PDA

View Full Version : joechatt

joechatt
09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Octavia 1.9 TDI intermittent coolant loss and heater failure any ideas?
Two year old (06) Octavia elegance- out of warranty owing to mileage (70k).

Almost simultaneously heater/climatronic has become intermittent and does not alway supply warm air, whilst coolant semsor light is intermitently detecting loss of coolant level.

Skoda dealer inspected said nothing wrong with heating when they tried it but today its not working again and car is extremly cold for driver and passengers.
Coolant loss is said to be after pressure testing an internal leakage -either DG coolers(?) , water pump. or cylinder head. This is going to cost!
Any similar esperiences and any ideas what this could be?
Thanks in advance

Crasher
09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Octavia 2’s are notorious for leaking radiators, every single one I do is leaking at both lower corners. One taxi company had seven and all leaked.

greg123
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes to similar experiences, I have one in next week to do a cylinder head rebuild on. Go somewhere to have the coolant chemical 'sniffed' which will tell you if the system is pressurising. You may need a new/2nd hand head as it's a bit of an issue on the PD's. The combustion gasses leaking into the waterways push out coolant and lodge in the heater and head preventing flow of coolant. Typically if you put the heater to max, in this condition when you rev up to 3,000rpm or more for a while some heat comes through as the rpm forces the water pump to push the water round harder and dislodge the air. Typically another symptom of head/gasket failure is that the next day, when cold, there is still pressure in the expansion tank and you get a hiss when taking the cap off. Normally, you get a hiss only when hot, pressure should release overnight as things cool.

Check if it's a failed water pump by (release pressure slowly when the engine is up to temp but not immediately coming off a hard run, eg not too hot) removing the expansion tank cap, removing the top small return pipe to the expansion tank and pointing into the top of the tank. Start the engine and you should have a reasonable and continous flow of water from it pouring into the tank. If you don't, it may be a water pump issue.

Greg.

Octavia 1.9 TDI intermittent coolant loss and heater failure any ideas?
Two year old (06) Octavia elegance- out of warranty owing to mileage (70k).

Almost simultaneously heater/climatronic has become intermittent and does not alway supply warm air, whilst coolant semsor light is intermitently detecting loss of coolant level.

Skoda dealer inspected said nothing wrong with heating when they tried it but today its not working again and car is extremly cold for driver and passengers.
Coolant loss is said to be after pressure testing an internal leakage -either DG coolers(?) , water pump. or cylinder head. This is going to cost!
Any similar esperiences and any ideas what this could be?
Thanks in advance

joechatt
10-11-2008, 03:25 PM
many thanks for the prompt replies Crasher, Greg123. These give me something to work on.
Will make an extra donation to the RBL.

joechatt
25-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi
The dealer has now suggested it the head gasket. Skoda technical services have accpeted the problem is a defect of manufacture and I have been told will foot the bill.
If the gasket is the root of the problem has this created pressure in the cooling system such as to blow the water pump and the radiator? Both dealers have said there was enermous presure in the expeansion bottle such has to force the coolant out of sight even when cold. Once released the coolant level returned.
Any ideas?
:1zhelp:
joe chatt

Crasher
25-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I would be very surprised if it was the head gasket but if they will do it FOC, let them.