PDA

View Full Version : Audi Avant - blue smoke is it terminal?

audy
13-02-2007, 03:45 PM
hi all!
i'm new to this so please bear with me. i'll jump straight in with my prob, i've just bought a 2001 1.9tdi engine code ajm automatic with 132k on the clock, full audi history up untill 20k ago, then the guys m8 serviced it, i've replaced the belt kit with original audi parts and put a new head cover on, and done allthe filters and oil again all genuin parts, the problem i have is there appears to be blue smoke especially on start-up coming from the exhaust and when i remove the head cover breather pipe it's puffing out a fair amount , i'm not a mechanic but i know thats not right, i just wondered if anyone could give me some advise, it'd be much appreciated, i mean do these engine suffer with any known weaknesses , or are there any peculiarities with these particular engines? sorry to waffle on. i live in sm3 by the way.:confused::confused::confused: doh! i think i've posted this in the wrong area . appologies

Sam
13-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Welcome aboard!

Please let me know which vehicle this is about and I'll move it to the correct section

audy
13-02-2007, 06:41 PM
hi all
i do apologise, 1st time and all that.:Blush2: :Blush2: but it won't let me paste nor remove, anyway it's a audi avant, if you can move this to the right area , i'd be muchly appreciated.daz

VanWheeler
13-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Normally means your burning oil.

Sam
14-02-2007, 10:24 AM
hi all
i do apologise, 1st time and all that.:Blush2: :Blush2: but it won't let me paste nor remove, anyway it's a audi avant, if you can move this to the right area , i'd be muchly appreciated.daz

Moved to the A4 section, if it's an A6, then let me know.

audy
14-02-2007, 10:30 AM
it is an a4 , and it's a tiptronic auto 5s .thanx sam!:o

onzarob
14-02-2007, 11:15 AM
You say you did the timing belt, if the timing is out it can cause the same symptoms, I would check that first before assuming the worst. epecially if it was ok before.

Rob:D

audy
14-02-2007, 11:50 AM
hi rob
i bought all the genuine audi locking pins to lock the camshaft, crankshaft and i know 100% that the timing is perfect, i also did a compression test and that came out at 28bar all round, which is good although it took a few cranks to build up which might be a pointer to the rings, just a bit of history to let you know, the guy i bought it off, ran it with a faulty air mass meter for about 8 months , just put it down to being a diesel[doh]. well when i poked around as you do, i found that the inlet manifold was thick with gunge, and there was oil throughout the air intake pipework, which i've now cleaned out , but this puffing from the headcover breather pipe is going to blow some back in there again. is there another ccv that might be blocked or some other cause , before i condemn the rings , and if it is the rings is it just a case of changeing them and fitting a new oil pump maybe? daz.

onzarob
14-02-2007, 12:11 PM
The fine tune timing on a PD engine is very difficult and VW have a machine for getting it right. someone on here should be able to confirm this.

when you did the compression test did you also do it wet to check the valve stems?

Cleaning the manifold will help, did you do it off the engine?

Rob ;D

onzarob
14-02-2007, 12:56 PM
this also may be relevent http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2588

audy
14-02-2007, 02:13 PM
hi rob
i'm not sure about 'wet test' ? and as far as i'm aware there is no fine tune for the timing belt, as i understand it's done electronically by various position sensors, maybe sombody can confirm that. as the inlet manifold, i removed it complete with egr and thoroughly cleaned it . do you have one of these engines in your car then rob?:confused:

onzarob
14-02-2007, 02:50 PM
No I have VE engine, code AFN (110bhp). Now from what I understand. when you do the VE timing you change the belt with locks inplace then. use VAG-COM to put the ECU in basic mode which then gives the static timing. The VE engine then adjust the timing dynamically based on fuel and driving conditions.

The PD engine does not do this and needs to be timed correctly, manually. I would assume that you need some kit to check that its correct. The way you changed the belt is correct but as i understand it should be fine tuned after this has been done. may be worth speaking to an independant VW garage to see how they do it.

