PDA

View Full Version : retro fit sat nav on 2005 2.0t fsi

Janus99
06-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I have information that suggests that a retro fir audi sat nav can be done fairly cheaply. Does anyone know if there are shortfalls to doing this, and would anyone in the Kent area be able to do it for me (not audi as they are tooooo expensive,

http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/63879.phtml

tlionhart
06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
try: www.vwcruise.co.uk

a8 tech
06-11-2008, 08:38 PM
if you already have a double din radio then you can do it yourself.You will need the rnse unit a gps and thats it.You may need the double din multi plug but a3 is easy if you don't have veg com take it to the dealer to change the code and adaption channels.A3rnse units are always a bit more expensive than a4 but there will be some on flea bay

mactrack
27-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi,

Just joined this forum after selling my A3 earlier this week, I'm looking at getting a new A5, but I retrofitted a RNS-E and it was very simple. I replaced the Symphony II before selling so I have the complete Sat Nav package available for sale over on the Navplus (changed name since but is a great resource for retrofits) forum if you're interested;

http://audiforum.us/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=63&cat=6

P.S. I'm in Bromley, Kent!

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 10:09 AM
on a newer model a3 with a multi function steering wheel. Is this easy to retro fit? like plug and play?

*BUMP*

just realized the previous post. that answers my Q. Can't find the delete post tab

mactrack
27-12-2008, 10:33 AM
on a newer model a3 with a multi function steering wheel. Is this easy to retro fit? like plug and play?

Provided you have a double din (Symphony II) already installed it is very easy! The hardest part about the retrofit is removing the old stereo (tip get the proper VAG keys or the ones noted as T10057). I had a facelifted 2006 A3 as below;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/815579.htm

If you have an even later model which came with a double din Symphony II+/Concert II+ then you do not even need the plug & play adaptor. I also had the MFSW and that worked straight away because the RNS-E had been VAG Com coded for it.

You are also supposed to VAG com the car but my A3, along with many others, the DIS just started working within driving a few miles after installation. Also I had my car serviced at a main dealer with the RNS-E still installed and the dealer advised that I had no fault codes!

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 10:41 AM
how do you fit the gps antenna?
I think its cheaper to buy the unit aftermarket than to pay £1900 for it. Also, i could sell my existing symph player and make a few bob towards the sat nav. Is your sat nav unit DVD based with the SD chips, etc?

mactrack
27-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I think its cheaper to buy the unit aftermarket than to pay £1900 for it. Also, i could sell my existing symph player and make a few bob towards the sat nav. Is your sat nav unit DVD based with the SD chips, etc?

Hi,

Yes it is much cheaper to buy the unit aftermarket as can be seen by my price. Mine is the DVD with SD card (very useful) slots and also comes with a genuine Audi TMC DVD disc set (many come with copied discs which the drive can sometimes reject when you least want it to) also complete with a genuine Audi instruction manual whereas others come with a pdf copy on a CD.

Personally I would keep your Symphony II as they worth only pennies and, as I found out, you will get more money by selling the RNS-E separately when you sell you A3 than by leaving it installed as sure people prefer higher spec A3's but they are not prepared to pay any more for them!

mactrack
27-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Sorry forgot to mention about the GPS antenna. When you remove the stereo from the double din slot there is a hole on the top side which leads to a void space in the dashboard (between the two central air vents) and this allows the antenna to be completely hidden and works a treat.

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 11:03 AM
when you sell you A3 than by leaving it installed as sure people prefer higher spec A3's but they are not prepared to pay any more for them!

Thats what the dealer said. Unless im going to use the device a lot....when he ment a lot-in order to get my pennies worth, then its a great option. However, i havn't really needed them. So should my driving habit change, i could always invest in a sat nav from halfords. But to be honest, these look really tacky! I prefer the genuine audi ver.

Like you said, the dealer said 'i would prob only get £400 as a return for it'. The next guy who buys the car after i've used it will be happy, whereas i would have lost a bit of £££ on optional extras.

The ones i got now are the optional extras i would want on future cars i buy. (for example i don't i have cruise control as i don't do a lot of motorway or lengthy A road driving) I could always fit it later if i need it.

