PDA

View Full Version : A4 quattro - mixed tyres

dav1000
13-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi

I've just bought a 2001 A4 3.0 sport quattro with 3 good michelin primacy (235/45/17's) and 1 worn at the rear (dealer replaced good spare with one of the worn rears I suspect).

I am considering replacing both the rears so as not to harm the quattro system/difs and want to go for pirelli p-xero nero's.

My question is wether its ok to go with the 2 michelins up front and 2 pirellis at the back (obviously with different tread patterns) with a view to changing the fronts to pirrellis when worn or wether I should have matching tyres all round to avoid any issues?

cheers :confused:

Sam
13-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Welcome aboard!

With a FWD car, the newer tyres always go on the back and it's generally fine to mix brands (front to rear but not side to side)

AWD/4WD - I'm not too sure. If the rolling radii are the same, I wouldn't have thought it has a huge impact on anything. Is the car a true AWD?

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi

I've just bought a 2001 A4 3.0 sport quattro with 3 good michelin primacy (235/45/17's) and 1 worn at the rear (dealer replaced good spare with one of the worn rears I suspect).

I am considering replacing both the rears

Wise move!

so as not to harm the quattro system/difs

The Torsen quattro permanent 4 wheel drive system can cope very well with tyres with different wear rates (unlike the part-time Haldex system!). The only area of concern, the ABS/ESP might be a little more sensative, but after the initial self-calibration, would sort itself out anyway!

and want to go for pirelli p-xero nero's.

What for???? They'll be wasted on your A4. Stick with Michelin, but use the Pilot Exalto PE2 - a cracking tyre, based on their ultra performance Pilot Sport PS2!

My question is wether its ok to go with the 2 michelins up front and 2 pirellis at the back (obviously with different tread patterns) with a view to changing the fronts to pirrellis when worn or wether I should have matching tyres all round to avoid any issues?

You'll be perfectly fine with matched pairs on axles, even if front to rear are different! The Torsen is actually designed to cope with issues like that!

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Funny i always thought this was the new members section silly me :dunno:
i really must learn how to read.
Now where did i put that dog.

R you stalking me? ;)

Teutonic_Tamer
13-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Not hard is it all i have to do is look in all the wrong sections :p

LOL - I don't start 'em mine dew!

Ive just noticed you have more posts then me but i have a larger rep does that mean im better than you ? :p :D :p

No - it just means you are a posting "tart", or "floosie" :3some: . I'm very careful, I use "protection" :blindfold , and won't just go with anyone :Blush2: !

RickT
17-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

RicKT