PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0fsi Start up problem.

John Paterson
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi - Wondered if anybody had any ideas about this;

After the starter motor has turned the engine over a couple of times the engine fires up only to quickly stop again after about half a second.

I've tried two experiments after this event;

1) I've re-started the car again straight away and it starts as it should OK.

2) I've kept the key in the ignition position (3) after the initial fire-up to leave the starter motor turning the engine over and, after a couple more turn overs, the engine has re-started OK.

Any ideas??

A3_FSI_2.0
05-11-2008, 10:23 PM
have you noticed whether the immob light goes out?

John Paterson
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM
No, I haven't noticed that. At the risk of sounding like a fool, I presume you mean the red LED on top of the dashboard?

tonis
06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
It's usually a yellow light showing a key within a car, sort of thing.

My A3 1.9TDI started just like that, not recognising my key from time to time, and I ended up having to change the whole instrument panel... :zx11:

A3_FSI_2.0
06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.autonostics.com/skin1/images/vw-immo-2-m.jpg

tonis
07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Yep, that's the one.

John Paterson
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I've had the instrument panel changed under warrenty about 3 months ago, I wonder if it's no coincidence that as far as I can remember this problem appeared soon afterwards?

Also, thanks for posting the graphic of the light to look for on the dash instrument panel.
I'll look for it when I start the car and see what it's doing.

I'm now booked in with Grimsby Audi 17th Nov for this problem.

John Paterson
18-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Update;
Grimsby Audi have had my car overnight for this problem.
I've just spoken to them and they tell me the car started fine this morning and they've found no fault codes.
However, there was a warning that the battery needs changing.

Original price Grimsby Audi quoted for a new battery fitted was £170!
Bush quoted me £60.
Upon hearing this Grimsby Audi re-quoted me £131.48 plus the waiver of a £50 diagnostics fee.
I thought that was a really good deal so I've asked them to fit the new battery.
I have been thinking the battery needed replacing (on recent cold mornings it has laboured a bit) so I'm not suprised, I just hope it was in some way causing the start-up problem.
What do you think??

Thanks for the replys.

JP.