I no expert with PD engines, but as the injectors are driven by the camshaft then belt timing is crucial.

onzarob
14-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry forgot to explain the wet test, basically you do a compression test, then you squirt oil into the pistons. This seals the bores and if the compression comes up higher then its the bores/rings and if its still low then the valves/valve stems are more likey to be worn.

You don't mention the mileage of the car?

audy
14-02-2007, 03:00 PM
rob are you saying squirt clean engine oil into the glow plug port, then fit the adapter and redo the compression test? the mileage is 132k by the way. daz:confused:

onzarob
14-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Yes to clean oil, it will smokes afterward but not for long just a couple of squirts. It just helps you decide if it top or bottom of the engine. My cars done 131k and I get a little smoke, but over 7000 miles I've only burnt 1/4 litre of oil! you may want to run it for a bit and see how the oil level goes.

audy
14-02-2007, 03:30 PM
rob
i' bought a geniscan can bus code reader , just waiting for it to arrive anytime soon, are you familiar with these , are they anygood, you guy's seem to talk about vag-com, trouble is i don't have a laptop only a desktop any thoughts? daz.

adamss24
15-02-2007, 12:55 AM
rob are you saying squirt clean engine oil into the glow plug port, then fit the adapter and redo the compression test? the mileage is 132k by the way. daz:confused:
DO NOT SQUIRT NO OIL INTO THE CYLINDERS OR ATEMPT TO DO A "WET" TEST ON A TDI, BECAUSE YOU WILL BLOW THE GAUGE-TESTER ...THE OIL WILL IGNITE UNDER THE HIGH COMPRESSION ! i SUGGEST YOU GO TO A GOOD GARAGE THAT COULD DO A LEAK-DOWN TEST ! WET TESTING ARE GOOD ONLY FOR PETROL ENGINES...HOPE THIS HELPS ! SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITAL LETTERS, BUT WANTED TO WARN SOMME OFF THE FOLKS OUT THERE...

onzarob
15-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Adamss24, learnt something today. Do you suspect the rings or something simpler?

audy
16-02-2007, 09:54 AM
thanx adam!
i'm still learning, as most are. well has anybody out there changed a set of rings on a pd engine ? any input would be much appreciated. also would any fault codes create the syptoms, or is it purely a mechanical thing?
daz :1zhelp:

adamss24
16-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks Adamss24, learnt something today. Do you suspect the rings or something simpler?

I would check the engine breather( undo the oil cap and if its any hissing- too much blow-by-then the breather needs cleaning/replacing) first. Blue smoke means shot turbocharger seals(on the exhaust side) and will get worse and leading to the failure of the catalyst. Shot seals on the compressor side will lead to a runaway engine-oil will pass trough the seals and the engine will run on it , revving itself to destruction. If you see that the engine accelerates by itself, STOP the engine with the ignition and put it in a high gear while you press the brakes to stall the engine ! Be verry quick when that happens as you wont have much time... Also, a compression test will see any pressure differences betwen cyl or better ,a leak down test will ascertain where the compression pressure is lost(rings, valve guides, shot valves). I would disconect the bottom hose from the intercooler and see how much oil will come out off it. More than a few table spoons means shot turbo seals. Also check the oil level as its known that when overfilled will behave the same, resulting in a useless catalyst and its dificult to spot. White smoke means unburnt fuel- faulty injector nozzles ,or pump on its last legs for the older engines with a VE Bosch rotary pump. Black smoke, too much fuel and not enough air in the cylinders, replacind the air filter often helps, but might be incorect spray pattern from the nozzles...or a faulty MAF.

audy
16-02-2007, 09:39 PM
what engine breather are we talking ? cause there's one inbuilt into the head cover but i've put a completeley new cover on ,i don't know of any others on this engine? are the turbo seals replaceable? iv'e done a compression test and there all the same pressure 28bars but it needed a few cranks to reach[don't know if thats usual].when i first got the car, i removed theintercooler and hoses and there were at least a few spoonfuls, and oil was throughout the airpipe system, which i've cleaned out. oil level is a bit on the low side , which i did on purpose.about 3mm above minimum. i like the sound of turbo seals, any way of specifically testing those, and are they alone replaceable or is it a new ££££££££turbo££££££££. cheers daz.