PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Golf gt 170 tsi

tobyemery
07-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I am waiting to get one of these cars..cant get it till may due to insurance :mad:. But ive been a litlle put off after reading jeremy clarkson reveiw, stating it is probally one of the 5 worst cars hes ever drove, saying it had umph and that it was jolty and not worthy of being a gt.

can anyone tell me other wise..eg what you think of the car.

maisbitt
07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I cant comment on the TSI, but I have a GT Sport TDI170 and it's the best diesel i've ever driven. It's noticeably quicker than the TSI in the overtaking range (30-70). Maybe Clarkson just thinks everyone who'd look at a TSI should pay the extra £3500 and get a GTI - I would if I was paid as much as him for blowing caravans up.

Best place to look for a price is uknewcars.com, you should get your dealer to match their deals, especially in the current economic climate.

If you're not in a rush, why not wait for the Mk 6, available from Jan, and get the TSI 160PS - it's a lot kinder at the pumps than the current 170 and it'll be worth more when you sell it on. If you do get the Mk5 then you'll want a huge discount with the new model imminent.

tobyemery
07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I cant comment on the TSI, but I have a GT Sport TDI170 and it's the best diesel i've ever driven. It's noticeably quicker than the TSI in the overtaking range (30-70). Maybe Clarkson just thinks everyone who'd look at a TSI should pay the extra £3500 and get a GTI - I would if I was paid as much as him for blowing caravans up.

Best place to look for a price is uknewcars.com, you should get your dealer to match their deals, especially in the current economic climate.

If you're not in a rush, why not wait for the Mk 6, available from Jan, and get the TSI 160PS - it's a lot kinder at the pumps than the current 170 and it'll be worth more when you sell it on. If you do get the Mk5 then you'll want a huge discount with the new model imminent.

That sounds true. nd diesels are normally quicker in that range arnt they . and im planning on getting a second one..as £19k is a bit to much for me..ill im only 18 lol. but a two year old one will be £9k. you rekon there give me discounts for that due to the release of the mk6 or not.

paul b
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
That sounds true. nd diesels are normally quicker in that range arnt they . and im planning on getting a second one..as £19k is a bit to much for me..ill im only 18 lol. but a two year old one will be £9k. you rekon there give me discounts for that due to the release of the mk6 or not.
As an 18 year old you're doing very well to get any sort of Golf! :p

My son will be 17 in March and we've got him a Skoda diesel as seen in my sig. And he's happy! But if you have some decent NCB by the time you get the Golf then you should be fine.

I can vouch for the 170 TDI, my mate has it in an A3, it's laggier than the 140 TDI but it will keep up with and even pass many cars far more expensive than itself. The 170 TDIs are a proper wolf in a sheeps clothing.

Paul

tobyemery
07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
As an 18 year old you're doing very well to get any sort of Golf! :p

My son will be 17 in March and we've got him a Skoda diesel as seen in my sig. And he's happy! But if you have some decent NCB by the time you get the Golf then you should be fine.

I can vouch for the 170 TDI, my mate has it in an A3, it's laggier than the 140 TDI but it will keep up with and even pass many cars far more expensive than itself. The 170 TDIs are a proper wolf in a sheeps clothing.

Paul

lol ive just got a lil 306 atm, but saving like mad. got a full time job nd then theres finanance..thinks its a bout £1600 for the insurance thats nothing im paying £2000 for my 306 :zx11: but yer i do like the sound of the diesels,,ill have to test drive a few of the golfs

paul b
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
lol ive just got a lil 306 atm, but saving like mad. got a full time job nd then theres finanance..thinks its a bout £1600 for the insurance thats nothing im paying £2000 for my 306 :zx11: but yer i do like the sound of the diesels,,ill have to test drive a few of the golfs
The first diesels I had were in the mid-late 90s in vans. They were that loud and chuggery (?) that I thought I'll never have a diesel car. Then I got the A6, I assure you, when you put your foot down at the lights it beats many, many other petrol cars! I had a Merc C200 estate auto and it was horribly slow, after the A6 I would buy a diesel every time.

Paul