PDA

View Full Version : PLease help!!!!! audi A3

Wrooty
08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I have just bought an Audi A3 s reg 1.9 tdi, it seem to be loosing coolant, can;t see any leaks. The temp is fine when you drive slowley but as soon as you travel around 75/80 it over heats.

Do anyone had experiance of this? I have been told it could be the head gasket or the water pump.

Any ideas

rydale13
21-11-2008, 09:39 PM
it could be something simple like the coolant expansion cap, pretty common part. fiver from GSF car parts.

Best thing to do is get it pressure tested at a garage to find any leaks.

it could be the thermostat also.

If you can run dhe car to temp.

feel both the coolant hoses running from the radiator, if one is lots cooler than the other, then the thermostat is stuck closed.

best thing to do is take it to a garage for testing before making any assumptions matey.

Wrooty
21-11-2008, 09:56 PM
got it checked out, it needs the head skimming, new headgasket, new cambelt kit and all the other trimmings that go with it. It's going to be a costly job. I need to change the front grill, have you any idea if I can change it without removing the bumper?

Regards john

Crasher
21-11-2008, 09:57 PM
The head gasket is the prime suspect but the water pump is also a very common failure, I have one exactly the same to do on Monday. You have to ask yourself why the previous owner got rid of it…

Wrooty
21-11-2008, 10:11 PM
the garage Dias the waterpump had Broken and that had knackered the rest of it, I'm really lucky as I've got a mate who is a machanic. Have you had any problems the the steering making a noise it only does it at low speeds if you turn full lock left of right? It's a griding noise.