PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Polo 2002 - power steering fault

vw1992
13-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi there,

Our Polo doesn't like the steering wheel turned too quickly, e.g. when reverse parking. It's fine on the open road as it were.

The electric steering pump has two operating modes, one for quick turns and one for normally road driving when the steering is moved slowly.

Now then, is it the sensor in the steering rack? or is it the pump control unit or something else?

Anyone come across this fault before? what the most likely cause might be?

Cheers

Veg
25-02-2007, 01:41 AM
simalar problem occured in my old mans focus. turned out the pipes were just caked up with dirt. and recently in my clio but after opening the bonnet i swear the problem is that it hasnt got power steering! try taking the hoses off and see if theres any muck in them, or possibly even the pump, and around where the reservoir is connected. if not then it may be a sensor of some sort as you say.

vw1992
09-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks Veg,

What do you think a VW garage would do to analyse the fault? I put it in for them to decide and the result is....... The diagnostic shows there is no fault so all they can suggest is that they replace the 'power steering pump' for an all inclusive price of £649.00.

OK, no, I have not accepted that solution!!

The fault appears to be intermittent so I guess I'll have to look into getting another sensor . Wonder much that costs1

Cheers

vw1992

2oomph
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
hello mate, i got problem with my polo the power steering just dont work:zx11:, i rang abt few breeakers and my luck them dont ave one with same model number, prices were ranging from £100-£200 with a 3 month guarantee

thanks

sean196766
18-10-2009, 06:29 PM
hello mate, i got problem with my polo the power steering just dont work:zx11:, i rang abt few breeakers and my luck them dont ave one with same model number, prices were ranging from £100-£200 with a 3 month guarantee

thanks

hello mate, so eventually the problem is fixed by replacing the hydraulic power steering pump?

thanks man

vw1992
19-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi 200mph,

Eventually bought the sensor for £75. Breakers yard quoted me a sensor OK but had to buy the rack as well! (£100)

Fitted the sensor after squirming around under the car. It would have been easier if i had worked out how remove the fron bumper trim.

Good news was that the sensor cured the problem (of slow response to steering wheek movement, like when parking).

On another fault....If you haven't had the poor starting when warm problem yet (just like flooding carburettor problem), it's the coolant temperature sensor which was telling the car the engine was cold when it was warm,i.e. go for short run from cold then leave car for an hour...come back and it won't start.

To change it quickly just remove the circlip and do a quick swop of the sensor (when engine is cold, hardly any coolant comes out) then top up with coolant as necessary.

Cheers

vw1992:Blush: