PDA

View Full Version : Steering Lock Defective/Immobiliser Fault

limawhiskey
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
My B6 2.0 TDI has an annoying fault. Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition it clicks loudly and says Steering Lock Column defective in the MFD. I realise that the mechanism is motorised in the absence of a 'key' but wondered if anyone's come accross this and what is the fix? I also get the problem with the immobiliser not talking to the key hence engine won't start and 'Engine Fault Workshop' in MFD. This does clear if you wait 20-30 seconds. Car is now out of warranty but is going in to VW in 2 weeks and have requested VW contribute to the cost as this fault has nothing to do with mileage.
Also, I've lost some of the convenience functions such as the Coming Home function - I have the Multi Function Steering wheel and it used to work - is this something VW can reinstate when they plug the car in to look at the faults?
Any useful help will be appreciated.

xpro
01-12-2008, 11:05 PM
i have exact same problem. poxy car just wont start.When i put the key into ignition,nothing happens as if the key is not regognised at all.

Lemonslap
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Mine just won't operate the starter motor but the ignition does come on (50% of the time).

Spudrig
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
xpro your key might need re-programmed. I had this problem with my spare key the last time I went in for a recall. The normal key worked grand, but I couldn't find it one day and had to use the spare but the car didnt even detect it. It had to be re-programmed!

limawhiskey
02-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Just an update on my original post. When I inserted the 'key', the ignition did come on but the car would start and then cut out due to the immobiliser. The car's been into VW and was diagnosed as needing a new 'Courtesy Control Module' (this will be familiar to B5 and B5.5 owners as it is notorious for going wrong due to water ingress and bad wiring) and a new steering lock ECU. The dealer did try replacing Relay 15 as this has fixed faults in the past but not in my case. The upshot is that the car was in for 3 days and I am now short of £687 - VW paid 25% of the £900 bill which is really generous of them - NOT.
I am now going to write to VW and complain that on a 2.5 yr old car this should not have happened.
Before this the car was in at the same dealer for a cambelt, tensioner, water pump, major service and rear pads which cost £600 - including the fault read for the immobiliser problem.
Unfortunately for ignition faults etc you are at the mercy of the dealer network as although independent garages can fault read they do not know how the cars are put together and even the dealers refer to VW technical. Bring back Mk2 Golf 8V GTIs - so easily fixed.....!

Flash2
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't know if your aware of this or not, and it may not apply to you vehicle anyway but a year or so ago VW had a recall which required the steering lock ECU and the comfort ECU to be replaced on Passats. The steering lock ECU is a tiny little black box attached to the steering column but to replace it you need to replace the whole steering column assembly. German engineering at it's best - NOT!

Regards - Jim