PDA

View Full Version : Please Help What's the best choice - A3 Sportback sport or Golf GT Sport?

susiemj
08-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello, this is my first post and wondering if you could give some advice!

I am considering buying either an A3 Sportback Sport or a Golf GT Sport both with the same 2.0 TDi 140 engine.

Does anyone have any advice to give please?

Thanks.

ncp
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello, this is my first post and wondering if you could give some advice!

I am considering buying either an A3 Sportback Sport or a Golf GT Sport both with the same 2.0 TDi 140 engine.

Does anyone have any advice to give please?

Thanks.
Not mutch between them however I would go for the Audi since the quality seems to be more consistent the Golf

Rgds

Neil

Jacko7
10-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi all, I have just joined to to get some knowledge on the A3 having spent the weekend having the same dielema susiemj. Having been to local Audi on Sunday we have deceided to go for the A3 Sportback Sport 140 TDI over the golf. Will be looking to pick up a nice 1-2 year old model. Upset at missing out on an excellent private 2.0 SE with many options and only 5,050 miles for £13.5K yesterday - we were next in line to view it. Good luck with your hunt Susie.

Grantwils
11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I was about to buy a new Golf GT 5 door 140bhp but the Mrs made me look at the Audi. No question - went straight for a Sportback Sport S-tronic. Golfs are everywhere and the audi is a bit more prestige. Can't wait to get it.

£1500 deposit and 48 months at £325 inc cruise control. 15k/year. Already spoken to the dealer about doubling the deposit and changing it to an S-line.

Mel Farquar
11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I was about to buy a new Golf GT 5 door 140bhp but the Mrs made me look at the Audi. No question - went straight for a Sportback Sport S-tronic. Golfs are everywhere and the audi is a bit more prestige.

I agree the new vw golf is great and very popular but the new audi a3 is a more prestige car. Me and my husband were torn for a while. It just depends on what you are looking for, both have a lot of positive points as others have mentioned above.

In the future, if car prices happen to be the deciding factor, then try out
http://www.mycarquotes.co.uk/new_prices/volkswagen/golf/
http://www.mycarquotes.co.uk/my_quotes?make=AUDI&range=121&trim=Sport#filterbox

It's quite a good site you get independent info and they have a database of lots of new car dealers. They've got article in the sun which is quite funny and informative- mentions how car dealers are trying to make the best out of the cedit crunch! http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/motors/ken_gibson/article1901705.ece

thatsean
26-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Same dilemma here! I'm a company car driver, and they were both on the list. I went for the A3 - prefer the interior, and feedback from drivers of them is great, although I was really torn for a while! After that it took me another age to choose a colour! Waiting for a delivery date on it now, hope you are happy - whichever you choose!

Janus99
26-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you seen my car that I am selling!
http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24829

Matt S-Line
26-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Go for the A3 - I echo what the others are saying. The A3 Sportback looks gorgeous in any trim/spec, and is a bona fide prestige car. The Golf, on the other hand has been over supplied to contract hire companies, and as a result every big collared rep in the world is driving one.

I have a week old S-Line Sportback, and the ride, handling, interior, build and design are all of the highest quality. You simply don't get this feeling from a Golf I'm afraid!!

Go for Sport spec or higher though - SE just doesn't cut it, and comes with bouncy suspension!

Grantwils
27-11-2008, 01:28 AM
I am looking for something that will do 20'000 miles with just me & my ipod on different roads & 5'000 miles with Mrs, 2 adult passengers, large dog in boot & with reliability & quality/prestige.

I bought the January 2009 issue of WhatCar which reviews the (new) Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 140 SE & BMW 118d ES 5dr & Honda Civic 2.2i-CDTi ES 5dr & (new) VW Golf 2.0TDI 140 SE 5dr. Golf was first then BMW then A3 then Civic.

Apparently the A3 was 'Average in too many areas'.

Considering I'm looking for something that will do 20'000 miles with just me & my ipod on different roads & 5'000 miles with Mrs, 2 adult passengers, large dog in boot & with reliability & quality/prestige - I think I've got the best all rounder. I also think it's one of the best looking car's in it's class.

At the end of the day I'm not looking for something with top-notch handling, a motorway cruiser or a spacious beast but something which is a bit of everything - I suppose 'average in too many areas' is what I'm looking for.

FYI I've ordered and Ibis White A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi 140 Sport S-Tronic with Cruise Control, BOSE, Auto Sensor Pack, Flat Tyre Monitor, Non-Smoking Pack & Debadge for £1500 dep & £335/month. 15k miles over 4 years - I know I said that I'll be doing 25'000 miles but that's only for two years (then I buy an A5) then the Mrs does 5'000 for two years and everyone's a winner. If it's worth more than GFV I trade it in - if it's worth less than GFV I hand it back.

chiefwiggumpi
27-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi

I had exactly the same dilemma when i got my A3 just over 18 months ago. I was looking at 2.0 tdi 170 on both the Audi and VW Golf. Went to test drive the VW had to beg my local dealer to let me drive one then he couldnt even be bothered to go with me for the test drive! I found the Golf 170 too much power for the handling set up on the car personally speaking by that i mean i was constantly wheel spnnining then traction control would cut in plus other little bits kind of took the edge off it.

Went to Audi after VW only offered 9% discount got a far better deal found far better service got £1750 off before we started to haggle. I like the Golf but love my A3 trouble is the agreement ends June 2010 and im looking already! I like the look of the new golf but prefer the Audi despite what car reviews. Ive got the 2.0 Tdi 140 Sport in 3 door. Next time i want the same in sportback having lived with the 3 door but annoyingly i cant order xenons on the sport anymore which i wish i had on mine so assuming i win the premium bonds ill be ordering a sportback s line with xenons 2.0 tdi....for me a great car with a great engine.