PDA

View Full Version : Question Fuel consumption

petor
08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I have changed from an A3 Sportback 2.0 fsi manual to a 2.0 tfsi s-tronic.
I have found a suprising increase in fuel consumption, which I did not expect. About 4-5 mpg.
Is this normal? I expect I drive it a bit faster, as it is so much more fun but even taking it easy, it seems to use more fuel.
This may be a silly question but when travelling at constant speed in 6th, as on the motorway, would it be more economic to put it in manual ie. change lever over to the left?

Brandenburger
16-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I have a 2.0 s tronic so i know what you mean ,a 4/5mpg loss is a small price to pay
for the fun of racing away from stop in the auto,in my experience it does not lower
consumption putting it in manual shift it just makes your arm ache !

porterclough
17-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Audi's figures are 3 or 4 mpg less for the 2.0 turbo compared to standard 2.0 I think...

Having driven both, the 2.0T seems to have a lot more torque at low revs even when there can't be much boost pressure, so it's not just because you drive it more enthusiastically, there seems to be a big difference in the map.

Also on my 2.0 FSI I get 40mpg at 70mph on motorway, but only 36.5mpg at 80 ish, so it doesn't take a lot of extra speed to scrub the mpg off.

petor
17-11-2008, 11:35 PM
With my 2.0 fsi I could get upper forties mpg at 60-65 on the motorway, which I thought was extremely good.
So you are suggesting that it is the turbo rather than the DSG box that causes the consumption to be higher? I would have thought that a turbo engine would be more efficient.
Maybe that is why Audi also do a 1.8T, because it is more economical?
Dont know nuffink about maps! You mean on the Sat Nav?!!!

whitegoosedown
24-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I used to get 46mpg on a run out of my 2.0 fsi then I had the oil and filter changed and now I don't seem to get much more than 41/42. Ummm.

Turbos do use more fuel, I suppose by allowing the engine to consume more.