PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ESP light on and huge loss of power

tonis
05-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Before anyone accuses me of not doing my research before posting, yes, this is my first post and yes, I have done some reading before posting, but only found one old thread about this topic (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10217&highlight=S3+esp+light+power+loss+prob). As it is archived, I could not post there so here is the description of my problem.

I have a European (LH drive) Audi A3 1.9 TDI 2001. Everything has been fine in the last 7 years, but last week it began to lose power when going at low revs, only when engine is cold (below 60 deg C), and surprisingly the ESP light came on. I stop the car, switch off and on again, and I can carry on for a while until it happens again. Once the engine is hot, it runs perfectly OK again.

I have tried switching the ESP off, but it seems not to have an effect.

When it happens, the car feels like when actually the ESP comes on, on a tight bend, before you lose traction, it cuts the fuel injection. The feeling is very similar.

I think it may be the old AMF, as it is usually the culprit, but my symptoms are not quite the same as everybody else's. They usually suffer from loss of power at high revs, on motorways, and for long periods. Not me.

If you need more details just ask!

Thank you

Ochiltdi
07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I had something similar happen to me on an S3. It ended being a sensor, in my case on the back offside wheel brake. I cannot recall the exact fault, but this triggers the ESP, the fault lights indicate on the display, and the power is cut, I guess to put the car in a 'safe' mode. Because this was intermittent, it was a while before the Audi dealer tracked the fault down and in the end wasn't an expensive fix. I hope this helps.

tonis
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
I sure does! It makes perfect sense. I will see if disabling the ESP gets rid of the problem, albeit at the risk of skidding off at roundabouts :p.

If anyone else has a similar experience, I will appreciate their comments!

tonis
13-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I have been driving for a week with the ESP turned off and not once have I experienced the problem again. Considering I suffered from it every day at exactly the same time and place (coming back from work), it looks like we have solved my little problem.

Thanks! :beerchug:

S3 beast
14-11-2008, 06:08 PM
turning off ur ESP is only a tempary measure.. u will still need to get it looked at properly..

As annoying as ESP can be.. it could also save ur life one day!

clunk click, every trip
:biglaugh:

tonis
17-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Sure!

I only wait for the engine to heat up, and then reconnect the ESP. As soon as I have some time to spare I will take it to the dealer.

Cheers!

Matt S-Line
30-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I experienced the very same problem - in a week old 1.6 Sportback, last weekend.

My car went into Audi on Friday, and was fixed by the afternoon. The ECU had miscalculated the fuel/air mixture, and as I only had about 1/8 of a tank at the time, the car stalled after a period of driving in 'Safe Mode'.

Audi reset the ECU and told me that it was causing cylinders 1 and 3 to misfire. Since then the car has been absolutely perfect....

tonis
14-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I took the car to the Audi dealer here in Derby for service last monday and told them of the problem. They phoned me back later that day they had test driven it and diagnosed it and found no problems at all. Useless!!!

Mind you, they were also pretty useless at diagnosing simple faults, they called me to tell me my registration plate light was blown, and that it would be 10 pounds to replace, and phoned back an hour later to tell me it was only loose... Incompetence!!!!!