother overall ride, you don't feel as if you are accelerating/travelling as fast. Thats my view anyway.

Mine should be delivered on Friday so I'll report back!

mr109
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I have a B7 2.0T Avant, 7.6 to 60 and have never felt short of power.

I find it really responds well to some revs and although there's plenty of pull low down it comes alive abive 3krp.

I'm picking up a new 58 sline saloon 2.0T on Monday and am hoping for better performance than I get now.

I would anticipate ashley being right and the smoothness / size of the car being deceptive.

Al

motechmike
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
The ECU sees the higher ron fuel in and will speed up the timming etc..

We have seen as much a 10hp on cars that have been mapped..

Any turbo charged car will run better for it...

And the cost over a tank full is so small any one wanting the best from there car should use this....

Mike

B8 TDI
11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
The B8 is deceptive in its smoothness, what feels slow and steady inside is actually fast and intense outside, but if your using 95 ron then yuo should expect poor performance, the handbook states minimum 95 ron unless I'm mistaken

dod1e
12-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Having not driven one I can only offer the following comments based on audi's quoted engine specs (350nm from 1500-4200 rpm, 211ps max at 6000 rpm) I would expect the engine to pull very well up to 4200 rpm, and then the torque will drop off. 350 nm @ 4200rpm is around 209hp, so no additional power is generated from there to 6k.

It has the torque of the S3, but is 50hp less, so it should pull like the S3 up to 4200rpm then drop off, so should be good for most drivers as I suspect few people regularly thrash their cars to the red lin all the time, and in this case its probably not worth it. Sounds like it may well be worth the fancy fuel though.

XM640
13-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Hard to guage what any individuals' expectations there are/were on the performance of the B8 A4 2.0T. I though can comment on spending a good hour in a 2.0T quattro (6sp MT) dealer tester recently.

This thing hammered! I took it up a nearby mountain road and could feel all of those 350nm easily flattening the many steep climbs. I was somewhat disappointed with turbo lag evident in the lower gears, but overall was very impressed with the performance.

And I qualify my comments having (until recently) spent 4 yrs driving a big Oz sedan equipped with 5.4l V8, of which is apparently does 0-100km in around 6 secs.

Hmm hope all is well with this car in question ...

k6rff
15-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I've had my 1.8T 160 S line for two months now. As i keep my cars for 5-6 years, I've always followed a strict 4000 mile run in - increasing my demands on the car gradually. It's always paid off.

My new unit was quite stodgy and unresponsive compared with my 2002 B6 but I can notice a difference already as the ECU learns and mating surfaces lap together gently. I'm probably driving a little harder now but the car is starting to feel as good as - possibly better than my last unit.

Having said that, the B6 was probably the best A4 ever

Now all I have to wait for is to get it back from the repairers as yet another myopic Canterbury pensioner drove off without leaving his details on Tuesday. Lucky for me, a sharp eyed onlooker took the details. Pensioners should be kept at least 100 feet from any Audi!

Regards

ashleyminors
29-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I was a little disappointed with the performance of the 2.0T on the test drive.

Coming from a 1.8T (163bhp) I was expecting much better performance. I also compared the A4 figures with the Golf GTI etc and was therefore expecting a more exciting drive.

I think the power delivery is however very deceptive. As its a smoother engine and probably a smoother overall ride, you don't feel as if you are accelerating/travelling as fast. Thats my view anyway.

Mine should be delivered on Friday so I'll report back!

Just to follow up on my previous post, I've had the car for 2 weeks now, covered 1,100 miles and I'm so impressed with the 2.0T engine, despite my reservations from the short test drive. i'm so pleased with the performance compared to my old 1.8T 163.

Despite advances in diesel engines in recent years I definately wanted a petrol engine. For me the 2.0T it is an excellent compromise between reasonable fuel economy and decent performance. Very pleased with my choice.

ashleyminors
29-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Just to follow up on my previous post, I've had the car for 2 weeks now, covered 1,100 miles and I'm so impressed with the 2.0T engine, despite my reservations from the short test drive. i'm so pleased with the performance compared to my old 1.8T 163.

Despite advances in diesel engines in recent years I definately wanted a petrol engine. For me the 2.0T it is an excellent compromise between reasonable fuel economy and decent performance. Very pleased with my choice.

Sorry, just to add one more thing, if you can afford the reduced fuel economy and higher P11D tax rate then definately go for the quattro if you can. 1st and sometimes 2nd gear are pretty useless when driving swiftly in cold or even slightly damp conditions. Looking forward to the summer.

onemanparty
30-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Ive got the 1.8T 160 version which you will be glad to know improved over a 1000 miles or so. I followed the handbook guidance about running in and its had nothing but Shell V Power or Tesco's 99RON poured down her neck

I would have to agreed having owned an A3 2.0T & S3 and one of my work colleagues has an B8 A4 2.0T S-line Manual once over 1000 miles should be fine?