Have you ever experienced some weird directions from the audi sat nav? I remember having an A4 with it built in (whilst mine was being repaired) I thought i'll try it out as i've never used the sat nav before. I live next to the M25, it expected me to drive accross the field and northbound carrigeway, then join the motorway :aargh4:

mactrack
27-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Thats what the dealer said. Unless im going to use the device a lot....when he ment a lot-in order to get my pennies worth, then its a great option. However, i havn't really needed them. So should my driving habit change, i could always invest in a sat nav from halfords. But to be honest, these look really tacky! I prefer the genuine audi ver.

Like you said, the dealer said 'i would prob only get £400 as a return for it'. The next guy who buys the car after i've used it will be happy, whereas i would have lost a bit of £££ on optional extras.

The ones i got now are the optional extras i would want on future cars i buy. (for example i don't i have cruise control as i don't do a lot of motorway or lengthy A road driving) I could always fit it later if i need it.

Have you ever experienced some weird directions from the audi sat nav? I remember having an A4 with it built in (whilst mine was being repaired) I thought i'll try it out as i've never used the sat nav before. I live next to the M25, it expected me to drive accross the field and northbound carrigeway, then join the motorway :aargh4:

With A3's second hand buyers are not really expecting the full Sat Nav so it is a bonus if you can find one with it. The overspecced A3's, where the original purchaser took the money no object approach to the options list, tend to be 3.2Q's and no one wants these engines any more (even Audi does not offer it since the last facelift). Whereas A5/6/8 buyers are going to want it, whether they use it or not, as one without will be seen as less desirable and therefore worth less come resale time.

If you buy an aftermarket RNS-E and sell it separately, when you have sold your A3, you will likely get most if not all of your money back.

I looked into the retrofit before I ordered my A3 so knew to specify the Symphony II for the double din. Whilst you may not use it lots for places you already know how to get to if you do set the destination you will then get the traffic updates and you will get re-routed if there is a problem. In my opinion it was well worth paying extra, over a tom tom, as the instructions can be heard over the stereo and more importantly the DIS also shows the directions and this is where your eye naturally falls when driving and not the main screen down on the centre console. Oh and you don't have to keep detaching/hiding the unit!

As far as directions are concerned I've never had the sort of problem you have had but it will calculate the shortest route, regardless of average speed, however if you make a wrong/turn it will automatically recalculate the route.

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 01:22 PM
do you have to have a 6cd player? Or is there a slot for one disc? I have got the usb connection coming soon

mactrack
27-12-2008, 01:41 PM
do you have to have a 6cd player? Or is there a slot for one disc? I have got the usb connection coming soon

The only reason for ordering the 6 CD changer was to get the double din so that the RNS-E could be retrofitted. The standard Concert II head unit was a single din unit.

That was back in late 2005 when I ordered my A3 whereas the current A3's standard headunit is already a double din so you do not have to upgrade just to get the right sized hole in the dashboard!

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 01:48 PM
because i've noticed when you choose the nav+ as an option it says 'you must select either 6 cd changer, ipod adaptor, usb connection'.

With the new models, symphony 2 is the latest version? Think symphony 1 came with a tape dec too :banana:

mactrack
27-12-2008, 02:23 PM
because i've noticed when you choose the nav+ as an option it says 'you must select either 6 cd changer, ipod adaptor, usb connection'.

With the new models, symphony 2 is the latest version? Think symphony 1 came with a tape dec too :banana:

Are you sure that you absolutely have to order one of the additional items above? As I recall it was only strongly recommended by virtue of the fact that you cannot play any CD's in the RNS-E whilst you have the navigation DVD in the drive/working. Therefore you can only listen to the radio unless you have the separate (in the glovebox) 6 CD changer or AMI. However this, in my opinion, is a sales ploy as you can use the SD card slots for your MP3's.

In fact when I was at various dealers getting part ex prices for my A3 against a new A5 not one of them noticed that the RNS-E was a retrofit but all commented that they would have to fit either a 6 CD Changer or AMI as potential buyers would say "How do I play my CD's when under Sat Nav instructions then?" When I replied "Use the SD card slots then" I was politely informed that I was in the very small minority of owners who would actually do this!

Symphony II+ is the latest version (plays MP3 CDs) I had the Symphony II and it had the tape deck as well.

tlionhart
27-12-2008, 05:32 PM
im not fond of the 6cd changers. I wouldn't mind the ipod adaptor, but personally wouldn't want to loose my ipod. The usb hub sounds better. It can live in the glovebox.

Also the new A3 has an AUX port under the arm rest so i could still use the ipod if i wanted or needed to.