PDA

View Full Version : Question Automatic owners: does your parking brake rock & roll?

toff
09-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Hello all,

Unless I know I'm going to be stopping for 30 seconds+ I generally just use the foot brake (whilst leaving the auto box in the D position).

On the odd occasion that I use the P position on the auto box; I find that the car rolls forward a few inches before "bouncing" off the stop position!

Does that make sense to anybody else / does anybody else experience that? After engaging the P position, I've now started to slowly release the foot brake to prevent the bouncing!

Is this normal? The parking brake on my S6 auto didn't seem to operate like this.

Al.

Bugbear
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes it does and its normal. It is, however, something that should not be done as the whole weight of the car is on a small bit in the gearbox called a parking pawl. They can break and are expensive to replace.
Handbrake then Park.................always.

toff
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your reply.

When parking permanently (i.e. not just at traffic lights) I always:

Press the footbrake
Engage the handbrake
Select P onthe auto box
Release the footbrake

It's just at traffic lights that I don't use the handbrake, thanks for your hint.

That raises an interesting question: the highway code says you must apply the handbrake at a stop sign... I wonder if this applies to Autos too, or if engaging the Parking gear counts?

Al.

gjrwilliams82
25-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Flicking the gear selector up from Drive to Park also flicks the reversing lights on as you go through 'R' - good for frightening the old dear who stopped behind you, but little else.

If you need to stop, put the handbrake on.