PDA

View Full Version : Could the activated carbon filter and manifold pressure sensor be damaged when a cambelt snaps ?

lucycampbell
10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
The cambelt snapped on my MK5 2.0 FSI 04 golf and resulted in a big bill from VW dealer - cylinder head + water pump etc. The garage also did a service at the same time. On the first long drive 2hours on motorway since the major work, the exhaust emisssions and Traction control warning lights went on. Garage says the car needs a new activated carbon filter and manifold pressure sensor and that I need to pay again.
I don't know what these two things do so I was wondering should they have been checked when all the major work was done or are they completely unrelated to cambelt, cylinder head, water pump ? If they are unrelated is it just chance that they went on the first long journey since the major work was done ?

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I have already spent £2000 on the cambelt etc. repair and don't want to keep paying out for things that should have been fixed in the first job. The car has already gone back in the first few days after I got it back with a strong smell of fuel inside the car - possible loose tube somewhere but garage was very vague but did fix it straight away and didn't charge me ! This is now the 2nd time it has gone back after all the work.
Thanks.